The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

On 10/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, bishopshodan said:

WTF.

I shoot crossbows, mine could drop large game. I often think about how deadly they are. 

This is terrible. 

5 killed, 2 injured by man armed with bow and arrows in Norway, police say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/norway-attack-bow-arrow-1.6209668

The other part of a bow or crossbow is it's very quiet. Worse, in places like Norway the police aren't always armed. 

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And this morning a British MP was just stabbed to death. You can disagree with a politician, but vote them out. Shouldn't have to resort to violence. 

we need to start regulating social media, its bringing us to scary new lows.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we need to start regulating social media, its bringing us to scary new lows.

Decent starting point, but only a starting point.

Imo, we really need to concentrate on elementary age kids; get them straightened out while they are still trainable. Cheaper than housing those that don't behave well in jail, for years at a time when they are adults.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Shatner addresses  Prince William's concerns regarding space travel:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/shatner-responds-to-prince-william-space-tourism-remarks/ar-AAPyYKt?ocid=msedgntp

At 90 years old, William Shatner became the oldest person to travel to space on Wednesday, taking a Blue Origin flight to the edge of space with three other passengers. Now the traveler is responding to critical comments by another, more royal, William. 

"We need some of the world's greatest brains and minds fixed on trying to repair this planet, not trying to find the next place to go and live," said Prince William, in an interview with BBC this week. He did not name the billionaires in the space race, which include Blue Origin's Jeff Bezos.

"I think that ultimately is what sold it for me – that really is quite crucial to be focusing on this [planet] rather than giving up and heading out into space to try and think of solutions for the future," the Duke of Cambridge said. 

Not only is Amazon's Jeff Bezos working to commercialize space flights, but Virgin Galactic's Richard Branson and Space X's Elon Musk also entered the space tourism race with similar passenger flights this year. 

Entertainment Tonight's Nischelle Turner spoke to Shatner after his Blue Origin flight and asked about the prince's comments. "He's a lovely Englishman. He's going to be king of England one day," Shatner said. "He's a lovely, gentle, educated man, but he's got the wrong idea."

Prince William, a father of three, also said space tourism raises the "fundamental question" over the carbon cost of space flights and he has "absolutely no interest" in going to space.

Shatner, who played space dweller Captain Kirk on "Star Trek" took the Blue Origin flight with Australian entrepreneur Chris Boshuizen, microbiologist Glen de Vries and Blue Origin executive Audrey Powers. 

Like Blue Origin's first passenger flight this year, which Bezos was on, those on board got a few minutes of weightlessness during the less than 11 minute flight.

Shatner said the journey was not about finding a place outside of Earth to inhabit, but one that looks to protect our planet.

"The idea here is not to go, 'Yeah, look at me. I'm in space,'" he told ET. "The landing that consumed all that... energy and people to take a look and go, 'Oh, look at that.' No." 

"I would tell the prince, and I hope the prince gets the message, this is a baby step into the idea of getting industry up there, so that all those polluting industries, especially, for example, the industries that make electricity... off of Earth," Shatner said. 

The actor said we have the technology to send the things to space, and we could "build a base 250, 280 miles above the Earth and send that power down here, and they catch it, and they then use it, and it's there." 

"All it needs is... somebody as rich as Jeff Bezos [to say], 'Let's go up there,'" he said, adding that Prince William is "missing the point."

"The point is these are the baby steps to show people [that] it's very practical. You can send somebody like me up into space," he said. Shatner did say, however, that he agrees with Prince William that there are issues to address on Earth, "but we can curl your hair and put lotion on your face at the same time."

Shatner said the flight was not a "religious experience" as some people liken it to, but is overwhelming, like holding your child for the first time. 

"You hold the baby and it's magical. It's so overwhelming. How am I going to protect this child?" he said. "You're flooded with the responsibility and need to take care of [the child] and how you're going to do it. That's an overwhelming experience, and I had that experience."

As for being the oldest person ever in space, Shatner said he "can't stand" being reminded of that fact. "It reminded me of the death facing me because of my age... But also how to protect you in the years to come, and my children, and my children's children," he said. "That's what's critical."

