The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing our young guns to current/ex NHL players

Gator

No this is not saying they will be as good as these guys, just a comparison to how they play the game, in case anyone is wondering.

Horvat - Bergeron

Boeser - Ovechkin

Pettersson - God

Virtanen - Bertuzzi

Hughes - Orr 

Juolevi - Vlasic

Gaudette - Kesler

Gadjovich - Lucic

Tryamkin - Chara

Demko - Schnieder

Ones I left out, i am unsure what player to compare them with. Please try it out and let's see everyone's opinion on the type of players we have coming to the big club soon!

Hope everyone enjoys!

And yes if God played hockey, I bet he'd be just like Pettersson ;) haha :P

Boeser and Ovie are two very different players. Yes, they both have a great shot and can score a lot, but that's it. Ovie is a tank. I'd say Boeser is more like Seguin.

I can see Pettersson being similar to Peter Stastny. Will be an excellent playmaker. Fun fact: Stastny once accumulated 81 assists (41 goals) in a 76 game season. Wow.

Virtanen is like McDavid, without the hands and brains. ;) Both have good size (Virtanen is beefier), great speed and a great shot. But seriously, I would say Jake is similar to Frank Mahovlich.

In what way are Ovi and Boeser similar players? They are both scorers but that's really where the comparisons end. Virtanen is not Bertuzzi either. Virtanen is not a traditional power forward. Gadjovich isn't like Lucic. I'd say he leans a bit more towards Holmstrom. I haven't watched/seen nearly enough from Gaudette, Hughes, and Juolevi to gauge who their comparables are. Gaudette I am not sure has the sniping ability of Kesler nor does he have Kesler's edge. I dunno how good God is at hockey but I imagine he's honored to be compared to Pettersson.

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

In what way are Ovi and Boeser similar players? They are both scorers but that's really where the comparisons end. Virtanen is not Bertuzzi either. Virtanen is not a traditional power forward. Gadjovich isn't like Lucic. I'd say he leans a bit more towards Holmstrom. I haven't watched/seen nearly enough from Gaudette, Hughes, and Juolevi to gauge who their comparables are. Gaudette I am not sure has the sniping ability of Kesler nor does he have Kesler's edge. I dunno how good God is at hockey but I imagine he's honored to be compared to Pettersson.

OVI and Boeser are elite snipers. Yes not exactly the same players but Boeser is the closest your going to get to that sniping ability. Laine could be thrown in there as well

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Horvat - Smyl

Boeser - Naslund

Pettersson - Datsyuk

Datsyuk is a great comparison, why didn't I think of that? Lol 

Man I am so stoked to watch that kid next year, he is really something special.

Can't believe I was disappointed when we drafted him LOL

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser and Ovie are two very different players. Yes, they both have a great shot and can score a lot, but that's it. Ovie is a tank. I'd say Boeser is more like Seguin.

I can see Pettersson being similar to Peter Stastny. Will be an excellent playmaker. Fun fact: Stastny once accumulated 81 assists (41 goals) in a 76 game season. Wow.

Virtanen is like McDavid, without the hands and brains. ;) Both have good size (Virtanen is beefier), great speed and a great shot. But seriously, I would say Jake is similar to Frank Mahovlich.

Boeser is more like Bossey.

Jake is Bob Gainy.

The rest work for me.

Horvat-Bergeron 

Boeser-Vanek/Hossa (both these guys were elite scorers in their prime)

Pettersson-Datsyuk

Dahlen-Arvidsson

Virtanen-Dustin Brown

Gaudette-Adam Henrique

Gadjovich-Tom Wilson

Lind-Reilly Smith

Lockwood-Hansen

Goldobin-Panarin (kid has a ton of talent just needs to put it all together and he will be elite)

Hughes-Duncan Keith

Juolevi-Alex Edler

Woo-Hamonic

Tryamkin-Myers

Stecher-Spurgeon

Demko-Schneider 

Di Pietro-No clue. Hope he makes it tho

With all due respect, I think these types of career-comparisons are best when both comparables are in the rear view.

With the hard history on the left coast, the heartache in the old Pacific Coliseum might be best compared with the antics in Linda Blair's bedroom!

Does it need a wreckin' ball? Have we exorcised the ghosts?..shall I post in Latin? Stay tuned... 

Horvat - Bergeron

Boeser - an elite version of Patrick Sharp 

Pettersson - Datsyuk with a better shot and more reach

Virtanen - Jarome Iginla

Hughes - Coffey/ Leetch

Juolevi - Edler sans back injury (#2 defenceman)

Gaudette - Kesler (but not 40 goal kes. 25 goal kes)

Gadjovich - Lucic

Tryamkin - Chara with better hands/lesser shot

Demko - Schnieder

Dipietro - Quick

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

Horvat - Bergeron

Boeser - an elite version of Patrick Sharp 

Pettersson - Datsyuk with a better shot and more reach

Virtanen - Jarome Iginla

Hughes - Coffey/ Leetch

Juolevi - Edler sans back injury (#2 defenceman)

Gaudette - Kesler (but not 40 goal kes. 25 goal kes)

Gadjovich - Lucic

Tryamkin - Chara with better hands/lesser shot

Demko - Schnieder

Dipietro - Quick

Like this.  Adds up to 3 Lord Stanley Cups during the 2020’s for sure!   :towel:

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

OVI and Boeser are elite snipers. Yes not exactly the same players but Boeser is the closest your going to get to that sniping ability. Laine could be thrown in there as well

As a matter of fact there are lots of Snipers like Boeser. Far better suited comparisons than Ovi. 

3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

No this is not saying they will be as good as these guys, just a comparison to how they play the game, in case anyone is wondering.

Horvat - Bergeron

Boeser - Ovechkin

Pettersson - God

Virtanen - Bertuzzi

Hughes - Orr 

Juolevi - Vlasic

Gaudette - Kesler

Gadjovich - Lucic

Tryamkin - Chara

Demko - Schnieder

Ones I left out, i am unsure what player to compare them with. Please try it out and let's see everyone's opinion on the type of players we have coming to the big club soon!

Hope everyone enjoys!

And yes if God played hockey, I bet he'd be just like Pettersson ;) haha :P

source.gif

Archived