Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread


RUPERTKBD

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

my understanding is that the company responsible for the construction of the pipeline North Stream 2 - located in Switzerland - has not yet met the regulatory requirements necessary for the start of the pipeline.

The United States of America, some western european countries like France and some eastern european countries like Poland tried to stop the build of the pipeline arguing the increased dependency from Russian gas.

German politicians brought up that the pipeline would never go into operation if Russia invades the Ukraine. There 's basically two reasons for the current stop of the pipeline which is fully constructed, but not in operation yet:

 

- necessary regulatory requirements not yet met

- possible stop of the start of the pipeline as part of sanctions against Russia (Germany is a member of the NATO, and as such part of the Western alliance). Hope this provides some clarification.

Thanks Wolfgang....I get the idea....the US and EU would prefer to rely less on Russian gas....

 

The original point that was made was that the buildup on the Ukrainian border was a smokescreen, designed to halt the pipeline's progress. It just seemed odd to me that the US and it's allies would make up a story like that to halt a project that doesn't even touch Ukrainian territory.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thanks Wolfgang....I get the idea....the US and EU would prefer to rely less on Russian gas....

 

The original point that was made was that the buildup on the Ukrainian border was a smokescreen, designed to halt the pipeline's progress. It just seemed odd to me that the US and it's allies would make up a story like that to halt a project that doesn't even touch Ukrainian territory.....

no way that the US and it's allies would take such action to prevent the opening of the pipeline. There have been numerous initiatives from Republicans in the US senate and congress to impose sanctions on the companies involved in the construction of the pipeline and even sanctions on the small town in the north of germany which provides a port for the ships that were used to construct the pipeline. The biden admin wants to maintain a good relationsship with Germany. Therefore the biden admin had its share in turning down the latest intiative from the republicans to impose sanctions.

In fact there is a connection between the North Stream 2 pipeline in the baltic sea and the Ukraine. The Ukraine fears that the gas pipelines running through their territory will become redundant once North Stream 2 is in full operation. Therefore german politicans put some pressure on putin to negotiate and conclude a new contract between the Ukraine and Russia in terms of the gas and oil transportation which runs through the pipelines in the Ukraine. This contract has been concluded , not sure when - must be 1 year or less ago

 

Hope you're doing well in prince rupert in these challenging times.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, this doesn't sound good.  Hopefully, Canada is simply being extra-cautious.

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-warns-canadians-to-leave-ukraine-over-fears-of-russian-invasion/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Breaking News&utm_content=2022-2-7_22&utm_term=Ottawa warns Canadians to leave Ukraine over fears of Russian invasion&utm_campaign=newsletter&cu_id=t7%2BP3rI%2Bt%2FYx5Iui%2B6yRZxVYYZ6TE%2BGK

 

Ottawa is telling Canadians to immediately leave Ukraine in the anticipation of a Russian invasion.

 

A warning was issued Monday to Canadians who are registered with the department of Global Affairs, telling them to get out of the country on the first available flight and to avoid travel to Ukraine, a senior government official confirmed. The Globe and Mail is not identifying the source because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 7:02 AM, UnkNuk said:

Well, this doesn't sound good.  Hopefully, Canada is simply being extra-cautious.

 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ottawa-warns-canadians-to-leave-ukraine-over-fears-of-russian-invasion/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Breaking News&utm_content=2022-2-7_22&utm_term=Ottawa warns Canadians to leave Ukraine over fears of Russian invasion&utm_campaign=newsletter&cu_id=t7%2BP3rI%2Bt%2FYx5Iui%2B6yRZxVYYZ6TE%2BGK

 

Ottawa is telling Canadians to immediately leave Ukraine in the anticipation of a Russian invasion.

 

A warning was issued Monday to Canadians who are registered with the department of Global Affairs, telling them to get out of the country on the first available flight and to avoid travel to Ukraine, a senior government official confirmed. The Globe and Mail is not identifying the source because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

a couple of updates from my side on this topic:

 

1. Macron is very confident to reach an agreement with Putin after he had spoken with him almost 6 hours; based on the news coming out of this meeting I expect that Russia will receive the security guarantees requested earlier in a formal written request from Russia

 

2. Biden threated that the North Stream 2 pipeline will be shut down forever once Russia invades the Ukraine; german foreign minister Baerbock let russian foreign minister Lawrow know that the pipeline won't go into operation after a Russian attack

 

3. russia announced that the military drill will begin on February 10, 2022.

 

4. the olympic spirit (peace , unite people around the world) should hold russia back from an attack on the Ukraine, at least until the winter olympics will end 

 

5. russia just can't afford that the north stream pipeline will be completely shut down forever, because the russian oil giant Gazprom had invested billions of dollars

 

based on points 1 - 5 the likelyhood that russia invades Ukraine is remote ( i would say less than 10%).

