The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

This kid has worked his ass off with a skills coach and is set to work with another high profile skills coach this summer. 

Not trying to be the coach here but I wish Green would staple him to pk the way AV used to do that for Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, And other guys that  great skating skills. AV's philosiphy was learn offense from great defense.  Learn the importance of back-check, closing lanes and gaps, when to strip a puck and giv'er. 

I think once Jake learns that and a bit of time on pp2, he could finally crack 20 goals and as many or more assists.

Ive met Jake a few times last summer around the same time at the same gas station in Abby.  Was easy to talk to and laughed when I said he is lucky for that NHL salary to afford to gas up the RT/8 Grand Cherokee he was driving. 

I think Green has done plenty to turn him into a good defensive player already.  He's really worked hard at it and is a 200 foot player now.  Hopefully he works on his shot a ton this off-season.  He could pot 25 if he was burying the chances he generated with his speed.

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am pumped for Jake this season.  Bought my tickets to watch the preseason game in Kelowna yesterday.

I for one hope they give him a good long shot at LW.  By all accounts that is where he played better in junior.  Coaches should at least try to play to players' strengths.

This is doable if he is given quality playing time with offensive players and not put with Beagle and Schaller.

I think Jake can do it playing at least part of the season with those guys.

Beagle and Schaller, for what it’s worth, both have 10+ goal seasons themselves within the past 2 years.  Beagle has a 30 point season.  It’s not like Gaunce, Chaput or Megna.

Thats also discounting Jake’s ability to drive a line (which I think he has the potential to do) and then earn a promotion.

Not a big fan of this guy. He had so much promise. He has been given lots of opportunities. Don’t see him ending up more than a 3rd or 4th liner. 

I know someone that used to play around him and this guy apparently has a rep of partying too much and not training hard. 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Not a big fan of this guy. He had so much promise. He has been given lots of opportunities. Don’t see him ending up more than a 3rd or 4th liner. 

I know someone that used to play around him and this guy apparently has a rep of partying too much and not training hard. 

he 21  :picard:

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Look at Todd Bertuzzi he was almost counted out he was good on hitting the &^@# outta ppl but crap at scoring until 2000. 

18 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think Jake can do it playing at least part of the season with those guys.

Beagle and Schaller, for what it’s worth, both have 10+ goal seasons themselves within the past 2 years.  Beagle has a 30 point season.  It’s not like Gaunce, Chaput or Megna.

Thats also discounting Jake’s ability to drive a line (which I think he has the potential to do) and then earn a promotion.

There's some interesting options, with a Roussel-Sutter-Jake line, that could be very dangerous generating speed out of our own zone. Or if Pettersson can handle C duties. something like an Eriksson-EP-Jake line has a nice mix of size and skill. I don't really see a bad option as long as the minutes are up to 15-17 per night so he gets more chances. 

36 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It's now 2018, hope you'll join us.

3 hours ago, brownky said:

jv18-race.gif

If anyone didn't see it happen, that's Connor "Fastest player in the history of the universe according to Knobgobble Media Co." Mcjesus that he outruns.

So I'm pretty stoked about this. It's alll coming together.

Sorry for being such a downer. I'm a big Virtanen fan and don't care much for Connor but Mcdavid was out for an extended shift and Virtanen just came off the bench. It was pretty incredible that it wasn't a flat out breakaway and McDavid disrupted the play. 

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Sorry for being such a downer. I'm a big Virtanen fan and don't care much for Connor but Mcdavid was out for an extended shift and Virtanen just came off the bench. It was pretty incredible that it wasn't a flat out breakaway and McDavid disrupted the play. 

Slim Shady

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Yeah, guys his age never grow out of the partying age.  He seems to be more than willing to work towards being a better defensive player.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Key words : "used to play around him"

This is old news......his rep of partying, etc.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

There's some interesting options, with a Roussel-Sutter-Jake line, that could be very dangerous generating speed out of our own zone. Or if Pettersson can handle C duties. something like an Eriksson-EP-Jake line has a nice mix of size and skill. I don't really see a bad option as long as the minutes are up to 15-17 per night so he gets more chances. 

I like that line but I want to see Jake play more LW this season.  He's far more dangerous offensively from that side.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I like that line but I want to see Jake play more LW this season.  He's far more dangerous offensively from that side.

Where do you think Jake slots in on LW if they put him there?  Baertschi might have that top spot, Goldobin the 2nd?  Virtanen on the 3rd?  on the RW it would most likely be 3rd as well, behind Boeser and Petterson.  I hope he plays top 9 and if he plays with Roussel, opposing teams will have to definitely keep their heads up with these 2 on the ice together.  

Archived