The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Starting line-up and Waiver Concerns

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

I can't really say this is a team I'm excited to watch.

No, I agree, it could be fairly boring hockey, if Pettersson and/or Hughes doesn't play. Although, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Boeser can do with 82 games.

That's the problem with signing 3 UFAs a year, it seems, it keeps the prospects out of the lineup. The UFAs will play because they are paid NHL salaries.    

they might decide that pettersson, gaudette, juolevi and hughes need a year of learning the nhl game in uttica. 

that will cut a lot of offense from this group, but they have to do what is best for the players during their development.

that would mean. our defense and scoring will be the same as last year.

the only difference will be, that we are harder to play against. 

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

they might decide that pettersson, gaudette, juolevi and hughes need a year of learning the nhl game in uttica. 

that will cut a lot of offense from this group, but they have to do what is best for the players during their development.

that would mean. our defense and scoring will be the same as last year.

the only difference will be, that we are harder to play against. 

I see Gaudette and Dahlen starting in Utica.  Pettersson and Hughes are NHL players.  Juiolevi is a real question mark.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see Gaudette and Dahlen starting in Utica.  Pettersson and Hughes are NHL players.  Juiolevi is a real question mark.  

with pettersson and hughes, it won't be about talent, but about strength to handle the nhl grind. if they feel it is in their best interest to start in uttica, then that won't hurt their development. in a way it would be good for pettersson, dahlin, lind, gadjovich, gaudette, juolevi and hughes, to grow together down there, playing big minutes.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Unless traded, these guys will be in the starting lineup:

F - Baertchi, Horvat, Boeser, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Virtanen, ________

D - Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Gudbranson, Hutton, Del Zotto, Pouliot

G - Markstrom, Nilsson

Maybe Pettersson takes the last F spot? Hopefully they can make room for Quinn and Olli too. 

I feel that Goldobin would be the last forward on your list.

With that said, I fully expect that one, or a few of Gagner, Granlund, Del Zotto will be dealt before camp to make room for Petttersson and Joulevi.

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

with pettersson and hughes, it won't be about talent, but about strength to handle the nhl grind. if they feel it is in their best interest to start in uttica, then that won't hurt their development. in a way it would be good for pettersson, dahlin, lind, gadjovich, gaudette, juolevi and hughes, to grow together down there, playing big minutes.

I agree with all those guys starting in Utica, except for Pettersson and Hughes.  They will get a lot of minutes here, especially Hughes.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Besides, wasn't Corrado the last "notable" player that the Canucks lost to waivers? How's he doing these days? 

He *did* look fairly good (considering he was a rookie) in the few post-season (when the games really count) games he did manage to get in.  Probably a good reason not to get too hyped over prospects (not all will succeed - but it's good we have many so that it shouldn't hurt us if one fails to meet expectations).  Laffs screwed up his (Corrado) development (I think he was basically just a black ace on their roster - you get only so much better watching the game vs actually being in game action).

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now this waiver Business, gives me a little concern, because I "think" Motte, Goldobin, MacEwen, McEneny and Sautner are waiver eligible and could possibly be picked up. Is that a major loose...no, but it does take away from the whole, and in the case of Goldobin, he is a good asset you would not like to see leave for nothing.

VERY few players of any consequence are ever lost to waivers.   Name one key Canuck lost over even the last 10 years to waivers.   Teams are all full themselves in terms of NHL and even AHL contracts and would have to drop a player or more themselves....plus all the CAP implications (why often a player can readily clear waivers and then be traded as in a trade you can take care of CAP issues).   

Further, even if a player is lost on waivers it is not for "nothing" as people keep saying.   Freeing up a contract spot is wroth something.   Sometimes it is worth a lot.  PLUS, showing all those competing for spots that IF you are not a rookie and have been there a while and have not 'emerged', you may simply be waived as the organization is not going to stick with stagnant players.    Creating a competitive culture of excellence includes personnel moves that include saying goodbye on occasion.

Anyway, my main point is the "waiver bogeyman" is often invoked by posters on CDC and I ask, why?   What evidence from the past is there that waivers have impacted this (or any) team in the league?

Goldobin will be the most interesting decision the Canucks will have to make. He’s the one guy that would not make it through waivers unclaimed. Given the right team and line mates I think he could put up a lot of points on this league. I’d rather see him traded for a draft pick than lose him for nothing.

Petterson made the prestigious tsn fantasy top 250. I think he's going to play. Hughes too. I think the likes of Hutton, Goldobin, will be traded. Maybe Gagne too, to allow Gaudette to play. Maybe even Sutter by the time season starts. 

Tanev - Hughes

Gudbranson - Edler

Pouliot- stetcher 

Biega

Every year, people are concerned of losing players to waiver but we never do.   The only exception was Corrado, which wasn't really a loss.

The fact is every team has some Motte, McEneny, McEwen or Sautner in their pipeline and every team will put similar player to waivers.  So, all the stars need to be aligned for one of our players to get claimed on waivers.   If it happens, I highly doubt we give away anything more than a 4th liner or depth defenseman.  We won't lose any Wayne Gretzky's on waiver.

People need to realize that these players need to stay in the NHL if a teams claimed them...if these guys can't make one of the worst line-up in hockey...who is really going to pick them up???

Classic overreaction/overhyped prospects.  Benning won't lose any sleep over this.

22 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Goldobin will be the most interesting decision the Canucks will have to make. He’s the one guy that would not make it through waivers unclaimed. Given the right team and line mates I think he could put up a lot of points on this league. I’d rather see him traded for a draft pick than lose him for nothing.

OK, who is going to claim him and who do they release to make it happen.   Come waivers in October, EVERY team has a Goldobin or two and most teams have CAP issues and certainly all have contract space issues.   Players better than Goldy are waived at the start of each season - rarely do they get picked up.

2 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

I can't really say this is a team I'm excited to watch.

It's not exciting.  

Yet.

Besides having a much better 4th line, this team is actually worse than last year's. If via injury if nothing else, we need to find a way to start injecting the youth into this team.  I think it would do Hughes some good to spend a couple weeks in the AHL until he is called up.  And if his camp looks amazing, I have zero issues with him in Pouliot's spot.

As far as that last forward spot goes, I think it is Pettersson's to lose.  

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OK, who is going to claim him and who do they release to make it happen.   Come waivers in October, EVERY team has a Goldobin or two and most teams have CAP issues and certainly all have contract space issues.   Players better than Goldy are waived at the start of each season - rarely do they get picked up.

I could see any number of skilled teams taking a flyer on Goldobin if he was on waivers. Especially ones who are concerned about their salary cap situation. Goldobin could be a good cost-controlled option. Tampa Bay and Washington are two teams that come to mind that have had past success with skilled Russian players.

46 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

If Goldy can stay in the flow of the game, like he did late in the season, I don't expect him to be on waivers because he'll be in the line-up. 

6 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I could see any number of skilled teams taking a flyer on Goldobin if he was on waivers. Especially ones who are concerned about their salary cap situation. Goldobin could be a good cost-controlled option. Tampa Bay and Washington are two teams that come to mind that have had past success with skilled Russian players.

Who are they going to waive to make it happen?   Perhaps Canucks like that player better.   Point is, I still think it is at best a hypothetical concern.   Name a key Canuck lost to waivers in their entire near 50 year history.   Why on earth would that history change this year?

Archived