The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At 12 my son and his team mates were not showering yet but they did strip down to their shorts to put on their gear. At 12 there can be quite a physical difference among a team. That said the goal tender was a girl and that all went well. I would not have been comfortable if she had changed with the boys. She would change in a

different change room and then join the team for the pre-game pep talk. It all worked well.   

That's what this girl was doing. However not all arenas had a extra room. She started arriving in her under gear and putting her pads and uni on in the hallway outside the room so she could hear her friends on the team banter.

The rift escalated when Covid hit and all player had to arrive fully dressed anyway. 

Ironically, Berkeley's parents felt it would be an "easier" year, because under COVID-19 protocols, all players could only arrive at the arena 15 minutes before ice-time and had to come fully-dressed in their equipment, except for helmets, gloves and skates.

"We felt that finally she would be fully welcomed as part of the team and just walk right in as an equal," said Laurelea.

In an email to the Trayhornes last October, head coach Jason Brabant stated he had no issue with Berkeley and another girl being in the room with boys because all the players were arriving dressed. The team manager and assistant coach echoed that sentiment, stating it was clearly within the rules.

Yet, four days later, according to Berkeley, a group of board members physically blocked her as she tried to enter the team dressing room, saying she wasn't allowed in.

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Condemning the American and British empires in a negative way is superficial. Read Beyond the Known. Unique look back into antiquity to many civilizations that contributed to the advancement of mankind. Even The Genghis Kahn gets brownie points. 

Comparing people that lived in different eras has always been asinine IMO.

It’s like comparing athletes from today with the ones from 1900s.

Give me any empire and I will give you huge list of bad things that they have done.

Also lot of atrocities were committed prior to modern technology and 24/7 news.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Guess who's sitting around reading the news...

Anyway.

The Taliban now controls 65% of Afghanistan. They are taking over fast. 

Been following this.

Turning into a humanitarian catastrophe.

The images coming out of that country are extremely distressing.

Those freaks actually look like freaks, wild eyed,fanatical.

I keep hearing reports that the average Afghani believes in democracy and now feels betrayed by western forces retreating from their country.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Condemning the American and British empires in a negative way is superficial. Read Beyond the Known. Unique look back into antiquity to many civilizations that contributed to the advancement of mankind. Even The Genghis Kahn gets brownie points. 

Thanks for tip.

After researching it I will put that book on my must read list.

6 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Comparing people that lived in different eras has always been asinine IMO.

It’s like comparing athletes from today with the ones from 1900s.

Give me any empire and I will give you huge list of bad things that they have done.

Also lot of atrocities were committed prior to modern technology and 24/7 news.

I don't follow your logic? That is like saying the human condition is solely based on the era they happen to live. Even the study of geo politics can clearly tell us that physical reality impacts how populations react. 

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't follow your logic? That is like saying the human condition is solely based on the era they happen to live. Even the study of geo politics can clearly tell us that physical reality impacts how populations react. 

Human being's react as they all ways have.

That is the one thing that has not and never will change....human nature.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Been following this.

Turning into a humanitarian catastrophe.

The images coming out of that country are extremely distressing.

Those freaks actually look like freaks, wild eyed,fanatical.

I keep hearing reports that the average Afghani believes in democracy and now feels betrayed by western forces retreating from their country.

Could the UN (blue helmets) have helped after the US left?  Wishful thinking?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could the UN (blue helmets) have helped after the US left?  Wishful thinking?  

Hope someone does something...once again in it's history Afghanistan is a complete mess.

There is a boycott Pakistan movement growing, as they are being accused of helping the Taliban.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Human being's react as they all ways have.

That is the one thing that has not and never will change....human nature.

IMHO people should consider what 10% inflation would mean to how they live. 10% in contrast to the 20% we experienced in 1979-80. I suggest the vast majority will not fair well. As virtually all political parties continue to promise more with no regard to affordability the inevitable collapse grows near. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Meh, they could have done a lot better

Mike Richards, Mayim Bialik to split hosting duties on Jeopardy!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/mike-richards-mayim-bialik-jeopardy-hosts-1.6137539

It's funny, because at the time, people were quite impressed by Richards' performance. Most thought that he was the second best host after Ken Jennings. (I can only assume that Jennings isn't able to take on the gig for some reason, because no-one has come close)

However, there was a groundswell of support for Levar Burton and any choice other than him was going to cause a lot of disappointment.

I'm a bit surprised at Bialik's choice. I thought she was in the bottom echelon of hosts so far. Maybe they chose her because of her science background? :unsure:

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Guess who's sitting around reading the news...

Anyway.

The Taliban now controls 65% of Afghanistan. They are taking over fast. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/politics/us-citizens-afghanistan/index.html

US Embassy in Kabul again urges Americans to leave Afghanistan ‘immediately’

The US Embassy in Kabul again urged American citizens to leave Afghanistan “immediately” amid rapid Taliban gains in the country.

It is the second such security alert in less than a week urging the immediate departure of US citizens.

“The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately using available commercial flight options,” the embassy said Thursday, noting that Americans who cannot afford to purchase airline tickets should contact the embassy “for information regarding a repatriation loan.”

The embassy issued its alert as the Taliban continued its assault, seizing major cities and capitols, dealing blow after blow to the Afghan government, its army and the US and its allies who trained Afghan forces.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/12/politics/us-citizens-afghanistan/index.html

US Embassy in Kabul again urges Americans to leave Afghanistan ‘immediately’

The US Embassy in Kabul again urged American citizens to leave Afghanistan “immediately” amid rapid Taliban gains in the country.

It is the second such security alert in less than a week urging the immediate departure of US citizens.

“The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to leave Afghanistan immediately using available commercial flight options,” the embassy said Thursday, noting that Americans who cannot afford to purchase airline tickets should contact the embassy “for information regarding a repatriation loan.”

The embassy issued its alert as the Taliban continued its assault, seizing major cities and capitols, dealing blow after blow to the Afghan government, its army and the US and its allies who trained Afghan forces.

Biden government asks Taliban to not attack US Embassy.  Holy crap!  Is Biden handing Afghanistan to the Taliban?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/us/politics/taliban-afghanistan-us-embassy.html

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, don't dig her as a selection.

My wife wanted Aaron Rodgers....

...for Jeopardy, just Jeopardy the game show of course. Get your mind out of the gutter. 

I thought Jennings was the best. I'm hoping that it was just a case of him not being available, rather than being passed over....

I also thought Levar Burton would have been a better choice. For me, as much as I like AR, I though he was okay at best, as a host.