The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This deal looks like a steal to me. Go Jake go! I hope he can be good enough to merit $4M+ on his next deal.

Exactly. No shortage of motivation there. He just needs to look over his shoulder at the couple picks behind him and their paychecks. I'm predicting a great year for the kid. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I think Green has done plenty to turn him into a good defensive player already.  He's really worked hard at it and is a 200 foot player now.  Hopefully he works on his shot a ton this off-season.  He could pot 25 if he was burying the chances he generated with his speed.

I lost count of the posts he hit last year. Possibly 20 posts. Sharpen up that shot Jake and watch the zeros add up on your next contract!

Just now, rekker said:

I lost count of the posts he hit last year. Possibly 20 posts. Sharpen up that shot Jake and watch the zeros add up on your next contract!

Jake’s next contract is going to be a big one.  He scores 50 plus over this two years.  Plus, he’s going to be a beast.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake’s next contract is going to be a big one.  He scores 50 plus over this two years.  Plus, he’s going to be a beast.  

I hear you. Green and Jake are a great fit. Green suffered through many of the same growing pains as a player as Jake has. The way Jake can back off the D as he enters the zone with speed makes me smile.

I remember watching Grabner early on in his career get two or three breakaways a game and thinking "man if this guy just learns how to finish, he's gonna score alot of goals". Of course that's what he went on to do with the Islanders after the Panthers waived him.

Jake is not that different though. You can see he knows how to use his blazing speed to get to the net, it's just about knowing what to do when he gets there. Stickhandling will go a long ways in helping that cause.

Getting in better positions to shoot as well. It seemed like he was trying to snipe from impossible angles alot last season, or put it through a defenseman. That may have worked in junior but NHL defenseman are too good at deflecting shots. If you don't change the angle or make a move they're going to stop it 9 times out of 10.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I hear you. Green and Jake are a great fit. Green suffered through many of the same growing pains as a player as Jake has. The way Jake can back off the D as he enters the zone with speed makes me smile.

I think Jake scares the crap out of D on the fire heck too.  When Jake hits guys, he embarrasses and hurts them.  Jake is a bloody beast!  

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I like that line but I want to see Jake play more LW this season.  He's far more dangerous offensively from that side.

I think a lot of people have seen the same thing but Green seems intent to keep him on the right. Not sure why really. 

Congrats to Jake.

With the added grittiness stitched through the line up with the additions of Beagle Schaller and Rousell..  I think there’s a good chance Jake gets 30+ points this season.

That shot was looking impressive at the end, and his straight line hustle hard to compete against.

Good luck Jake,  do the extra 10 mins every day this summer.

It Pays back.

Very good signing by Jim.. I can see Jake continuing to improve, last 20 games last year he really was exciting to watch..He used his speed and size and drove to net hard off his wing causing havoc around the net..

I can see Jake scoring between 19-25 goals - 45 point guy in next 2 years..

Jake is going have fans excited next year with his great speed and size..

Jake - 2018-2019 GP - 74 - G 18 - A 20 - PTS- 38

44 minutes ago, jimmyking8888 said:

Very good deal for the Canucks.   Jake deserves more ice time this year. Double the ice time ,double the goals.

I sure hope Jake gets more ice time as he can change pace of game with his speed and size when he uses his natural talents..

Archived