The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

I didn't know this was a thing.

Seems very discriminating. Just ask what kind of sex you have if it's a concern....it's not just a man with man scenario.

It's called sex, and many straight folk indulge in exactly what they were banning. I know that the gay community has higher risk of HIV but there is no need to stigmatise. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/health-canada-blood-ban-1.6434078

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't know this was a thing.

Seems very discriminating. Just ask what kind of sex you have if it's a concern....it's not just a man with man scenario.

It's called sex, and many straight folk indulge in exactly what they were banning. I know that the gay community has higher risk of HIV but there is no need to stigmatise. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/health-canada-blood-ban-1.6434078

Why is it a problem to ask questions that could lead to blood being infected and infecting others?  If people don’t like the questions they can just leave.  No one is forcing them to donate.

No problem with these questions.  Don’t like ‘em; don’t donate.  Simple.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why is it a problem to ask questions that could lead to blood being infected and infecting others?  If people don’t like the questions they can just leave.  No one is forcing them to donate.

No problem with these questions.  Don’t like ‘em; don’t donate.  Simple.  

Exactly.

Don't discriminate the life style, just ask the donor if they participate in this type of sex. Straight, gay or whatever...if the activity is a big concern. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Exactly.

Don't discriminate the life style, just ask the donor if they participate in this type of sex. Straight, gay or whatever...if the activity is a big concern. 

Even so don’t we screen donated blood for bugs?  So why ask any question?  

I don’t mind the asking, but if we are testing the blood what’s the point of the questions?  

On 4/26/2022 at 12:56 AM, gurn said:

I've read their "bible"

They have the best, imo , Golden Rule

"Do unto others as they do unto you"

All we can truly take to the to the grave with us is being true to ourselves.

In my case that is do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I teach my son many things however I tell him if he only learns one thing from me it is this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Even so don’t we screen donated blood for bugs?  So why ask any question?  

I don’t mind the asking, but if we are testing the blood what’s the point of the questions?  

They are asked to reduce amount of testing so the system don't get backed up. 

If there is an increased chance of the blood having issues, it is probably best not to waste the lab's time conducting tests that would other wise be used with blood that have less risk. 

Pretty much resource management 101.

@Boudrias 

I also agree that nations outside of Europe should not have got dragged into WW1. 

For centuries Europeans have been killing each other senselessly for the same pieces of territory. 

It was as the Allied generals described a war of attrition, the allied generals were willing to sacrifice millions of young men for a few miles of ground.

It is true that after WW1 the European powers were weakened however the US never became a global superpower until they profited from both sides of the conflict in WW2.

WW2 was different. 

We are talking about the greatest evil this world has ever seen. 

The US " charged" for their help in fighting the greatest evil this world has ever seen and they made money from the Nazi's who perpetrated that evil.

I have provided evidence of this which you seem to have ignored. 

Oh and by the way my father lived through the depression in England, his parents were dead and he and his sister  lived on a few spuds a day for weeks on end. 

So I have heard from from a first hand source how hard it was for some people back then. 

Not exactly a 'world event' but posting because Joan is a bad ass while Ted is a dumb ass.

Joan Jett Drops a Cherry Bomb of Truth Over Ted Nugent Best Guitarist Diss: ‘He Has to Live With Being Ted Nugent’

Consider the source. That was Joan Jett‘s pointed retort in a new interview in which she was asked to respond to right wing rock ranter Ted Nugent‘s unsolicited shot at her in January, when he claimed she didn’t belong on a list of the best rock guitarists.

“You have to have s–t for brains and you have to be a soulless, soulless prick to [include] Joan Jett,” Nugent said in a video he posted in December in which he belatedly reacted to a list originally published by Rolling Stone‘s David Fricke in Dec. 2010. Nugent was not included on Fricke’s list, while Jett came in at No. 87. He doubled-down on his misogyny at the time with an added dose of homophobia. “[I] love Joan. Some of my greatest memories include lesbians. I love the lesbians; it’s a cocktail of wonderment,” he said.

Nugent then topped his hateful rant off with some racism and transphobia. “By the way, if Grandmaster Flash is in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and Joan Jett is on the list of top 100 guitar players, then I’m Caitlyn Jenner’s boy toy,” he said.