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

^ I'd be a bit more blunt and ask the Prince just what his family has done with their money; as they are one of the richest families on the planet.

How about it Prince, all talk, and no money?

P.S., being the spokesperson of various organizations is a good thing, but where does THEIR money go?

Edited by gurn
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Decent starting point, but only a starting point.

Imo, we really need to concentrate on elementary age kids; get them straightened out while they are still trainable. Cheaper than housing those that don't behave well in jail, for years at a time when they are adults.

its the algorithmic programming of anger in people thats got to stop. Some people just can't handle social media and what it can do to them. I think its not unlike drugs or booze in some ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Shatner addresses  Prince William's concerns regarding space travel:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/shatner-responds-to-prince-william-space-tourism-remarks/ar-AAPyYKt?ocid=msedgntp

At 90 years old, William Shatner became the oldest person to travel to space on Wednesday, taking a Blue Origin flight to the edge of space with three other passengers. Now the traveler is responding to critical comments by another, more royal, William. 

"We need some of the world's greatest brains and minds fixed on trying to repair this planet, not trying to find the next place to go and live," said Prince William, in an interview with BBC this week. He did not name the billionaires in the space race, which include Blue Origin's Jeff Bezos.

"I think that ultimately is what sold it for me – that really is quite crucial to be focusing on this [planet] rather than giving up and heading out into space to try and think of solutions for the future," the Duke of Cambridge said. 

Not only is Amazon's Jeff Bezos working to commercialize space flights, but Virgin Galactic's Richard Branson and Space X's Elon Musk also entered the space tourism race with similar passenger flights this year. 

Entertainment Tonight's Nischelle Turner spoke to Shatner after his Blue Origin flight and asked about the prince's comments. "He's a lovely Englishman. He's going to be king of England one day," Shatner said. "He's a lovely, gentle, educated man, but he's got the wrong idea."

Prince William, a father of three, also said space tourism raises the "fundamental question" over the carbon cost of space flights and he has "absolutely no interest" in going to space.

Shatner, who played space dweller Captain Kirk on "Star Trek" took the Blue Origin flight with Australian entrepreneur Chris Boshuizen, microbiologist Glen de Vries and Blue Origin executive Audrey Powers. 

Like Blue Origin's first passenger flight this year, which Bezos was on, those on board got a few minutes of weightlessness during the less than 11 minute flight.

Shatner said the journey was not about finding a place outside of Earth to inhabit, but one that looks to protect our planet.

"The idea here is not to go, 'Yeah, look at me. I'm in space,'" he told ET. "The landing that consumed all that... energy and people to take a look and go, 'Oh, look at that.' No." 

"I would tell the prince, and I hope the prince gets the message, this is a baby step into the idea of getting industry up there, so that all those polluting industries, especially, for example, the industries that make electricity... off of Earth," Shatner said. 

The actor said we have the technology to send the things to space, and we could "build a base 250, 280 miles above the Earth and send that power down here, and they catch it, and they then use it, and it's there." 

"All it needs is... somebody as rich as Jeff Bezos [to say], 'Let's go up there,'" he said, adding that Prince William is "missing the point."

"The point is these are the baby steps to show people [that] it's very practical. You can send somebody like me up into space," he said. Shatner did say, however, that he agrees with Prince William that there are issues to address on Earth, "but we can curl your hair and put lotion on your face at the same time."

Shatner said the flight was not a "religious experience" as some people liken it to, but is overwhelming, like holding your child for the first time. 

"You hold the baby and it's magical. It's so overwhelming. How am I going to protect this child?" he said. "You're flooded with the responsibility and need to take care of [the child] and how you're going to do it. That's an overwhelming experience, and I had that experience."

As for being the oldest person ever in space, Shatner said he "can't stand" being reminded of that fact. "It reminded me of the death facing me because of my age... But also how to protect you in the years to come, and my children, and my children's children," he said. "That's what's critical."

good for Bill. Prince Willy can go kick rocks, he has no imagination, nor does he speak from any sort of earned pov.