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/popular-brazilian-podcaster-says-the-country-should-recognize-a-nazi-party/ar-AATFLwd?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

 

Jewish organizations in Brazil are outraged after a popular podcast presenter said the country should recognize a Nazi party by law.

Bruno Aiub, who goes by the name of Monark on social media, made the comments on an episode of his Flow podcast, which has millions of YouTube subscribers, that aired on Monday. 

He was in conversation with parliament members Tabata Amaral and Kim Kataguiri. Amaral pushed back, saying that “freedom of expression ends when your expression puts another’s life at risk,” and she said that Nazism puts the Jewish population at risk.

Monark defended his stance, adding on to his previous statement that he believes “if someone wants to be anti-Jew, they should have the right to be.” 

Later in the episode, Kataguiri added fuel to the fire, saying he was against the criminalization of Nazism in Germany. 

Monark posted an apology video on Twitter on Tuesday, claiming that he was very drunk and that he hopes people will be understanding. He didn’t seek an apology for the idea, rather what he said was the insensitive way he presented it. 

His podcast studio took down the episode and cut ties with him.

The incident did not die down: Also on Tuesday night, Adrilles Jorge, a prominent TV commentator and leading supporter of right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro, drew scrutiny after making a Nazi salute at the end of a debate about Monark’s podcast on the Jovem Pan TV show, in which he defended Kataguiri. 

Jewish organizations, such as Jews for Democracy and the Instituto Brasil-Israel, were quick to respond on Twitter, denouncing Monark’s statements. The Confederação Israelita do Brasil, the umbrella group of Brazilian Jewish communities and organizations, also released a statement condemning Monark. 

Jews for Democracy wrote, “Ideologies that aim to eliminate others must be banned. Racism and persecution of any identities are not freedom of expression.” 

IBI also condemned the podcast on their social media accounts while simultaneously putting pressure on the podcast’s sponsors, Insider Store and Flash Beneficios, to end their support of the show — which they both did within 24 hours of the episode’s release.

To address the controversy, the podcast invited André Lajst, executive director of the Brazilian chapter of StandWithUs, a pro-Israel advocacy organization, onto its episode on Tuesday. In it, Lajst discussed how the Nazi party rose to power in Germany.

“My objective,” Lajst wrote about the episode on Twitter, “was to correct statements made on the program yesterday, the 7th, in favor of the existence of a Nazi party in Brazil and the possibility of someone claiming to be anti-Jewish.”

Jewish groups in Brazil have been worried about the resurgence of Nazi rhetoric since Bolsonaro rose to power. In defense of his reluctance to shut down his country to reduce COVID-19 cases, Bolsonaro employed the expression “work sets you free,” which many felt trivialized a phrase associated with Auschwitz. Bolsonaro’s supporters have also been known to make Nazi salutes, including at rallies supporting the president. One of his aides was accused of flashing a white supremacist hand signal during a legislative hearing. 

The Monark incident comes during the same week that a far-right extremist from Germany, Nikolai Nerling, took shelter in Brazil to avoid being punished for his record of Holocaust denial — which is illegal in Germany. Nerling has continued to record and disseminate online content that denies the Holocaust while touring cities in the south of Brazil.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/popular-brazilian-podcaster-says-the-country-should-recognize-a-nazi-party/ar-AATFLwd?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

 

Jewish organizations in Brazil are outraged after a popular podcast presenter said the country should recognize a Nazi party by law.

Bruno Aiub, who goes by the name of Monark on social media, made the comments on an episode of his Flow podcast, which has millions of YouTube subscribers, that aired on Monday. 

He was in conversation with parliament members Tabata Amaral and Kim Kataguiri. Amaral pushed back, saying that “freedom of expression ends when your expression puts another’s life at risk,” and she said that Nazism puts the Jewish population at risk.

Monark defended his stance, adding on to his previous statement that he believes “if someone wants to be anti-Jew, they should have the right to be.” 

Later in the episode, Kataguiri added fuel to the fire, saying he was against the criminalization of Nazism in Germany. 

Monark posted an apology video on Twitter on Tuesday, claiming that he was very drunk and that he hopes people will be understanding. He didn’t seek an apology for the idea, rather what he said was the insensitive way he presented it. 

His podcast studio took down the episode and cut ties with him.

The incident did not die down: Also on Tuesday night, Adrilles Jorge, a prominent TV commentator and leading supporter of right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro, drew scrutiny after making a Nazi salute at the end of a debate about Monark’s podcast on the Jovem Pan TV show, in which he defended Kataguiri. 

Jewish organizations, such as Jews for Democracy and the Instituto Brasil-Israel, were quick to respond on Twitter, denouncing Monark’s statements. The Confederação Israelita do Brasil, the umbrella group of Brazilian Jewish communities and organizations, also released a statement condemning Monark. 

