The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

For a monster that professes love of cookies, Cookie Monster sure does a crappy job of actually eating them - like almost all the cookie fragments end up on the ground!  :lol:

(the rest are probably stuck to his fur!)

In his defence, he has no fingers or teeth.

• Cheers 1

The world seems to be going downhill, at an ever increasing rate:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/bulgarian-mep-gives-nazi-salute-in-european-parliament/ar-AATXnIy?ocid=msedgntp

"A Bulgarian nationalist MEP gave a Nazi salute in the chamber of the European Parliament in Strasbourg on Wednesday, sparking outrage after he spoke during a debate on the rule of law in Poland and Hungary.

Going up the steps that lead to the exit of the hemicycle, Angel Dzhambazki of the eurosceptic ECR group can be seen on a video of the debate turning around and extending his right arm in front of him for a few seconds before leaving.

"We will never allow you to tell us what to say and do. Long live Bulgaria, Hungary, Orban, Fidesz and the Europe of nation states," the representative of the Bulgarian nationalist party VMRO had earlier told the parliament.

He also described on Twitter as an "abomination" a Wednesday decision by the EU's top court -- the European Court of Justice -- to validate a mechanism, contested by Poland and Hungary, allowing the blocking of funds to countries where there are violations of the rule of law.

The vice-president of the European Parliament, Italy's Pina Picierno, who led the debate, said the institution would "check with the cameras what happened in this hemicycle, to see if there was a fascist salute or not".

"We do not in any way allow fascist gestures and symbols. If this has been done, it is extremely serious and sanctions will be taken," she warned.

The French government's secretary of state for European affairs Clement Beaune, who was present as part of his country's EU presidency, called the gesture "scandalous and outrageous" on Twitter.

European Parliament president Roberta Metsola tweeted that "a fascist salute in the European Parliament is unacceptable to me -- always and everywhere".

"It offends me and everyone else in Europe," she added.

"We stand for the opposite. We are the House of democracy. That gesture is from the darkest chapter of our history and must be left there."

• Sad 1

Wow.

Northern BC.

Violent overnight attack at Coastal GasLink site leaves workers shaken, millions in damage

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/coastal-gaslink-site-attacked-overnight-with-millions-in-damage-to-equipment

'...Very early Thursday, just after midnight, Coastal GasLink security called RCMP for help, reporting it was under attack by about 20 people, some wielding machetes and axes.

RCMP Chief Supt. Warren Brown, commander for the north district, called the attack a “calculated and organized violent attack that left its victims shaken and a multi-million dollar path of destruction.”'

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Wow.

Northern BC.

Violent overnight attack at Coastal GasLink site leaves workers shaken, millions in damage

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/coastal-gaslink-site-attacked-overnight-with-millions-in-damage-to-equipment

'...Very early Thursday, just after midnight, Coastal GasLink security called RCMP for help, reporting it was under attack by about 20 people, some wielding machetes and axes.

RCMP Chief Supt. Warren Brown, commander for the north district, called the attack a “calculated and organized violent attack that left its victims shaken and a multi-million dollar path of destruction.”'

"Wow" indeed!

So I'm casually looking through various threads in the Off-Topic Forum and I come across this and I just about fell out of my chair.

This is a huge story and an alarming increase in anti-pipeline protests.

The government already has the Emergency Act being debated.   If passed, wonder if it will also be used here?

The story has so many implications - climate protests,  First Nations, civic disruptions.

Wow.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

"Wow" indeed!

So I'm casually looking through various threads in the Off-Topic Forum and I come across this and I just about fell out of my chair.

This is a huge story and an alarming increase in anti-pipeline protests.

The government already has the Emergency Act being debated.   If passed, wonder if it will also be used here?

The story has so many implications - climate protests,  First Nations, civic disruptions.

Wow.

Totally agree.

I think this will be a big story. It has its own thread now. 

On 2/17/2022 at 3:22 AM, gurn said:

The world seems to be going downhill, at an ever increasing rate:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/bulgarian-mep-gives-nazi-salute-in-european-parliament/ar-AATXnIy?ocid=msedgntp

"A Bulgarian nationalist MEP gave a Nazi salute in the chamber of the European Parliament in Strasbourg on Wednesday, sparking outrage after he spoke during a debate on the rule of law in Poland and Hungary.

Going up the steps that lead to the exit of the hemicycle, Angel Dzhambazki of the eurosceptic ECR group can be seen on a video of the debate turning around and extending his right arm in front of him for a few seconds before leaving.

