The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] New Canucks President

Until we know who it is, we should all be wary. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, and any new President has the potential to un-do all the work of resetting this team.

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I would like to see someone like Dean Lambardi or Dale Tallon both guys have lots of experience...I just hope the new president will keep Jim Benning on as GM...

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I would like to see someone like Dean Lambardi or Dale Tallon both guys have lots of experience...I just hope the new president will keep Jim Benning on as GM...

I agree with this but see it as a thorny issue.

If the GM is young or inexperienced his/her (haha) ego will dictate "putting their own stamp on the team" which means Jim is gone as are many of his acquisitions.

A young prez will see Jim as a threat, and rightfully so.

If it is true that Jim and Aqua colluded to force Trevor out, it puts any new Prez in a compromised position, and Jim still needs to go.

If you find a Prez with enough experience to be able to see the good things Jim has done, and one that does not desire the long term job,(like Lou in TO) you still have to wonder if Jim would be willing to stay on or whether he walks before seeming to be demoted. 

Ego is a big part of sport, and this situation is fraught with potential ego and distrust issues.

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Umm what?

Do you have any proof of this? Or are you just repeating what the tabloid sports media said?

just repeating what tabloid sports media said.

this is my tabloid sports media

6 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Here's a wild and crazy idea - instead of someone who doesn't know what they're doing, how about, for once, we hire a person with a degree in sports-management?!!

Please stop making sense...there is just no place for it on CDC!

Let's bring back this guy!!! He would probably put banana peels on the ground for the other President's and GMs to slip on. Maybe a whoopie cushion on the chair or the old air horn below the office chair trick.  Bring in the Dudesons as player consultants. 

MHFA:  "Make Hockey Fun Again!"

jarkko-ruutu-8.jpg

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE THE SEDINS!!! nobody knows this team better and what it needs then them. They said they would consider returning to hockey in a management position. With two of them they would be able to do a better job overseeing all areas of the team. Everyone in management likes them and respects their input already. I wouldn't be surprised if Trev offered them the job. He doesn't seem to be the guy who likes being in the spotlight. This is the Sedins team and they can relate to the players on the team better than Linden can. 

on

Do you really think they would entertain this kind of job?   I would bet they would rather be playing next year!   To this day I thought they would still be here and on the ice (second line or even third line) helping the very young roster that we have. . .

7 hours ago, lmm said:

I agree with this but see it as a thorny issue.

If the GM is young or inexperienced his/her (haha) ego will dictate "putting their own stamp on the team" which means Jim is gone as are many of his acquisitions.

A young prez will see Jim as a threat, and rightfully so.

If it is true that Jim and Aqua colluded to force Trevor out, it puts any new Prez in a compromised position, and Jim still needs to go.

If you find a Prez with enough experience to be able to see the good things Jim has done, and one that does not desire the long term job,(like Lou in TO) you still have to wonder if Jim would be willing to stay on or whether he walks before seeming to be demoted. 

Ego is a big part of sport, and this situation is fraught with potential ego and distrust issues.

If Jim is close with the ownership they will want Jim around for at least the next 2-3 years.

This will be very interesting until they hire a president to run the business side.  Jim is now in charge of all hockey matters and he has to convince Canucks owners on any big moves. 

Burke was on sportsnet 650 and said teams don't need a president..

Archived