The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Veterans Speak Out Against The Militarization Of Sports

Gaudette Celly

22 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Go to a Vancouver Canadians baseball game (and hey, they've actually won their league championship multiple times recently :P).

I used to go to Cs games every year dating back to when they were the AAA team for the As. It's still one of my favourite things to do in the Vancouver area.

18 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I used to go to Cs games every year dating back to when they were the AAA team for the As. It's still one of my favourite things to do in the Vancouver area.

Yeah a shame they (AAA version) moved (and that also won a league championship or two!); but I agree, going to a Canadians game might be "corny" for some - but for me, it makes for a nice change of pace.  A real making you feel old moment, wasn't that long ago that I watched Roger Clemens *son* play a game for the Canadians.  Yes, THAT Roger Clemens.

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I miss Take Me Out to the Ballgame during the 7th inning stretch.

If you haven't seen/heard Ozzy and Sharon doing this at Wrigley, you need to check it out.

You only get one guess as to which of the two do a better job....

6 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ah, thanks -- edited article to add it but I see SID also posted.

Interestingly I was just hearing on the radio late last week out of the Miami Dolphins statement that anthems before games were introduced during WWII to honour those at war.  So indeed -- why is it still being done?  Of course the excuse will be made that "we're still at war!" which opens a REAL can of political worms that I'm not going to get into, and we've all grown up with always having the anthems so it's always been part of the events; indeed I didn't realize that was the reasoning.

All I know is that the CFL is constantly putting military things into their games, including wearing camo (and don't get me started on the cancer 'pinkwashing'!) and the one time I went to a Whitecaps game they had the military come out at half-time and had some big worship event for them as well.  Sporting events have become so big and so money-driven that they're being used to shape culture and public opinion, which means they are no longer merely "escapist entertainment".  Using the money they forcibly extract from our labour to inculcate us with state propaganda is just another reason to not go and support them. 

Okay, doing all I can to NOT get ranting here ;)

I am always supportive of a good rant.

You were able to get one in with no signs of racism, bigotry, or tribalism and that is rare in todays political climate so Kudos to you.

On 23/07/2018 at 2:02 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Meh I like it.  Nothing wrong with showing a bit of patriotism and being proud of the people the protect our freedoms. Its weird that is become taboo to show appreciation for the country to live in. 

This is hilarious. Aren't you supposed to be a fiscal conservative? You're okay with millions of taxpayer money being wasted?  

The problem is that you're delusional enough to think this is patriotism. It isn't patriotism when you have to pay for it through cheap propaganda. 

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

This is hilarious. Aren't you supposed to be a fiscal conservative? You're okay with millions of taxpayer money being wasted?  

The problem is that you're delusional enough to think this is patriotism. It isn't patriotism when you have to pay for it through cheap propaganda. 

What would someone who never leaves his mothers basement know about patriotism? 

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I've been locked in my parents attic for the past decade because I kind of did some "bad things" when I went off my medication but I know about patriotism....

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I started serving for my country when I was 18. What have you done? 

You have 10k posts talking about conservative/libertarian ideas yet you seem to lack any sort of intelligence that would allow you to put these ideals into practice. You're confused and incompetent when it comes to grasping the ideas that you regurgitate seemingly every day. 

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I started serving for my country when I was 18. What have you done? 

By serving you mean being a sponge off society and contributing nothing. 

You have 10k posts talking about conservative/libertarian ideas yet you seem to lack any sort of intelligence that would allow you to put these ideals into practice. You're confused and incompetent when it comes to grasping the ideas that you regurgitate seemingly every day. 

Considering I don’t even have a total of 10k post, only 8600 and the majority of them are hockey related, if any one is lacking intelligence, you presented a great case for yourself. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

By serving you mean being a sponge off society and contributing nothing. 

Considering I don’t even have a total of 10k post, only 8600 and the majority of them are hockey related, if any one is lacking intelligence, you presented a great case for yourself. 

LOL:

image.png.8f22371ebfd9e966fe95639460858a7a.png

I can actually pick apart why what you're saying is wrong. You can't say the same thing about me; all you've got are basement jokes and delusion

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

LOL:

image.png.8f22371ebfd9e966fe95639460858a7a.png

I can actually pick apart why what you're saying is wrong. You can't say the same thing about me; all you've got are basement jokes and delusion

Haha I got more plusses than you. 