"We will never allow you to tell us what to say and do. Long live Bulgaria, Hungary, Orban, Fidesz and the Europe of nation states," the representative of the Bulgarian nationalist party VMRO had earlier told the parliament.

He also described on Twitter as an "abomination" a Wednesday decision by the EU's top court -- the European Court of Justice -- to validate a mechanism, contested by Poland and Hungary, allowing the blocking of funds to countries where there are violations of the rule of law.

The vice-president of the European Parliament, Italy's Pina Picierno, who led the debate, said the institution would "check with the cameras what happened in this hemicycle, to see if there was a fascist salute or not".

"We do not in any way allow fascist gestures and symbols. If this has been done, it is extremely serious and sanctions will be taken," she warned.

The French government's secretary of state for European affairs Clement Beaune, who was present as part of his country's EU presidency, called the gesture "scandalous and outrageous" on Twitter.

European Parliament president Roberta Metsola tweeted that "a fascist salute in the European Parliament is unacceptable to me -- always and everywhere".

"It offends me and everyone else in Europe," she added.

"We stand for the opposite. We are the House of democracy. That gesture is from the darkest chapter of our history and must be left there."

This conflict between the european commission and its members Poland and Hungary has been going on for several years. The root  cause for  this conflict lies in circumsizing the justice in Poland. Several judges of the supreme court were axed by the administration. Those spots in the courts were filled by judges having the same mindset as the political leaders of this country. The European commission opened up a formal proceeding against Poland claiming that the system of justice in Poland is not in conformity with european values and standards. This formal proceeding was closed this week and outcome was that the European commission is entitled to withhold substantial amounts of money that would have otherwise paid to Poland. In fact the withholding of money is a massive sanction for not having a system of justice in place which is in conformity with european standards.

to me it's clear when you are a member of the european union than you have to comply with certain standards. In complying to those standards you lose part of your sovereighty.

Even though the behavior of this bulgarian member of the european parliament is completey inacceptable.

• Upvote 1

I find it very interesting that crows can be trained to pick up cigarette butts. I almost fell out of my chair when I first heard about it. In general all the swedish cities are very clean. Now I know how they get this done. ::D

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/01/swedish-crows-pick-up-cigarette-butts-litter

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I find it very interesting that crows can be trained to pick up cigarette butts. I almost fell out of my chair when I first heard about it. In general all the swedish cities are very clean. Now I know how they get this done. ::D

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/01/swedish-crows-pick-up-cigarette-butts-litter

Crows are brilliant.

Recognize faces-even after months of not seeing that face

Can use tools such as

dropping stones into bottles that are partially full of water. This raises the water up in the container, so they can get a drink.

Use a small stick to pull a worm out of a crevice.

I tried to talk the Ferries to using crows to clean our parking lots, but got nowhere.

Cops, kids, shots fired- nobody hurt.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/father-tells-four-year-old-to-shoot-at-officers-after-wrong-order-at-utah-mcdonald-s-police/ar-AAUakhM?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

A man who was upset over a wrong order at a fast food restaurant allegedly told his four-year-old son to shoot at officers as he was taken into custody, according to police in Utah.

The man, who remains unidentified, was at a McDonald’s pick-up window in Midvale, a city in Salt Lake County, on Monday afternoon.

He brandished a gun while asking staff for his order to be corrected.

They told him to park in a designated waiting area so they could bring him the right order. They then called police.

According to Unified Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Melody Cutler, the man did not cooperate. He was pulled from the vehicle, she said .

An officer noticed a gun being pointed out of a rear window and swiped the weapon to the side. The gun went off as the officer realized it was a child and yelled, “Kid!” to alert other officers.

Police said they had heard the man tell the four-year-old to shoot the gun. The child was in the back seat with a three-year-old sibling.

Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera said the incident illustrates “ how out of hand the campaign against police has gotten.”

The children were given to family. The Division of Child and Family Services is investigating.

Specific charges the man is facing were not immediately available.

No one was seriously injured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no sherrif- it does not indicate how out of control "the campaign against police has gotten".

It does indicate a level of stupid so profound, that the person should never be a parent again.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the middle of one of, if not the longest running celebrations, 44 years, of the LGBTI community.

People from all over the world travel to this event in Sydney to rejoice in being who they are 

https://about.abc.net.au/media-room/abc-showcases-the-pride-and-diversity-of-this-years-sydney-gay-and-lesbian-mardi-gras/

My memory is effed up but I was there sometime in the eighties and I went to this event. 

