The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

30 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Because Will Smith would not be slapping a female comedian because men don't hit women. But Chris Rock is NOT a woman...and that is who is the subject of being slapped onstage at the Oscars over an unacceptable comment he made about someone's wife

We are NEVER going to agree on this. Are you the kind of man who would stand by and let your wife be made the butt of a joke and insulted on a stage where it's being broadcast to millions of viewers??? And let's have your wife and/or SO come here and read your answer.

I might take him aside afterward and say something to the effect of "Hey, that joke crossed the line and my wife is pretty upset. Maybe you should apologize."

If the answer was a big FU, then it would be time to take care of business. Not without warning and not in front of millions of TV viewers....

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

To say I'm stunned by some of the responses from male registrants here is an understatement.... like holy $&!#.... so because someone is in the public eye they are fair game to be made fun of for a medical condition???? Who ARE you people? I find myself incredibly disappointed by some of the things I've seen in this thread written by people I've long held respect for.

I'm out.

for me, its about people that monetize their private lives like she does, it naturally opens up a person to attention and those folks are used to attention both good and bad. Was it in bad taste, sure. Was violence acceptable as a response, no. At least thats how I see it. 

For someone that makes money off talking about her private life, where's the line? I don't know. 

3 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

To say I'm stunned by some of the responses from male registrants here is an understatement.... like holy $&!#.... so because someone is in the public eye they are fair game to be made fun of for a medical condition???? Who ARE you people? I find myself incredibly disappointed by some of the things I've seen in this thread written by people I've long held respect for.

I'm out.

I downloaded a game for my son on our tablet on Saturday. 

This add appeared, it was cartoonish.

It depicted a big busted, big hipped woman getting spanked while bending over a fence.

It shocked me that game like that existed and was shown on a kids game.

I hid the tablet with my hand and told Lachie that it wasn't suitable for him to see, he stated that it was demeaning to women.

My heart was bursting with pride.

I knew then the lessons I  have been  teaching him all his life, are shaping him into what I believe to be a good person.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I downloaded a game for my son on our tablet on Saturday. 

This add appeared, it was cartoonish.

It depicted a big busted, big hipped woman getting spanked while bending over a fence.

It shocked me that game like that existed and was shown on a kids game.

I hid the tablet with my hand and told Lachie that it wasn't suitable for him to see, he stated that it was demeaning to women.

My heart was bursting with pride.

I knew then the lessons I  have been  teaching him all his life, are shaping him into what I believe to be a good person.

He has a GREAT role model, D!!

(I can't believe he's already old enough for games on a tablet...wasn't he just born? :lol:)

• Huggy Bear 1

19 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

It's ridiculous.

If it was a female comedian and Will did that. People would want him in jail. 

And that is where the idea 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' by some should be re-thought.

The stupid 'prize' should have been Will Smith getting an assault charge for his stupid criminal 'game'. He's lucky.

Jorge Masvidal is in a world of trouble for punching an actual top-tier fighter in a restaurant because charges have been laid.

Covington is a POS. Had it coming. Dude is boring as it gets. 

19 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I'm out.

I adhere to the rule of comedy that everything is fair game or nothing is. Doesn't mean there aren't consequences. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Covington is a POS. Had it coming. Dude is boring as it gets. 

The only thing worse than his fighting style is his persona.

I referenced him to point out that even if someone tells you to leave your home town and if they meet in the street they will slam you on your head so bad that you will never be the same. ...AND that person is a top fighter on the planet....if you punch them, and they press charges, you can face serious punishment. Hope Mas gets the mutual combatants plea.

My wife read last night that Chris Rock didn't even know Jada had alopecia. I know I didn't, barely had heard her name before. 

So, now it was maybe just a joke about hair...

It's possible...I wonder if Chris thought of her hair in reference to his Doc he made. It's great, called 'Good Hair' . I saw it years ago. It talks about hair culture and black women. I wouldn't be surprised if he was hoping Jada was rocking that look for pure style... He might have loved that if it was the case, again if anyone sees the doc you would know what I mean. 

Edit:

Also, I agree with this opinion piece. 

What Will Smith did isn't what women want

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/opinions/will-smith-jada-pinkett-smith-chris-rock-thomas/index.html

Edited by bishopshodan

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My wife read last night that Chris Rock didn't even know Jada had alopecia. I know I didn't, barely had heard her name before. 

It's possible...I wonder if Chris thought of her hair in reference to his Doc he made. It's great, called 'Good Hair' . I saw it years ago. It talks about hair culture and black women. I wouldn't be surprised if he was hoping Jada was rocking that look for pure style... He might have loved that if it was the case, again if anyone sees the doc you would know what I mean. 

Edit:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/opinions/will-smith-jada-pinkett-smith-chris-rock-thomas/index.html

Seems like there's quite a divide on this issue....

So far I've seen Tiffany Haddish and Marcus Stroman come out in support of Smith, while Jeff Ross and Jim Carrey defended Rock....seems like everyone has an opinion....

One thing for sure is that it's overshadowed the event itself by a lot. I know that CODA won best picture and Smith got best actor, (and got a standing ovation as well) but I can't tell you a single other award winner.

That should tell you something....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Seems like there's quite a divide on this issue....

So far I've seen Tiffany Haddish and Marcus Stroman come out in support of Smith, while Jeff Ross and Jim Carrey defended Rock....seems like everyone has an opinion....

