The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] New Canucks President

51 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If Jim is close with the ownership they will want Jim around for at least the next 2-3 years.

This will be very interesting until they hire a president to run the business side.  Jim is now in charge of all hockey matters and he has to convince Canucks owners on any big moves. 

Burke was on sportsnet 650 and said teams don't need a president..

I also wonder about this president role.  It seems to be a position that was started not too long ago and has taken off a bit (did it start of in the US market?).  I don't recall the Canucks having one before Linden.

I thought of Linden as stepping in during a tough time in Nuck history and offering up his reputation as the face of the franchise. He seemed to take on much of the interactions with the press and fans/community and certainly was a good choice for that role.  At the same time, those interactions (especially the press) could be very trying and I expect he got tired of all the BS.  He did exactly what he agreed to do and has left the team in a much better place.

I don't think the Canucks need another President.

Dean Lombardi sounds good to me. He has lots of experience has a great resume which includes Stanley Cups and has lots of respect around the league.  

No more rookies leading the mgmt team and learning on the job. Let's get a guy in here who knows what he's doing on day one and hits the ground running.  

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Found this quote written about him. I think this was from march 2017:

Lombardi has clearly valued the draft more than any other GM in Kings history and the talent the Kings have drafted is the envy of hockey clubs around the league. ... With a young, solid core in place – a core that also features great character – Lombardi has been able to compliment that group with key veterans who sport a winning track record. ... Despite such talent, Lombardi still firmly believes that you draft and develop your homegrown players and that you compliment that group in other ways, and the Kings remain a young team which coincides with Lombardi’s philosophy and track record that your team needs to get better while getting younger.

5 hours ago, Fanaholic said:

Like they would even want that job?   I highly doubt it . . . .   

You are right, but it would be cool.  

In reality, we need a business man to be the president, not necessarily a GM or ex-NHLer.  Bob Nicholson would have been great

Archived