The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snarky Blogger Syndrome

5nothincanucksohno

Looking at the online chatter regarding the Linden departure it is no surprise he left. The owner likely played a part in his departure but the vibe around this team is undeservedly negative. I could understand if the organization was a complete tire fire but when analyzed rationally, the level of depth and quality of prospects they have added over the last three years is impressive. They still have to deliver at the NHL level but on a normal timeline they are still 2 or 3 years away from that being a reality.

The snarky blogger syndrome that pervades much of the online content is typically based on what might happen rather than what has happened or does happen...perfect example being the new hot blogger/media/Benning hater narrative that the Canucks are blocking prospects from joining the NHL team. The question I would ask is which NHL ready prospect has not been given a shot to this point?

So what if the Canucks lose the odd player on waivers (Mgmt's judgement has been solid to date and I still remember the melt down about Frankie Corrado), I would rather have more bodies than not especially when injuries inevitably hit in Oct, Nov and Dec. Quite often the best time to add a prospect to the lineup is during an injury - less pressure because it gives them a taste without having to be relied on to fill a roster spot. Ideally the prospect runs with it but worse case scenario they go back to the AHL for more seasoning.

For the most part, CDC generally has rational posters so that is a good thing...I have also seen more an more comments on some of the other sites offering more balanced analysis of Mgmt's moves so, there is some light. I have always defended the fan base but the screechy wheels on twitter, etc. sure make it hard some time.

Regardless, sad to see Linden go as he was always a class act. Would have been nice to see him finish what he started.

I really doubt twitter and some radio know-nothings would have that kind of effect on Linden. Its not a good but social media feeds of negativity for many things not just our local hockey market. 

I only come here for hockey talk, yeah a lot of people complain about CDC, people will meme it often but it sure as hell is better for talk than pretty much everywhere else. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. People just like to focus on the few super negative off the wall posts rather than the whole of CDC. Which is human nature. 10 people can walk past you, 9 of them will compliment you but it only takes that one guy to hit you with a insult and you'll focus on the one insult rather than the positive things 9 other people said. That's CDC in a nutshell. Lots of people with smart informative opinions, but we all focus on the handful of negative lads and then we all go around generalizing CDC. Go to Twitter, go see other sports related forums. See how engaging hockey talk there is. Lol. CDC isn't all that bad.

30 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I only come here for hockey talk, yeah a lot of people complain about CDC, people will meme it often but it sure as hell is better for talk than pretty much everywhere else. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. People just like to focus on the few super negative off the wall posts rather than the whole of CDC. Which is human nature. 10 people can walk past you, 9 of them will compliment you but it only takes that one guy to hit you with a insult and you'll focus on the one insult rather than the positive things 9 other people said. That's CDC in a nutshell. Lots of people with smart informative opinions, but we all focus on the handful of negative lads and then we all go around generalizing CDC. Go to Twitter, go see other sports related forums. See how engaging hockey talk there is. Lol. CDC isn't all that bad.

I agree CDC is actually solid and usually presents legit conversation (i.e. whether posters agree or disagree with Mgmt's moves). Prefer CDC over most sites these days given most are fully against anything Mgmt does these days.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Not a lot of substance here but if you think a few trolls had any influence on any decision management or ownership has made to this point than I would have to disagree. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really doubt twitter and some radio know-nothings would have that kind of effect on Linden. Its not a good but social media feeds of negativity for many things not just our local hockey market. 

Maybe but the extreme reaction of the squeaky wheels (don't just mean twitter - but at town halls, etc.) clearly surprised Linden and played a part in him burning out.

I want this place to be a metaphorical, 1970's-era, Tim Ho's, where we're a bunch of regulars sitting at the communal 1,000 seat round table.. talking hockey-philosophy/wisdom. To perfect vision, we might even set up the donut conveyor(ala' affordable sushi shop) to hybrid my present reality with that magical DS of olden times.

Of course someone here eventually throws a timbit at another, & all Hell breaks loose! More stress nowadays, because there's so much information out there(mostly that, I'd say)...

Suppose when there's a cross-section of 100's interacting(1000's?), dissension & discord will eventually rear their ugly head. I bet comparatively(with almost all internet sites/social groups) this one is relatively tame & respectful. I've really only scrolled HFBoards for comparison's sake..& that toxic environment seems to reveal some kind of anti-Canuck, eastern biased-rhetoric.

As for Trev? Likely socked away millions..can buy himself lots of time, to ride a bike & mull things over. If only we were all so fortunate!

On 2018-07-26 at 10:21 AM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

How would I go about doing that? Is setting up a blog easy? How many hours a day would you recommend I spend on my blog? Daily, weekly or monthly updates? Do you like ice cream and should I incorporate that into my blog?

Not to be rude, but you don't require your own damn thread when there are already several threads discussing the things you’ve regurgitated in the OP. 

On 2018-07-26 at 10:25 AM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Maybe but the extreme reaction of the squeaky wheels (don't just mean twitter - but at town halls, etc.) clearly surprised Linden and played a part in him burning out.

I seriously doubt a few “squeaky wheels” had any effect on TL.  How about he has a very young family now, and chose to spend more time with them?  I guess that would make too much sense.  

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

I seriously doubt a few “squeaky wheels” had any effect on TL.  How about he has a very young family now, and chose to spend more time with them?  I guess that would make too much sense.  

The backlash from certain sectors clearly had an impact on him...how much I don't know but fortunately we can all believe what we want.

It’s really impressive how many “facts” are made up. I remember back when Aquaman said he was a huge canucks fan, and how that really started the meddling owner crap.

There are many people in the world who have no clue what they’re talking about but continue to do so. It can be frustrating to hear, especially when trying to stick to real facts a logic.

The truth is we don’t know why Linden left and no matter how hard any of us speculated we won’t know.

Archived