Jews for Democracy wrote, “Ideologies that aim to eliminate others must be banned. Racism and persecution of any identities are not freedom of expression.” 

IBI also condemned the podcast on their social media accounts while simultaneously putting pressure on the podcast’s sponsors, Insider Store and Flash Beneficios, to end their support of the show — which they both did within 24 hours of the episode’s release.

To address the controversy, the podcast invited André Lajst, executive director of the Brazilian chapter of StandWithUs, a pro-Israel advocacy organization, onto its episode on Tuesday. In it, Lajst discussed how the Nazi party rose to power in Germany.

“My objective,” Lajst wrote about the episode on Twitter, “was to correct statements made on the program yesterday, the 7th, in favor of the existence of a Nazi party in Brazil and the possibility of someone claiming to be anti-Jewish.”

Jewish groups in Brazil have been worried about the resurgence of Nazi rhetoric since Bolsonaro rose to power. In defense of his reluctance to shut down his country to reduce COVID-19 cases, Bolsonaro employed the expression “work sets you free,” which many felt trivialized a phrase associated with Auschwitz. Bolsonaro’s supporters have also been known to make Nazi salutes, including at rallies supporting the president. One of his aides was accused of flashing a white supremacist hand signal during a legislative hearing. 

The Monark incident comes during the same week that a far-right extremist from Germany, Nikolai Nerling, took shelter in Brazil to avoid being punished for his record of Holocaust denial — which is illegal in Germany. Nerling has continued to record and disseminate online content that denies the Holocaust while touring cities in the south of Brazil.

 

Brazil has the largest population of Catholics in the world 

 

170 million.

 

https://www.dw.com/en/the-ratlines-what-did-the-vatican-know-about-nazi-escape-routes/a-52555068

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect Putin has already decided to move into Ukraine. His more likely downside is a converted resistance movement from native Ukrainians. Certainly NATO is no deterrent. Putin success in Ukraine will encourage China to take out Taiwan. 
 

The world ends up with Europe dependent on Russian energy and China controlling the supply of industrial chips. The world is fat and happy?

Edited by Boudrias
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect Putin has already decided to move into Ukraine. His more likely downside is a converted resistance movement from native Ukrainians. Certainly NATO is no deterrent. Putin success in Ukraine will encourage China to take out Taiwan. 
 

The world ends up with Europe dependent on Russian energy and China controlling the supply of industrial chips. The world is fat and happy?

Putin (or rather the oligarchs supporting him) are afraid more of the Ukraine in the EU imho than NATO.  NATO just gives him an excuse to move in.

 

Taking over is one thing, holding it is another (Ukraine).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Putin knows his economic cost for invading Ukraine is massive. If he's willing to accept that then his end game isn't Ukraine. It's Ukraine + Belarus + Lithuania + (maybe Latvia + Estonia) + probably Moldova as well.

 

If you're going to get grounded forever for stealing a cookie you might as well steal all the cookies.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Putin (or rather the oligarchs supporting him) are afraid more of the Ukraine in the EU imho than NATO.  NATO just gives him an excuse to move in.

 

Taking over is one thing, holding it is another (Ukraine).

C'mon mate 

 

Ukraine has /might/ be provided by NATO " weapons of mass destruction".

 

That's a great 21st century excuse for an illegal invasion. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

C'mon mate 

 

Ukraine has /might/ be provided by NATO " weapons of mass destruction".

 

That's a great 21st century excuse for an illegal invasion. 

 

 

in putin's view: yes.

The russian point is that they feel threatened by all the Nato forces located in Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Romania....

That's exactly the reason to call for security guarantees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Putin knows his economic cost for invading Ukraine is massive. If he's willing to accept that then his end game isn't Ukraine. It's Ukraine + Belarus + Lithuania + (maybe Latvia + Estonia) + probably Moldova as well.

 

If you're going to get grounded forever for stealing a cookie you might as well steal all the cookies.

Hey nuckin_futz, really like this cookie analogy to explain what might happen going forward. Guess you like cookies a lot ::D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

in putin's view: yes.

The russian point is that they feel threatened by all the Nato forces located in Latvia, Estonia, Poland, Romania....

That's exactly the reason to call for security guarantees.

He certainly has more of a case than the US had. 

 

I don't know why the US won't state that Ukraine will never join NATO. 

They have more than enough long range ballistic missiles and other military forces to keep Russia in check.

 

History illustrates what the United States reaction was when the Russians wanted to place medium and intermediate range nukes in Cuba, well within striking distance of them. 

We nearly had WW3.

 

This forum would probably not exist as well as most of its members if the Russians/ Khrushchev had not backed down and withdrawn the missiles.

 

But hey who remembers the lessons of history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...