In an interview with the NME about her new first-ever acoustic album, Changeup, Jett shrugged off Nugent’s potshot, dryly noting “Neither should he… Is that his implication? That he should be on the list instead of me? Well, that’s just typical – it’s what I’ve dealt with my whole life, being written off. Ted Nugent has to live with being Ted Nugent. He has to be in that body, so that’s punishment enough.”

Jett, who has never been one to pull punches, then dug up the infamous story about Nugent allegedly dodging the Vietnam War draft by loading up on junk food so he would have a load in his pants in an attempt to fail the physical.

“He’s not a tough guy. He plays tough guy, but this is the guy who s–t his pants – literally – so he didn’t have to go in the Army,” Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Jett said of the infamous story Nugent told High Times magazine in 1977 about his attempt to get a “4-F” designation” to avoid serving his country; Nugent denied the story in a 2018 interview with Spotify’s Joe Rogan, in which he claimed he made the whole story up to mess with the magazine. The myth-debunking site Snopes dug around and reportedly found out that Ted was, indeed given an “unfit for service”4-F designation for unspecified reasons after obtaining two student deferments.

“So this is the tough guy who’s running around America, stirring things up against each other,” Jett added about Nugent.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not exactly a 'world event' but posting because Joan is a bad ass while Ted is a dumb ass.

Joan Jett Drops a Cherry Bomb of Truth Over Ted Nugent Best Guitarist Diss: ‘He Has to Live With Being Ted Nugent’

Consider the source. That was Joan Jett‘s pointed retort in a new interview in which she was asked to respond to right wing rock ranter Ted Nugent‘s unsolicited shot at her in January, when he claimed she didn’t belong on a list of the best rock guitarists.

“You have to have s–t for brains and you have to be a soulless, soulless prick to [include] Joan Jett,” Nugent said in a video he posted in December in which he belatedly reacted to a list originally published by Rolling Stone‘s David Fricke in Dec. 2010. Nugent was not included on Fricke’s list, while Jett came in at No. 87. He doubled-down on his misogyny at the time with an added dose of homophobia. “[I] love Joan. Some of my greatest memories include lesbians. I love the lesbians; it’s a cocktail of wonderment,” he said.

Nugent then topped his hateful rant off with some racism and transphobia. “By the way, if Grandmaster Flash is in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame and Joan Jett is on the list of top 100 guitar players, then I’m Caitlyn Jenner’s boy toy,” he said.

In an interview with the NME about her new first-ever acoustic album, Changeup, Jett shrugged off Nugent’s potshot, dryly noting “Neither should he… Is that his implication? That he should be on the list instead of me? Well, that’s just typical – it’s what I’ve dealt with my whole life, being written off. Ted Nugent has to live with being Ted Nugent. He has to be in that body, so that’s punishment enough.”

Jett, who has never been one to pull punches, then dug up the infamous story about Nugent allegedly dodging the Vietnam War draft by loading up on junk food so he would have a load in his pants in an attempt to fail the physical.

“He’s not a tough guy. He plays tough guy, but this is the guy who s–t his pants – literally – so he didn’t have to go in the Army,” Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Jett said of the infamous story Nugent told High Times magazine in 1977 about his attempt to get a “4-F” designation” to avoid serving his country; Nugent denied the story in a 2018 interview with Spotify’s Joe Rogan, in which he claimed he made the whole story up to mess with the magazine. The myth-debunking site Snopes dug around and reportedly found out that Ted was, indeed given an “unfit for service”4-F designation for unspecified reasons after obtaining two student deferments.

“So this is the tough guy who’s running around America, stirring things up against each other,” Jett added about Nugent.

Love it, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Joan Jett neuters the Scatman! Brags about crapping his pants to get out of the draft then lies about it. Tells people about visiting Saddam  Hussein’s master war room, seeing his gold toilet and taking a dump in his bidet, (starting to notice a theme here.) I could have done without hearing about his Caitlyn Jenner’s boy toy fantasy but hey, if he wants to share…

Lesson learned, don’t try and take on someone out of your league Ted.
One of my adolescent music crushes after Suzi Q.

CF726DEC-52ED-4F26-9BA6-5A89063F77B1.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Always liked JJ, but the truth is neither of them belong on any "greatest guitarist" list....

