The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

16 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Oh for a tiny nation they kicked ass for a long time even with inbred royalty of dubious English heritage. Still it is a pretty repugnant history but they're far from unique in that.

One of these guys is British and the other is Russian:

Family Ties: Cousins King George V And Tsar Nicholas II On Noble Blood |  iHeartRadio

On 8/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, bishopshodan said:

Fairy Creek?

I work with my ex-logger nephew, he just loooovvves talking about those dudes.

The British empire is awesome....and pretty reprehensible. That little island really kicked some ass, bunch of hooligans.

Don't include us Scots in your empire you Sassenach so and so.

You can take our land but you can never take our freedom !

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Almost every empire at some point did some reprehensible stuff. There's not a single nation that are and were saints throughout their history.

I was listening to a lecture on this subject a couple of days ago.

All empires and nations have done things that they should be ashamed of.

The lecture was more about the effect of that shame on later generations that did not commit those acts.

That while we should admit/confront past mistakes and make sure we don't repeat them,shame should not define both a nation or an individual.

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Almost every empire at some point did some reprehensible stuff. There's not a single nation that are and were saints throughout their history.

There's also no Empire that did as much bad $&!# as England in history. Not to make it a competition, but hey Germany admitted they were messed up, a lot of European colonizing nations brush off their genocidal centuries because England wears it with pride and still love the royals that presided over hundreds of millions of dead foreigners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-07/two-killed-wildfires-spread-across-greece-residents-athens/100358448

I checked your fire thread and read a couple of members stories, heartbreaking.

This is when I actually get angry at the people who are in denial about climate change.

Societies like ours that have to deal with fire seasons like this on a yearly basis.

Each hemisphere's fire seasons merges into the next.

I would do the same.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8097258/child-rapist-killed-victim-brother-prison/

A 26-year-old went to prison for leading police on a wild chase in a stolen patrol car, only to find himself sharing a cell with the man who raped his underage sister a few years earlier.

So he killed him.

How can this be 25 years? Isn't this some kind of crime of passion? 

Should the jail not hold some responsibility? 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would do the same.

A 26-year-old went to prison for leading police on a wild chase in a stolen patrol car, only to find himself sharing a cell with the man who raped his underage sister a few years earlier.

So he killed him.

Yeah, given the fact that he even requested to be transferred out of the cell - there has to be some degree of culpability on the part of the jail staff.  Some heads need to roll to prevent a similar situation from happening.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I would do the same.

So he killed him.

This is 100% the prisons fault and his sentence should be reduced because of that fact. How do you not check into these things?

• Vintage 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:03 AM, Kurgom said:

There's also no Empire that did as much bad $&!# as England in history. Not to make it a competition, but hey Germany admitted they were messed up, a lot of European colonizing nations brush off their genocidal centuries because England wears it with pride and still love the royals that presided over hundreds of millions of dead foreigners.

Except we don’t wear it with pride, and the royals didn’t have much to do with it, the majority of the empire was built by parliament not by the monarch. 

also ‘loving the royals’ isn’t a tacit endorsement of past crimes of a nation

One of the key differences is that England acknowledges its past so it’s often more discussed than some countries who have buried that chapter in their history. 

On 8/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, bishopshodan said:

I would do the same.

So he killed him.

If everything is true, either prison set him up to do the dirty work or they are really incompetent.

No way he deserves the sentence that he got, hopefully he gets a good lawyer.

• Cheers 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:03 PM, Kurgom said:

English had the largest empire and at one point ruled over quarter of the world.

Once you start digging deep you realize that every empire has arms covered in blood up to elbows.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

English had the largest empire and at one point ruled over quarter of the world.

Once you start digging deep you realize that every empire has arms covered in blood up to elbows.

Condemning the American and British empires in a negative way is superficial. Read Beyond the Known. Unique look back into antiquity to many civilizations that contributed to the advancement of mankind. Even The Genghis Kahn gets brownie points. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is a load of crap.

Why do some grown ups have to be so lame?

12-year-old girl banned from playing in Sask. town over dressing room dispute on co-ed team

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/girl-banned-sask-hockey-1.6132201

With only that article to go on, I'd say the hockey ass. is in trouble here.

Just the fact that girl got booted out, allegedly because of her parents behavior, and not her two brothers, despite their parents behaviour get to stay; makes the parents case for them.

Edit

If the Hockey association has a problem with the parents, boot the parents out, keep the kids. Easy, done.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

With only that article to go on, I'd say the hockey ass. is in trouble here.

Just the fact that girl got booted out, allegedly because of her parents behavior, and not her two brothers, despite their parents behaviour get to stay; makes the parents case for them.

I had a giggle at the code of conduct the board wanted them to sign ..  'prohibited parents from "speaking negatively" about the executive'

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is a load of crap.

12-year-old girl banned from playing in Sask. town over dressing room dispute on co-ed team

This is the part that I thought to be total bs -

For this story, CBC News contacted board members who all settled on one main reason to deny Berkeley access: it was too risky to have unchaperoned boys in a dressing room with a girl, even a fully-dressed one. They cited the need to "protect both genders from a potentially compromising situation," and clarified that meant bullying, sexual harassment, or even assault.

Yeah keep the girl out because bullying, sexual harassment and assault never happen with just boys in the room! Punish the girl because boys might be asses? If those things are a risk teach the boys better and have a chaperone in the dressing room.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

This is a load of crap.

This is so stupid!  They’re kids, and they don’t care about this situation.  They all want to have fun together.  Let the kids play and have fun.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is so stupid!  They’re kids, and they don’t care about this situation.  They all want to have fun together.  Let the kids play and have fun.  

At 12 my son and his team mates were not showering yet but they did strip down to their shorts to put on their gear. At 12 there can be quite a physical difference among a team. That said the goal tender was a girl and that all went well. I would not have been comfortable if she had changed with the boys. She would change in a

different change room and then join the team for the pre-game pep talk. It all worked well.   

• Cheers 1