There was still quite a bit of prejudice back then and I remember my friends and I having to persuade some bogans of the error of their ways.

Edited by Ilunga

• 2 weeks later...

Latest installment of the "Florida Man" theme......:picard:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/florida-man-calls-police-to-verify-his-meth-is-authentic-cops-claim/ar-AAV9Hh2?li=AAggNb9

Most drug users tend to keep their dealings under wraps, but one Florida man was arrested after allegedly calling police to check the authenticity of his methamphetamine.

In a Facebook post from the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, authorities claim Spring Hill, Fla., resident Thomas Eugene Colucci dialled 9-1-1 to “test the methamphetamine” he had recently purchased.

Colucci told dispatched officers he purchased the drugs from a male person at a local bar. After using the drug, Colucci believed he had been sold bath salts instead of meth.

The report goes on to state Colucci allegedly told officers as an "experienced drug user" who has used methamphetamine prior, he "knew what it should feel like."

The Florida man even produced two dime bags containing a white crystal-like substance, which he handed over to the deputy, the report claims.

Telling officers that he did not want other drug users to purchase "fake" methamphetamine, Colucci asked to have his drugs tested for authenticity.

Deputies arrested Colucci at the scene.

Officers did eventually test the two baggies surrendered by Colucci, both of which tested positive for methamphetamine.

The Hernando County Sheriff's Office charged Colucci with possession of methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia (two counts) and set his bond to USD$7,000.

In the statement, the Hernando Country Sheriff's Office wrote: "If you, or someone you know, have doubts about the authenticity of any illegal narcotics you have on-hand or have obtained from another person, the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office is pleased to provide this service, FREE of charge."

If you ever wondered how the state of Florida could elect an assclown like Ron DeSantis, this might answer your question....

• Upvote 1

Earlier this week, I read about a tragic car crash that killed nine people, including 6 members of a New Mexico University golf team and their coach....I didn't post about it at the time, because tragic as it was, there was a much larger tragedy going on in Ukraine.....

However, today I find out that the vehicle that caused the crash (a pickup that crossed the center line and hit the van carrying the golf team) was being driven by a 13 year old boy....and it was running on a spare, which apparently blew, causing the truck to veer sharply......

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/13-year-old-was-driving-truck-texas-crash-killed-9-members-new-mexico-rcna20518

A 13-year-old was driving a pickup truck that crashed into a van carrying members of a New Mexico university's golf teams, killing nine people in West Texas on Tuesday night, officials said Thursday.

An early investigation revealed that the truck had a spare wheel in place of its left front tire, according to National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Bruce Landsberg. That spare tire seemed to have failed, causing the truck to swerve in front of the van.

"A 13-year-old child was behind the wheel of the pickup truck," Landsberg said during a Thursday press conference.

The wheel did not appear to be an emergency-use "donut" spare, but was similar to the rest of the tires. The left front tire had a steel rim that remained intact while the three tires were extensively damaged.

The van was carrying members of the University of the Southwest men’s and women’s golf teams, who were traveling for a tournament.

Six of the student athletes were killed in the crash, along with a coach.The 13-year-old pickup truck driver and a passenger, 38-year-old Henrich Siemens, were also killed in the crash.

The department identified the fatally injured coach and team members Wednesday as Tyler James, 26; Mauricio Sanchez, 19; Travis Garcia, 19; Jackson Zinn, 22; Karisa Raines, 21; Laci Stone, 18; and Tiago Sousa, 18.

Dayton Price, 19, and Hayden Underhill, 20, the two other people in the van, were listed in critical condition. Landsberg did not have an update on their condition Thursday.

You have to wonder how an adult can allow a 13 year old to drive at night, with a spare tire at the front......<_<

More in the link.

• Sad 1

Another nutbar attacks a mosque

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/worshippers-at-ontario-mosque-stop-attacker-armed-with-axe-bear-spray/ar-AAVgRwv?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

"

man entered a mosque in Mississauga, Ont., west of Toronto, on Saturday morning and attacked the people gathered for Fajr, dawn prayer, with bear spray, Peel Regional Police say, adding that the man was also "brandishing a hatchet."

Police were called to the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre, near McAdam Road and Matheson Boulevard East, at about 7 a.m.

Peel police say a 24-year-old man has been taken into custody, and investigators are "considering all possible motivations, including hate motivation." Charges have yet to be laid.

