The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] New Canucks President

Whom ever it is, this is where we as the fans will drop our jaws and a few F bombs, on the next move.

TL is now out of the picture, and if I miss my guess, FA wants a trade of a bonafide superstar. (TL) said no.

Jim will be given the go ahead to look at trading for Karlsson and Ryan. while giving up some youth and a 1st next year.

(my opinion).  FA is probably seething at the thought of getting Karlsson. Fill the seats.

The only requirement to be the new President is the ability to utter these 3 sentences.Yes Mr.Aqualini.You are right Mr.Aqualini.Anything you want Mr.Aqualini.By most accounts it sounds like Trev decided he wasn't going to say them anymore.Sounds like JImbo has no problem standing tall and saying them all day.Thus him being GM and President today.

14 hours ago, 12-16-FG said:

Whom ever it is, this is where we as the fans will drop our jaws and a few F bombs, on the next move.

TL is now out of the picture, and if I miss my guess, FA wants a trade of a bonafide superstar. (TL) said no.

Jim will be given the go ahead to look at trading for Karlsson and Ryan. while giving up some youth and a 1st next year.

(my opinion).  FA is probably seething at the thought of getting Karlsson. Fill the seats.

Uh, no.   

One of two things bring in a president that will pull the reigns back whenever Benning even thinks of signing a free agent. Or have Benning shift to the president and bring in a gm that understands the value of a hockey player in today’s age. 

That being said I do like what bennings done just has no idea how to sign a player without overpaying. 

1. I should add that he committed to PHI before the events of the last few days.

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

Dean Lombardi said today he recently signed a contract with PHI that has no “outs” for three years. He did say he was contacted by at least one other team, but said no. Asked specifically if VAN asked, he politely declined to say — adding only he is committed to PHI

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would Aquilini hire a guy with Hunter’s character though?  Hunter would be a rookie at the job though, and Aquilini only hires rookies it seems.

Hunter was trained by Lamorellio and was a scout with TO.

He watch demand for tickets increase when they announced the "planned" dive.

The media here keeps saying Vancouver fans will not endure a rebuild, they are wrong, the fans mostly endured two years of mystery plans, get youger (mantra) but no draft picks play, competitve, but lose 50+ games, get tougher, but they are close to the smallest team in 60 years, numerous fantastic prospects, but playing all over the globe and not in Vancouver, hard for the fans to track and see for themselves.

Yesterday Benning said the same thing he did when he was first hired, he thinks the team will compete for a playoff spot, is that really looking to the future or selling snake oil?

IMO stay the course of the last 3 years for two more, the CBA may take care of the third year but by year 3 or 4 some of these top ten picks should be hitting their stride, a couple of teams in the division should be on the swoon so a playoff spot should come easier. Then go after a stud dman or star type UFA but consider the cap in 4 years.

And there is the Seattle expansion draft coming so don't sign too many more clause contracts that will force the team to expose young players,

Trump for President of the Canucks...he would make a team like the world has never seen!!

It would be tremendous, just tremendous. He would get all the Russians and they would all be tremendous.

He would get all the North Korean hockey players. He would make the Canucks great again. He would only use Vancouverites for all the jobs!! 

The Canucks would win all the cups...all the cups all the time...LIKE THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN!!

THE CANUCKS WOULD BE GREAT AGAIN!!!   :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Bure1010 said:

One of two things bring in a president that will pull the reigns back whenever Benning even thinks of signing a free agent. Or have Benning shift to the president and bring in a gm that understands the value of a hockey player in today’s age. 

That being said I do like what bennings done just has no idea how to sign a player without overpaying. 

Oh come on, JB did fine re-signing all of our players.

You can complain overpaying for UFAs all day but the truth of the matter is every GM in the league overpay decent players during UFA. It is the nature of the beast.

That being said there is still no defending the Erickson contract.

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

You can complain overpaying for UFAs all day but the truth of the matter is every GM in the league overpay decent players during UFA. It is the nature of the beast.

He has done ok resigning our players. Virtanen nice deal. 

Sutter is paid quite high for a shut down Center (I understand they didn’t know what they had when they needed to sign him at the time)

baertschi look at guys around his age putting up those kinda numbers he should be around a 2.25 mil a year maybe not even. 