• Upvote 1

Vince Neil takes a tumble off the stage at a Tennessee rock festival....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/16/entertainment/vince-neil-motley-crue-fall/index.html

Mötley Crüe singer Vince Neil was injured Friday night when he fell off the stage during a solo concert at a Tennessee rock festival.

Neil and his band were playing the Crüe hit "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" at the Monsters on the Mountain festival in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, when he fell.
Video from the concert shows Neil give a spin with his guitar by his side and then walk to the side of the stage before slipping out of site.
The band finished the song and then carried on, playing a Led Zeppelin cover, according to fan Darrell Jenkins, who shot this video.
In another video, bass player Dana Strum explained to the crowd that Neil was hurt.
"The truth is Vince fell and broke ribs when he fell," Strum said. "He can't breathe and he's gonna get dealt with medically."
Strum said Neil wanted to tough it out and finish the show, but was told he shouldn't.
Neil has not posted any updates on his condition on social media.
The band then launched into Mötley Crüe's "Live Wire" and urged the audience to sing along, so Neil could hear them backstage.
Jenkins tweeted that Neil looked good and was singing great before the fall.
Earlier this year, Neil apologized to fans at one of his first post-pandemic performances and said his voice was gone.
Neil and his Mötley Crüe bandmates are scheduled to hit the road next June for a US stadium tour with Def Leppard, Poison and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

Broken ribs....ouch...

One can only assume that he has an appointment to see Dr. Feelgood....
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Some of this wokeness is just plain silly, it does nothing but gives ammunition to “you will not replace us” crowd.

SMH.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/indecency-art-institute-of-chicago-docents-diversity-firing-11634310172

Not much point posting nothing but a link when we can't read the article without subscribing to the WSJ.....

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I had the same problem.  But here's the story from Fox News:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/art-institute-of-chicago-fires-docents-diversity

What was I thinking.....Of course Faux News would run this story....:rolleyes:

As far as the story goes, I agree it's dumb, but I'm finding a hard time working up any outrage. That being said, I agree with CBH's assessment that this is the kind of self inflicted wound that drives moderates to vote Republican, even though I'd bet that most Democrats would disagree with it as well.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What was I thinking.....Of course Faux News would run this story....:rolleyes:

As far as the story goes, I agree it's dumb, but I'm finding a hard time working up any outrage. That being said, I agree with CBH's assessment that this is the kind of self inflicted wound that drives moderates to vote Republican, even though I'd bet that most Democrats would disagree with it as well.

As times goes by I feel that we have less and less moderates in this country.

The other day my parents saw a guy driving around with huge f…… Biden flag on his car.

Fox, Breitbart, TGP run stories like this to keep the base angry and agitated.

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The other day my parents saw a guy driving around with huge f…… Biden flag on his car.

'F... Trudeau' stickers are pretty popular on, well, mostly trucks around my area.

I hate decals on vehicles at the best of times. I think these trucks look so lame. Keep your stinking, vulgar attitude to yourself. 

I'm not  JT fan but moaning your political stance on you $100k truck is like ketchup on a kobe steak. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

'F... Trudeau' stickers are pretty popular on, well, mostly trucks around my area.

I hate decals on vehicles at the best of times. I think these trucks look so lame. Keep your stinking, vulgar attitude to yourself. 

I'm not  JT fan but moaning your political stance on you $100k truck is like ketchup on a kobe steak. 

Justin's dad would just give them the middle finger back.:lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Lol see that everyday around in Idaho. That and Trump 2024 and don't tread on me flags are everywhere. 

I just considered anyone flying those so blatantly to be showing off their lack of critical thoughts like it is a size down under competition. 

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Lol see that everyday around in Idaho. That and Trump 2024 and don't tread on me flags are everywhere. 

I just considered anyone flying those so blatantly to be showing off their lack of critical thoughts like it is a size down under competition. 

Yeah, I am sure there are plenty of potato heads in Idaho that support Trump.

Where I live Biden got almost 60% of the vote and you still see morons flying that kind of stuff.

I can’t imagine living in truly red places.