Some people suffered "minor injuries" from the bear spray, according to a Peel police news release.

Police say the incident "appears" isolated, but officers will remain in the area for support and community reassurance.

At about 11 a.m., the mosque's imam, Ibrahim Hindy, posted on Twitter about the attack.

The man came in carrying an axe, pepper spray and other "sharp edged weapons," Hindy said.

"Several congregants bravely were able to stop him in his tracks," he said. "Our community will never be broken and we refuse to be intimidated."

'People are obviously quite shaken up'

Nadia Hasan, chief operating officer of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, said about 20 people were in the mosque at the time.

"A number of men who were there for prayer tackled [the armed man] and they apprehended him until the police came," she said.

Hasan said there were remnants of the bear spray in the building, still causing people to cough by Saturday afternoon.

"People are obviously quite shaken up and are recovering," she said.

"But I think for the most part, folks are still processing what's happened and are trying to kind of see how they can ensure that their communities remain secure."

%7B© Michael Cole/CBC Nadia Hasan, chief operating officer of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, speaks with reporters outside the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre in Mississauga on Saturday morning.

Hasan said the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre remained open on Saturday and police would be there for the "next little while" to ensure that other prayer times could go ahead safely.

She said the mosque was looking into offering grief counselling and other mental health supports to help those who were affected and heal from what happened, while police continue their investigation.

"They don't know what motivated this person to do what he did, but they obviously have a lot of questions about, you know, why did this happen, why this happened to them, why this community in particular?" Hasan said.

The imam said the centre would provide further comment when more information is available about the attack. He urged Peel police "to continue to investigate all angles."

Hasan echoed Hindy's call, telling CBC News, "We are waiting to hear more about the motivation."

Premier Doug Ford said on Twitter that there is no place in Ontario for "such evil and hateful acts."

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to contact investigators.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Another nutbar attacks a mosque

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/worshippers-at-ontario-mosque-stop-attacker-armed-with-axe-bear-spray/ar-AAVgRwv?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

"

man entered a mosque in Mississauga, Ont., west of Toronto, on Saturday morning and attacked the people gathered for Fajr, dawn prayer, with bear spray, Peel Regional Police say, adding that the man was also "brandishing a hatchet."

Police were called to the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre, near McAdam Road and Matheson Boulevard East, at about 7 a.m.

Peel police say a 24-year-old man has been taken into custody, and investigators are "considering all possible motivations, including hate motivation." Charges have yet to be laid.

Some people suffered "minor injuries" from the bear spray, according to a Peel police news release.

Police say the incident "appears" isolated, but officers will remain in the area for support and community reassurance.

At about 11 a.m., the mosque's imam, Ibrahim Hindy, posted on Twitter about the attack.

The man came in carrying an axe, pepper spray and other "sharp edged weapons," Hindy said.

"Several congregants bravely were able to stop him in his tracks," he said. "Our community will never be broken and we refuse to be intimidated."

'People are obviously quite shaken up'

Nadia Hasan, chief operating officer of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, said about 20 people were in the mosque at the time.

"A number of men who were there for prayer tackled [the armed man] and they apprehended him until the police came," she said.

Hasan said there were remnants of the bear spray in the building, still causing people to cough by Saturday afternoon.

"People are obviously quite shaken up and are recovering," she said.

"But I think for the most part, folks are still processing what's happened and are trying to kind of see how they can ensure that their communities remain secure."

%7B© Michael Cole/CBC Nadia Hasan, chief operating officer of the National Council of Canadian Muslims, speaks with reporters outside the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre in Mississauga on Saturday morning.

Hasan said the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre remained open on Saturday and police would be there for the "next little while" to ensure that other prayer times could go ahead safely.

She said the mosque was looking into offering grief counselling and other mental health supports to help those who were affected and heal from what happened, while police continue their investigation.

"They don't know what motivated this person to do what he did, but they obviously have a lot of questions about, you know, why did this happen, why this happened to them, why this community in particular?" Hasan said.

The imam said the centre would provide further comment when more information is available about the attack. He urged Peel police "to continue to investigate all angles."

Hasan echoed Hindy's call, telling CBC News, "We are waiting to hear more about the motivation."

Premier Doug Ford said on Twitter that there is no place in Ontario for "such evil and hateful acts."

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to contact investigators.

Gotta say this shocks me a bit.

If it was America I wouldn't be surprised at all, however Canada ?

I know no society is perfect, however as I have stated before, yours is one of the more enlightened on this planet