And yer argument about overpaying for ufas yes I agree it needs to be done at times and I do like the players they got but they are not of high quality in 3 years when u need to resign petterson maybe Hughes and juolevi if they play up by the end of the year. Resigning boeser next year gaudette in 2. Let alone if goldy leipsic or Dahlen turn into anything. Oh and our future goalie in Demko. And your still paying a 35 year old beagle and 30 year Roussel and 34 year old Erickson 12 mil. There’s possibly 15 percent of yer cap going to three guys that probably won’t be good enough to be on the team. 

Kinda short sighted for a team that shouldn’t be looking for much short term success

25 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

He has done ok resigning our players. Virtanen nice deal. 

Sutter is paid quite high for a shut down Center (I understand they didn’t know what they had when they needed to sign him at the time)

baertschi look at guys around his age putting up those kinda numbers he should be around a 2.25 mil a year maybe not even. 

And yer argument about overpaying for ufas yes I agree it needs to be done at times and I do like the players they got but they are not of high quality in 3 years when u need to resign petterson maybe Hughes and juolevi if they play up by the end of the year. Resigning boeser next year gaudette in 2. Let alone if goldy leipsic or Dahlen turn into anything. Oh and our future goalie in Demko. And your still paying a 35 year old beagle and 30 year Roussel and 34 year old Erickson 12 mil. There’s possibly 15 percent of yer cap going to three guys that probably won’t be good enough to be on the team. 

Kinda short sighted for a team that shouldn’t be looking for much short term success

Theres no NMC on any of those players. we can trade any of them if need be to clear cap space. Basically you are complaining about something that isnt there.

9 hours ago, Bure1010 said:

who would want to play in vancouver if he didn't?   Think about really...  for the last 5-8 years especially...  who would want to play on a team that can't protect their stars i.e. the Sedins and they get beat up and out of any contention, that's why Benning did the signings, like i said before, if he didn't get us tougher it'd be more of the same with Sedin/Sedin changing to Boeser/Petterson and we'd still get nowhere...  however now that's not the case...  mess with those two and your fighting for sure and schaller can fight and Roussel with drop them too and can fight as well just not quite as good and plus Guddy and Archie so no fear of Rats...........

So until it's seen as changed and we start winning anyone who will play here usually has to be overpaid for that reason... 

4 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Actually there is... i doubt anyone would have thought he'd do badly with the twins, i thought for sure it'd become a huge lethal line too.  Heard that from a lot of people and agreed with it. I thought if that was the case Benning killed it but...  that's the ONLY defence it has... what a waste but i hope for some weird reason that something changes and he lights it up. who knows.... doubtful yeah...  buy him out?  ugh...  maybe... then pass whats left over to brock or elias

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Theres no NMC on any of those players. we can trade any of them if need be to clear cap space. Basically you are complaining about something that isnt there.

Actually Roussel and beagle have limited no trade clauses plus Whos gonna want them in a couple years. But I never said I didn’t like those guys just at that value isn’t ideal. In order to trade them if u can U have to retain salary or give up a pick or prospect with them or take on another bad contract

plus those two contracts and Ericksons have yearly bonuses attached to them meaning they are buy out proof

2 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

Actually Roussel and beagle have limited no trade clauses plus Whos gonna want them in a couple years. But I never said I didn’t like those guys just at that value isn’t ideal. In order to trade them if u can U have to retain salary or give up a pick or prospect with them or take on another bad contract

plus those two contracts and Ericksons have yearly bonuses attached to them meaning they are buy out proof

Actually Roussel and Beagle are going to stay with us, because we will need their grit and experience for our Cup runs coming in the next four seasons.  We are a lot closer to being a great team than many realize.  Pettersson and Hughes are both not only great players, but they are generational talents.  They are going to lead us to Cups, and Roussel and Beagle are going to be big parts of the first one.  

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually Roussel and Beagle are going to stay with us, because we will need their grit and experience for our Cup runs coming in the next four seasons.  We are a lot closer to being a great team than many realize.  Pettersson and Hughes are both not only great players, but they are generational talents.  They are going to lead us to Cups, and Roussel and Beagle are going to be big parts of the first one.  

Man Alf local media needs to hire  you to offset the constant negativity.  You and Appolo should do a morning show or something.

Archived