I see these online all the time and they always include absolutely horrible picks. One that I see a lot, actually uses Keith Richards' photo on the title.....:blink:

He isn't even the best guitarist in the Stones, FFS.....

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Always liked JJ, but the truth is neither of them belong on any "greatest guitarist" list....

I see these online all the time and they always include absolutely horrible picks. One that I see a lot, actually uses Keith Richards' photo on the title.....:blink:

Kinda like hearing Tommy Lee is one of the best drummers. Which I used to hear as a kid. 

He can groove and has done some fun drumming stunts on tour but I could play his songs when I was 13. 

Now Danny Carey from Tool for example...I'm still trying to figure out where he keeps his third and forth arm.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Kinda like hearing Tommy Lee is one of the best drummers. Which I used to hear as a kid. 

He can groove and has done some fun drumming stunts on tour but I could play his songs when I was 13. 

Now Danny Carey from Tool for example...I'm still trying to figure out where he keeps his third and forth arm.

The thing about those lists is that they're geared toward the casual reader, which is why they feel they have to include "name" musicians, even if they're not exceptional.

Billy Cobham is a good example. Phenomenal drummer, but most people have never heard of him. Same with Alan Holdsworth on guitar. I can pretty much guarantee his isn't on that list that JJ was on, even though Eddie van Halen once said AH could do more with one hand than he could with two....

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You’re right about JJ of course but any chance to stick it to the Stuge has to be enjoyed.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You’re right about JJ of course but any chance to stick it to the Stuge has to be enjoyed.

100%

If you look up an example of fist magnet.... Ted.

I would pay money to fight that guy. Just 5 mins alone.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The thing about those lists is that they're geared toward the casual reader, which is why they feel they have to include "name" musicians, even if they're not exceptional.

Billy Cobham is a good example. Phenomenal drummer, but most people have never heard of him. Same with Alan Holdsworth on guitar. I can pretty much guarantee his isn't on that list that JJ was on, even though Eddie van Halen once said AH could do more with one hand than he could with two....

His list can be found her https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-david-frickes-picks-146383/

It's a pretty bizarre list. Tony Iommi and Randy Rhodes are 86 and 85, JJ is 87. I guess they're just slightly better than JJ. David Gilmour is 82 and Eddie Van Halen is 70. Apparently there's 54 people better than Ritchie Blackmore. Kurt Cobain is 12. Now I really like Cobain but it's for his lyrics. He never was any guitar hero. Keith Richards is 10. I agree with you he's not even the best guitarist in the Stones and he never has been in any incarnation of the Stones. Especially in the Mick Taylor era.

No Alan Holdsworth, Mike Oldfield, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson (my personal fav).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

His list can be found her https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/100-greatest-guitarists-david-frickes-picks-146383/

It's a pretty bizarre list. Tony Iommi and Randy Rhodes are 86 and 85, JJ is 87. I guess they're just slightly better than JJ. David Gilmour is 82 and Eddie Van Halen is 70. Apparently there's 54 people better than Ritchie Blackmore. Kurt Cobain is 12. Now I really like Cobain but it's for his lyrics. He never was any guitar hero. Keith Richards is 10. I agree with you he's not even the best guitarist in the Stones and he never has been in any incarnation of the Stones. Especially in the Mick Taylor era.

No Alan Holdsworth, Mike Oldfield, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson (my personal fav).

I've always said that there is no "greatest" guitar player. (or any other instrument) Just about 100 guys (and girls) who you could make a legitimate case for. Neither Cobain nor Richards are in that conversation.

I like the Eric Johnson call. I myself am partial to Jeff Beck....

I also think there are a few deserving guys who for some reason, never get recognized. Steve Stevens, Brian May, Elliot Easton and Canada's own, Rik Emmett...to name just a few.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, gurn said:

No mention of Jeff Healey or Gary Moore- thus the list is incomplete.

Also missed on Glen Campbell, who did session work on a whole lot of rock tunes.

Didn't see Joe Bonamassa either.....Neal Schon....Lindsay Buckingham....Tony McAlpine....Yngwie....Billy Gibbons....Nile Rodgers....Waddy Wachtel....Liona Boyd...

,,,,and apparently Joni Mitchell is a better guitarist than David Gilmour....:wacko:

• Haha 3