One thing for sure is that it's overshadowed the event itself by a lot. I know that CODA won best picture and Smith got best actor, (and got a standing ovation as well) but I can't tell you a single other award winner.

That should tell you something....

Totally.

I have already stated that a bad joke doesn't deserve a physical attack. 

But the extra twist that Chris may not have known about the medical condition and the fact that he has specifically made a documentary about the nature of hair in the female black community should show where his heart is. He made the doc after his daughter had questions about her natural hair ( if i recall correctly) He had the same questions. Really recommend it.

Maybe my life competing in fighting sports or the 15 years working in the night clubs has exposed me to assaults and violence more than some.

I bet I have seen more knocked out people than 99% of this board. 

Some stories are awful. 

Just one, regarding just a slap...A young man was challenging a bouncer from the other side of the velvet rope one night. Doorman lost his cool, slap. Young buck fell backwards and hit his head on the sidewalk....brain damage.

Ok one more, just to even up the sexes....girl fight in front of the club I managed. One girl being held, one girl lying on the ground from the initial fight. Poor doorman, the girl he was holding wriggled free and booted the downed girl...in the temple....she died right there.

I have too many of these stories. 

I'm 5'11. 200lbs cut with a resting heart rate of avg 58bpms. I hit the gym 6 days a week. I'm a blackbelt. 

I was asked what kind of man I was yesterday. I asked my wife. She's seen me in too many situations in the past. She said last night that if  i had budged from my seat like Will Smith she would have been pissed. She's the real deal. I love that woman. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Totally.

I have already stated that a bad joke doesn't deserve a physical attack. 

But the extra twist that Chris may not have known about the medical condition and the fact that he has specifically made a documentary about the nature of hair in the female black community should show where his heart is. He made the doc after his daughter had questions about her natural hair ( if i recall correctly) He had the same questions. Really recommend it.

Maybe my life competing in fighting sports or the 15 years working in the night clubs has exposed me to assaults and violence more than some.

I bet I have seen more knocked out people than 99% of this board. 

Some stories are awful. 

Just one, regarding just a slap...A young man was challenging a bouncer from the other side of the velvet rope one night. Doorman lost his cool, slap. Young buck fell backwards and hit his head on the sidewalk....brain damage.

Ok one more, just to even up the sexes....girl fight in front of the club I managed. One girl being held, one girl lying on the ground from the initial fight. Poor doorman, the girl he was holding wriggled free and booted the downed girl...in the temple....she died right there.

I have too many of these stories. 

I'm 5'11. 200lbs cut with a resting heart rate of avg 58bpms. I hit the gym 6 days a week. I'm a blackbelt. 

I was asked what kind of man I was yesterday. I asked my wife. She's seen me in too many situations in the past. She said last night that if  i had bunged from my seat like Will Smith she would have been pissed. She's the real deal. I love that woman. 

its good you bring up examples of how quickly violent acts can turn bad. Thats the real risk of the woke washing going on right now with people wanting Smith to be correct, he wasn't, it was stupid and dangerous. Its not OK because he was supposedly defending his wife, I'm not sure thats what was really going on there either. I think it had way more to do with Smiths own ego.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Edit:

Yeah the fact people just assume Chris knows about Jada's alopecia is pretty disturbing. 

Kinda feel like people expect everyone to know everything that was ever posted about someone on Instagram or tiktok without thinking many are not even registered on those platforms let along follow every celebrity out there even if they are celebrities themselves.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yeah the fact people just assume Chris knows about Jada's alopecia is pretty disturbing. 

Kinda feel like people expect everyone to know everything that was ever posted about someone on Instagram or tiktok without thinking many are not even registered on those platforms let along follow every celebrity out there even if they are celebrities themselves.

What kind of bugs me is that I'd be willing to bet the mortgage that if Smith had approached Rock in private explained the situation and asked for an apology, it would have happened.

Maybe the joke was in poor taste, but I think Chris Rock showed a lot of restraint, first by passing it off as no big deal and then by declining to press charges....

It must have been kind of awkward to be in the crowd that night as well....

When Smith came up to accept his best actor Oscar and then people start standing......I would have been pretty conflicted. You don't want to look like a jerk, being the only person still sitting, but I don't think for a second that a standing ovation was warranted at that point....

• Upvote 1

Good news for couples dealing with infertility....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/sperm-in-a-lab-canadian-scientists-successfully-3d-print-male-reproductive-cells/ar-AAVO4eI?li=AAggXBV

Inside a lab at the University of British Columbia, the printers aren't for paper. Instead, they are being used in hopes of producing something unexpected — sperm.
"We wanted to really replicate what we see in the natural human body," Dr. Ryan Flannigan, a UBC urology assistant professor told Global News.

In a pair of world-firsts, the team of researchers, led by Flannigan, used a 3D printer to create viable testicular cells and identified early signs of sperm-producing capabilities.

In Canada, about one in six couples experience infertility. Thirty per cent of the time, the inability to conceive is related to the male partner and in some cases, it's not treatable.

The most severe form of male infertility is called non-obstructive azoospermia or NOA.

"It is a production problem in the testicle, where there is no sperm that is coming out into the ejaculate," explained Dr. Jesse Ory, assistant professor of urology at Dalhousie University. "Men often won't know because the volume in their ejaculate is often normal. But when you do a semen test, you don't see any sperm in the ejaculate fluid."

I have to admit that when I first say the headline, "Sperm in a lab? Canadian scientists successfully 3D print male reproductive cells", my first thought was that men will try and get out of any job....

More in the link

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1