The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] New Canucks President

11 hours ago, Bure1010 said:

Actually Roussel and beagle have limited no trade clauses plus Whos gonna want them in a couple years. But I never said I didn’t like those guys just at that value isn’t ideal. In order to trade them if u can U have to retain salary or give up a pick or prospect with them or take on another bad contract

plus those two contracts and Ericksons have yearly bonuses attached to them meaning they are buy out proof

Bolded, this you will not have to do. plenty of teams want grit for the playoff run.Again I think you are making too much of this. Its a non issue

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Man Alf local media needs to hire  you to offset the constant negativity.  You and Appolo should do a morning show or something.

Only problem with Alf and Apollo is their Canuck love comes with disdain for pretty much everyone else. It’s okay to like what we have without tearing others down. :P 

16 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolded, this you will not have to do. plenty of teams want grit for the playoff run.Again I think you are making too much of this. Its a non issue

Back to my original statement never said I don’t think the Canucks need these type of guys. I think they need grit and toughness. I stated that they should bring in someone to prevent Benning from overpaying these type of players. Beagle Roussel and Schaller are going to be a devastating 4th line only issue I had was paying so much for for them. 

1 minute ago, Bure1010 said:

Back to my original statement never said I don’t think the Canucks need these type of guys. I think they need grit and toughness. I stated that they should bring in someone to prevent Benning from overpaying these type of players. Beagle Roussel and Schaller are going to be a devastating 4th line only issue I had was paying so much for for them. 

That's the market for players that

1) are in high demand for their position and style of play

2) are being asked to come to a losing team with no chance to win the cup in their four years. its a trade off.

Every year someone signs a Free agent contract and people go OMG they paid too much. These players serve a desperate need for our club and got paid well for it. The cap will go up in the four years they are here, and the contracts of certain other players not performing to their pay will become less of an issue like Gagner.

These are good signings at market value and they would not have come to the Canucks without the term. Ideally we would get players signed at discounts to play with our stars. That isn't going to happen right now so we have to be realistic. We dont know what other teams were offering these players and what Benning had to do to get them to sign here instead of another destination.

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Only problem with Alf and Apollo is their Canuck love comes with disdain for pretty much everyone else. It’s okay to like what we have without tearing others down. :P 

But think of the entertainment value, McDavid blows into town and scores a hat trick and trounce is 6-1, but somehow we will have outplayed them.  

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] New Canucks President
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 1:17 PM, mpt said:

You are right, but it would be cool.  

In reality, we need a business man to be the president, not necessarily a GM or ex-NHLer.  Bob Nicholson would have been great

In a way yes but I think someone that can take the lead in press interviews. This market has such poor sports reporting that a good press relations is necessary, that's why I like Ryan Johnson. When he speaks people listen. His Utica GM interviews are great.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

In a way yes but I think someone that can take the lead in press interviews. This market has such poor sports reporting that a good press relations is necessary, that's why I like Ryan Johnson. When he speaks people listen. His Utica GM interviews are great.

I'll have to check them out.  He was a great person while playing in Vancouver.

• 4 weeks later...

Came upon a random article where there were these rumours from My NHL Trade Rumour.

They’re a bit dated but a reminder of what might have happened altogether seems to have weight.

Lombardi/ Voynov

Linden, Benning on Hughes

Linden, Benning on Tavares

Elliotte Friedman: Have been hearing that there Dean Lombardi is a serious contender for an open position with the Canucks.

Satiar Shah: “Canucks ownership doesn’t move on from someone unless they have a good idea who the replacement is.” Lombardi name had come up with the Canucks before Benning got his extension.

Sportsnet 650: Elliotte Friedman: “The blow back would be fierce if Lombardi came to Vancouver and brought Slava Voynov with him.”

Rick DhaliwalTrevor Linden leaving the Canucks has nothing to do with Quinn Hughes decision to go pro or not. Hughes is still deciding on what he’ll be doing next season.

Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: It is believed that Linden had been telling Hughes’ camp that it would be best for him to go back to Michigan for another year. Some others within the organization didn’t agree with this.

Benning will be meeting with Hughes’ camp today.

There were other reports that ownership wanted to offer John Tavares an $85 million deal, but Linden wasn’t pitching that idea.

In conclusion, since nothing is done well without full cooperation, Benning has a Cup. Linden has a really good picture of himself with McLean.

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Came upon a random article where there were these rumours from My NHL Trade Rumour.

They’re a bit dated but a reminder of what might have happened altogether seems to have weight.

Lombardi/ Voynov

Linden, Benning on Hughes

Linden, Benning on Tavares

Elliotte Friedman: Have been hearing that there Dean Lombardi is a serious contender for an open position with the Canucks.

Satiar Shah: “Canucks ownership doesn’t move on from someone unless they have a good idea who the replacement is.” Lombardi name had come up with the Canucks before Benning got his extension.

Sportsnet 650: Elliotte Friedman: “The blow back would be fierce if Lombardi came to Vancouver and brought Slava Voynov with him.”

Rick DhaliwalTrevor Linden leaving the Canucks has nothing to do with Quinn Hughes decision to go pro or not. Hughes is still deciding on what he’ll be doing next season.

Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province: It is believed that Linden had been telling Hughes’ camp that it would be best for him to go back to Michigan for another year. Some others within the organization didn’t agree with this.

Benning will be meeting with Hughes’ camp today.

There were other reports that ownership wanted to offer John Tavares an $85 million deal, but Linden wasn’t pitching that idea.

In conclusion, since nothing is done well without full cooperation, Benning has a Cup. Linden has a really good picture of himself with McLean.

4386CF53-F944-4D89-8467-85269B1ECB31.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 2:01 PM, chilliwiggins said:

With all the hype about Aquilni and his fingers in everything, I highly doubt anyone with credibility is coming this way, unless they are a highly touted from a lower league wanting there first crack at the NHL level.

Expect years for this so called rebuild to have any sort of return, as in the standings.

i don't like Aquilini either. But man, you gotta feel for Ottawa with Melynk as the owner of that team. At least Aquilini spends money. 

The lesser of two evils? I'd rather have Aquilini than Melynk. 

Archived