The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Longshot - Ottawa

Now before everyone dons their flame throwers, I realize this is a bit of a long shot as I doubt they'd give up their shiny new toy... but they also REALLY want to get rid of Ryan's contract (and nobody's taking on that for a bag of pucks).

To OTT - Gagner (send a bit of short term cap back and good veteran presence), Goldobin (they get a decent top 6 prospect) and likely a 3rd piece ('B' prospect like Lockwood or a more fringe guy like Boucher/Gaunce/Leipsic  etc).

To VAN - Ryan (perhaps with $1.25m +/- retained) and (the long shot)... Brady Tkachuck.

Again, like I said, likely a long shot with their shiny new toy but it would get most of Ryan's 4 more years $7.25m off their books which should equal a good chunk of value (and likely allow them a better return on a Karlsson trade as well). And they get some (mostly young) forward depth back.

Clears some of our log jam of more middling guys, gives us a veteran guy who could probably play 1/2 decent (if vastly over paid) top 6 wing with some size to help shelter our smaller, skilled kids and a replacement for him likely ready in a year'ish that slides Ryan down. Look to compliance buyout Ryan after the next CBA. Until then, like the guys we just signed, his cap isn't really an issue for us and he replaces Gagner's vet spot.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Jane said:

Ottawa skipped zadina to pick tkachuck. So imagine they wouldn't trade him at all for now. 

Again, I doubt it too...but they're not going to move that contract for free. And I'm not sure what else Id' want from them for taking it on. And maybe they target a Tkachuck 'replacement' via the Karlsson trade. 

This is a very bold suggestion. The question is really "how badly do they want Ryan's contract gone?" I can't see them moving their top prospect to move out Ryan's contract. It's an overpayment and the fanbase would be furious. Draft Brady Tkachuk only to trade him for a 3rd liner, a guy that struggles to consistently stick on our poopy team and another fringe guy like Gaunce or something. I wouldn't do it if I were Ottawa. I am hesitant to do it as a Canuck fan too. Ryan and Eriksson's contract together on one team for 4 years? Yikers.

Just now, coastal.view said:

sure that is like us sending them petterson and loui

for 2 players from then ranked 12 to 18 on their roster

just to lose loui's contract

and you would do that trade i guess ?

We're not trying to dump LE's contract. They are trying to dump Ryan's (worse) contract. Different teams, different players, different contracts, different owners, different pocket$.

And no, it's probably more 'like' us sending them back +/- Dahlen or Gaudette, not Pettersson.

If the EK to DAL rumours are true, they could also target Nichuskin or Robertson as Tkachuck 'replacements' as well.

Honka, Nichushkin, pick etc for EK...

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This is a very bold suggestion. The question is really "how badly do they want Ryan's contract gone?" I can't see them moving their top prospect to move out Ryan's contract. It's an overpayment and the fanbase would be furious. Draft Brady Tkachuk only to trade him for a 3rd liner, a guy that struggles to consistently stick on our poopy team and another fringe guy like Gaunce or something. I wouldn't do it if I were Ottawa. I am hesitant to do it as a Canuck fan too. Ryan and Eriksson's contract together on one team for 4 years? Yikers.

Well there's this in theory to 'replace' Brady:

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If the EK to DAL rumours are true, they could also target Nichuskin or Robertson as Tkachuck 'replacements' as well.

Honka, Nichushkin/Robertson, pick etc for EK...

Is it an 'overpayment' to take on that contract though? I'm not so sure it is.

As for Ryan and Eriksson's contracts, we can afford them and as I mentioned, would probably end up compliance buying out Ryan's in a couple years anyway. Can't see any realistic issue with it.

But yes, 'How badly do they want it gone?' is certainly the question.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, I doubt it too...but they're not going to move that contract for free. And I'm not sure what else Id' want from them for taking it on. And maybe they target a Tkachuck 'replacement' via the Karlsson trade. 

There is no way they give up Tkachuck. You realize that them taking Tkachuck was them potentially giving up the first overall next year and you're thinking they would then trade Tkachuck to get rid of Ryan.. No chance at all.

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're not trying to dump LE's contract. They are trying to dump Ryan's (worse) contract. Different teams, different players, different contracts, different owners, different pocket$.

And no, it's probably more 'like' us sending them back +/- Dahlen or Gaudette, not Pettersson.

Honka, Nichushkin, pick etc for EK...

my point basically was

if you read between the lines a bit

is that the proposal is simply silly

ottawa fans are likely as stoked about brady as we are about quinn

and to do that type of a deal to dump a contract

will cost ownership more in ticket sales long term then the savings form the ryan contract

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You realize that them taking Tkachuck was them potentially giving up the first overall next year and you're thinking they would then trade Tkachuck to get rid of Ryan.. No chance at all.

Tkachuck is most likely not going to be that much of a difference in their standings, this year anyway. Plus with the draft lottery nobody knows who gets the 1st overall.

That said Ottawa is not going to trade him.

Just now, gurn said:

Tkachuck is most likely not going to be that much of a difference in their standings, this year anyway. Plus with the draft lottery nobody knows who gets the 1st overall.

I think the point he is making is they could have given Colorado the 4th overall last year instead of risking Colorado getting 1st overall this year. 

1 minute ago, gurn said:

They knew they had the 4th overall and not the first this year and they still took the pick because they wanted Tkachuck. To say now they would trade him to dump Ryan is nonsense. It would never happen. They gave up a potential first overall pick to take him. They are very high on him.

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

my point basically was

if you read between the lines a bit

is that the proposal is simply silly

ottawa fans are likely as stoked about brady as we are about quinn

and to do that type of a deal to dump a contract

will cost ownership more in ticket sales long term then the savings form the ryan contract

This is Ottawa though :lol:

It's easy to say it's 'silly' without offering alternatives/valuation. What do you suggest the value of taking on Ryan's contract is then? If it's not a likely/potentially, good 2nd line W'er prospect (+ other pieces back)...? 

Again, they REALLY want to get rid of Ryan's contract by most accounts. It's 4 more years at $7.25m. That's not going to be cheap to dump. Feel free to suggest an alternative.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think the point he is making is they could have given Colorado the 4th overall last year instead of risking Colorado getting 1st overall this year. 

Bird in the hand.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is Ottawa though :lol:

It's easy to say it's 'silly' without offering alternatives/valuation. What do you suggest the value of taking on Ryan's contract is then? If it's not a likely/potentially, good 2nd line W'er prospect (+ other pieces back)...? 

Again, they REALLY want to get rid of Ryan's contract by most accounts. It's 4 more years at $7.25m. That's not going to be cheap to dump. Feel free to suggest an alternative.

i would offer them nothing

that contract does not suit the canucks development path

and need to deal with expiring elc players

it is too long

another team needing to reach the floor would be a more likely suitor

the canucks do not need to be in on every potential deal out there

it's ok to just say no

and look at something more suitable to this team

(and aquaman's pocket book)

1 hour ago, Patrick Jane said:

Ottawa skipped zadina to pick tkachuck. So imagine they wouldn't trade him at all for now. 

or they may have picked him for his tradability. The kid comes with more cachet than most players his age. Plus I doubt he really wants to end up there. 

Archived