Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread


RUPERTKBD

Recommended Posts

Russian hackers targeting critical infrastructure in Canada, agency says

https://globalnews.ca/news/8525914/russia-ukraine-sanctions-warning-canada/

 

Canada’s electronic spy service warned Thursday that Russian-based hackers are targeting critical infrastructure, while Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Moscow would face severe sanctions if it makes further moves against Ukraine.

70c8fc80

The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security, a branch of the Communications Security Establishment, said it was “aware of foreign cyber threat activities, including by Russian-backed actors, to target Canadian critical infrastructure network operators, their operational and information technology.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

If Russians do invade Ukraine, they will be in Kiev in matter of days.

West or NATO is not going to stop it or intervene, especially Canada with its tiny army.

The only thing that might happen is delivery of Javelins and Stingers to help Ukrainians out.

This all misinformation… 

 

They only want the Russian speaking Eastern half of Ukraine like Donbas and Donetsk..

 

They would never be able to reach Kiev. 
 

I personally support the right of Russia to take those regions as they are ethically Russian speaking and in a overwhelming majority of joining Russia. 
 

They have already declared independence from Ukraine and wish to cede with Russia. 

 

Edited by drummer4now
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had a problem with people smugglers for decades. 

I could tell lots of horror stories and a couple of positive stories- Mujed- al Muderis for example, I have his biography, it is an inspirational story. 

 

This story however is not.

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-21/four-dead-one-arrested-for-human-smuglging-us-canada-border/100773514

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, drummer4now said:

This all misinformation… 

 

They only want the Russian speaking Eastern half of Ukraine like Donbas and Donetsk..

 

They would never be able to reach Kiev. 
 

I personally support the right of Russia to take those regions as they are ethically Russian speaking and in a overwhelming majority of joining Russia. 
 

They have already declared independence from Ukraine and wish to cede with Russia. 

 

Russia has no right to invade a sovereign nation, bypass the democratic process and claim what it wants, whether they’re ethnically Russian or not. That’s a horrendous take.

 

And staged referendums are not the same as a genuine desire for independence. It’s far more complicated than that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Russia has no right to invade a sovereign nation, bypass the democratic process and claim what it wants, whether they’re ethnically Russian or not. That’s a horrendous take.

 

And staged referendums are not the same as a genuine desire for independence. It’s far more complicated than that.

Through out human history: laws & etc tends to become irrelevant during times of war and it would be interesting, to see how this whole thing, will play out - in cyberspace.  We are in the information age, and it would not be surprising - if it has already started in that realm.   

 

Lots of context, are missing from us that are far from the conflict zone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I post this for two reasons. 

One, to point out that I think Kennedy Stewart is a terrible Mayor, his disregard for the growing problem of violence in the city is awful. 

Two, as a martial artist I love seeing techniques applied well. I've seen this story a few times and nobody mentions the nice calf kick the girl in the video throws when trying to help her boyfriend vs a disturbed man that just had been trying to steal a baby! look for the kick in the vid. 

New charged approved against man who allegedly grabbed baby stroller

 

 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/new-charged-approved-against-man-who-allegedly-grabbed-baby-stroller-1.5748927

 

 

Vancouver has a severe mental health and addiction problem on the streets. Mixed with low income and gang activity the results are an unsafe city that is only getting worse. I ran a liquor store in the DTES for years. I have seen a lot of sad things. These people need help, not enough is being done for our fellow humans that are in tough spots. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I post this for two reasons. 

One, to point out that I think Kennedy Stewart is a terrible Mayor, his disregard for the growing problem of violence in the city is awful. 

Two, as a martial artist I love seeing techniques applied well. I've seen this story a few times and nobody mentions the nice calf kick the girl in the video throws when trying to help her boyfriend vs a disturbed man that just had been trying to steal a baby! look for the kick in the vid. 

New charged approved against man who allegedly grabbed baby stroller

 

 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/new-charged-approved-against-man-who-allegedly-grabbed-baby-stroller-1.5748927

 

 

Vancouver has a severe mental health and addiction problem on the streets. Mixed with low income and gang activity the results are an unsafe city that is only getting worse. I ran a liquor store in the DTES for years. I have seen a lot of sad things. These people need help, not enough is being done for our fellow humans that are in tough spots. 

Spot on!

 

Couldn’t agree more. When I heard that interview Stewart had on CKNW the other day about how he feels safe walking in Vancouver, this guy is just so out of touch. October 21st people get there and vote these pet project councillors and useless Mayor out! 
 

 

While trying to fix the DTES is no easy task, by not acknowledging we have a problem is not going to make things better before they get worse. My gf lives by Burrard and Davie and the last year and a bit, it’s been unsettling with the amount of clashes with these desperate people and the provoking interactions I’ve seen walking around downtown. I made the mistake of having eye contact with someone not too long ago and the guy screamed at me that I suck, I was wearing my Canuck hat and we were near the bottom of the standings at the time so he wasn’t wrong. But our fearless leader thinks our city is A-OK

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Russia has no right to invade a sovereign nation, bypass the democratic process and claim what it wants, whether they’re ethnically Russian or not. That’s a horrendous take.

 

And staged referendums are not the same as a genuine desire for independence. It’s far more complicated than that.

Yes but these people are ethically Russian and have already declared independence from Ukraine. The whole region is called “New Russia.”

 

They have no connection to Ukraine other than residing in a former Ukrainian territory. 
 