I’ve also got no time for children who haven't contributed anything to society, they do nothing but whine and complain.  You couldn’t pick apart anything I say, the fact you think you could is histarical. What is the three things any conservative/libertarian expects from his government?  You haven’t got the slightest clue, which again is why I won’t waste any time on you. I’m not here to hand out free education

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Haha I got more plusses than you. 

I’ve also got no time for children who haven't contributed anything to society, they do nothing but whine and complain.  You couldn’t pick apart anything I say, the fact you think you could is histarical. What is the three things any conservative/libertarian expects from his government?  You haven’t got the slightest clue, which again is why I won’t waste any time on you. I’m not here to hand out free education

I've got a PhD, but thanks. Here are two lessons for you: (1) "hysterical" and (2) thins = plural; therefore "is" should be "are". 

Also, if you say you care about plusses (which I don't), you should care about the fact that you have more because you post more. As a ratio, I look better (but again, I don't care). Its funny that you care though. As a libertarian, you should care more about individuality and not define yourself by how others see you. 

I believe that you should take taxpayers money and spend it on singing an anthem. Why do you believe that we should steal money from people to sing an anthem at a sporting event?

I've got a PhD, but thanks. Here are two lessons for you: (1) "hysterical" and (2) thins = plural; therefore "is" should be "are". 

Haha thanks.

Also, if you say you care about plusses (which I don't), you should care about the fact that you have more because you post more. As a ratio, I look better (but again, I don't care). Its funny that you care though. As a libertarian, you should care more about individuality and not define yourself by how others see you. 

As a capitalist I care more about profit and since posting is free, ratio need not apply. 

I believe that you should take taxpayers money and spend it on singing an anthem.

Ok we’re on the same page then.

Why do you believe that we should steal money from people to sing an anthem at a sporting event?

First of all I’ll ask again. Name the three things I expect from my govt.

• 2 weeks later...

The part I find odd about this is not necessarily the presence of National Defense at (corporate) sporting events, but that if this were simply patriotism, on what grounds would the NFL justify extracting these payments from National Defense - for what is effectively 'advertising' time/space?  

You might think that, were this actually 'partriotism', that the people that serve and protect the country may be welcome guests of the NFL, and the 'people', wouldn't you - not simply a corporate customer to whom you're charging advertising contracts/revenue?

This illusive public/private takes on both sides of the coin.  You pay as a consumer/'fan' to watch the game.  You pay your taxes to support your military.  So you're also paying for the military to pay the NFL for advertising space.  And you pay the NFL as a fan for the access/time you spend watching the advertisments you paid for as a taxpayer.   That appears fairly profitable, unless you're on one of the sides paying for it...

So while the presence of your National Defense at sporting events may appear to inspire and represent 'patriotism', as the National Anthems also imply. the NFL charging the military millions of taxpayer $s for advertising space... that looks like something else. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2018-08-13 at 1:21 AM, oldnews said:

The part I find odd about this is not necessarily the presence of National Defense at (corporate) sporting events, but that if this were simply patriotism, on what grounds would the NFL justify extracting these payments from National Defense - for what is effectively 'advertising' time/space?  

You might think that, were this actually 'partriotism', that the people that serve and protect the country may be welcome guests of the NFL, and the 'people', wouldn't you - not simply a corporate customer to whom you're charging advertising contracts/revenue?

This illusive public/private takes on both sides of the coin.  You pay as a consumer/'fan' to watch the game.  You pay your taxes to support your military.  So you're also paying for the military to pay the NFL for advertising space.  And you pay the NFL as a fan for the access/time you spend watching the advertisments you paid for as a taxpayer.   That appears fairly profitable, unless you're on one of the sides paying for it...

So while the presence of your National Defense at sporting events may appear to inspire and represent 'patriotism', as the National Anthems also imply. the NFL charging the military millions of taxpayer $s for advertising space... that looks like something else. 

I give up trying to figure things out when billionaire owners making bucket loads of money (nothing wrong with that specifically) while getting often corporate welfare in the mostly taxpayer (fully or partially) funded stadiums.  I think I read once the Detroit Lions could play in an empty stadium and still make a profit (tv revenues are THAT high.

Archived