I believe if the will of the people exists they should cede and join Russia..

Edited by drummer4now
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Spot on!

 

Couldn’t agree more. When I heard that interview Stewart had on CKNW the other day about how he feels safe walking in Vancouver, this guy is just so out of touch. October 21st people get there and vote these pet project councillors and useless Mayor out! 
 

 

While trying to fix the DTES is no easy task, by not acknowledging we have a problem is not going to make things better before they get worse. My gf lives by Burrard and Davie and the last year and a bit, it’s been unsettling with the amount of clashes with these desperate people and the provoking interactions I’ve seen walking around downtown. I made the mistake of having eye contact with someone not too long ago and the guy screamed at me that I suck, I was wearing my Canuck hat and we were near the bottom of the standings at the time so he wasn’t wrong. But our fearless leader thinks our city is A-OK

I lived in London Place for 20 years, know that corner well. 

I bet your girl is well aware of the lovely Murray Hotel, the place is a haven for lowlifes. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I lived in London Place for 20 years, know that corner well. 

I bet your girl is well aware of the lovely Murray Hotel, the place is a haven for lowlifes. 

Yup she does and the F!$@ guy is a celebrity (behind celebrities) almost every night with his banter into the moonlight and alleys of the west end. Just a part of life in the downtown core. Strolls down sunset beach are great in the summer though. Gotta take the good with the bad. Find those silver linings. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Russian hackers targeting critical infrastructure in Canada, agency says

https://globalnews.ca/news/8525914/russia-ukraine-sanctions-warning-canada/

 

Canada’s electronic spy service warned Thursday that Russian-based hackers are targeting critical infrastructure, while Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly said Moscow would face severe sanctions if it makes further moves against Ukraine.

70c8fc80

The Canadian Centre for Cyber Security, a branch of the Communications Security Establishment, said it was “aware of foreign cyber threat activities, including by Russian-backed actors, to target Canadian critical infrastructure network operators, their operational and information technology.”

"severe sanctions"

 

God our government is weak. Having a drama teacher in charge was a baaaddd idea. Too bad our political system is so screwed up that 30% of the people that actually decide to vote can choose the prime minister.

 

usa is just as bad if not worse.

 

Oh well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Canuck Luck said:

"severe sanctions"

 

God our government is weak. Having a drama teacher in charge was a baaaddd idea. Too bad our political system is so screwed up that 30% of the people that actually decide to vote can choose the prime minister.

 

usa is just as bad if not worse.

 

Oh well...

If we had PR, JT wouldn't have won this last time.

If the states had it, we wouldn't have had to endure Trump. 

 

I voted for JT in his first run. He legalised weed. That's what I wanted. But he let me down on the other promise of election reform.

 

Part of your problem is his competition. They are weak AF . That's why he is on his 3rd kick at the can. 

 

Anyway, the reason i posted that article... F' Russia and their hackers. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

"severe sanctions"

 

God our government is weak. Having a drama teacher in charge was a baaaddd idea. Too bad our political system is so screwed up that 30% of the people that actually decide to vote can choose the prime minister.

 

usa is just as bad if not worse.

 

Oh well...

Just curious: What would you suggest we do? Send troops to the Ukraine? Bomb Moscow?

 

Pretty easy to be an armchair critic, so lets hear your plan....

 

BTW: Trudeau was a substitute teacher at first, which means he taught whatever was needed. After that he taught Math and French at West Point Grey Academy. If you're going to be a critic, you should at least know WTF you're talking about....

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, drummer4now said:

This all misinformation… 

 

They only want the Russian speaking Eastern half of Ukraine like Donbas and Donetsk..

 

They would never be able to reach Kiev. 
 

I personally support the right of Russia to take those regions as they are ethically Russian speaking and in a overwhelming majority of joining Russia. 
 

They have already declared independence from Ukraine and wish to cede with Russia. 

 

Those two regions are de facto Russian, war with Ukraine would involve the entire country, not just those two regions.

Why not?

This whole changing of the borders would open up Pandora’s box across the globe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Those two regions are de facto Russian, war with Ukraine would involve the entire country, not just those two regions.

Why not?

This whole changing of the borders would open up Pandora’s box across the globe.

I know you are a history buff like myself, found this last year when researching changing borders within Europe.

Takes a bit of time to watch the video but well worth it. 

Note how the Romans were almost unstoppable until they faced us Picts 

 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/2400-years-of-european-history/

 

Certainly not advocating Russian interventionism in the Ukraine however that state as an entity has only existed since the break up of the Soviet Bloc. 

 

What I do know is that " agreements" made by third parties, ie: the Sykes - Picot agreement set borders that do not take into account actual tribal and ethnic configurations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Canuck Luck said:

Haha rupert the whiner.  turdeau your "saviour" is a racist and you support him.  I find that very offensive. Your posts are offensive.

You keep being you, champ.

 

The rest of us won't have to put up with your tripe for much longer....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You keep being you, champ.

 

The rest of us won't have to put up with your tripe for much longer....

Big time respect for your ability to stay calm and polite. 

 

Used to have to eat real tripe when I was a kid 

 

Uuuughh

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, King Heffy said:

So what I gather from his drivel is that if Canada hadn't elected Trudeau, we'd be in a position to stop Russia using military force?

Or something....

 

Personally, I think it's just a weak excuse for a juvenile anti-Trudeau rant....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...