The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing our young guns to current/ex NHL players

Gator

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

As a matter of fact there are lots of Snipers like Boeser. Far better suited comparisons than Ovi. 

Such as? 

IMO Ovi, Stamkos, and Laine are the only 3 players that can snipe like Brock

38 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Such as? 

IMO Ovi, Stamkos, and Laine are the only 3 players that can snipe like Brock

Matthews? Other than Matthews being center I'd say they are similar. In terms of comparisons Boeser is more of a catch and shoot player. Ovi can catch and shoot, he can carry the puck, he hits. When thinking of a comparison I am thinking more than just the ability to shoot.  

11 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Horvat - Smyl

Boeser - Naslund

Pettersson - Datsyuk

I don't see how Horvat and Smyl are similar - Smyl was a tank that ran over everything in sight.  The only other guy I saw make that many hits in a single shift, damn near every shift, was Pat Verbeek.  Horvat rarely hits anyone.  I can see Boeser comparing to Naslund though - both had /have great shots and lots of smarts - I like that comparison - Naslund might have been a better skater, though - both had great shots, but I never saw  Naslund send anywhere near as many D men off limping as Boeser does.

Pettersson - Datsyuk I'd have to see a lot more of Pettersson to really judge that, but he does appear to be amazingly slippery.

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don't see how Horvat and Smyl are similar - Smyl was a tank that ran over everything in sight.  The only other guy I saw make that many hits in a single shift, damn near every shift, was Pat Verbeek.  Horvat rarely hits anyone.  I can see Boeser comparing to Naslund though - both had /have great shots and lots of smarts - I like that comparison - Naslund might have been a better skater, though - both had great shots, but I never saw  Naslund send anywhere near as many D men off limping as Boeser does.

Pettersson - Datsyuk I'd have to see a lot more of Pettersson to really judge that, but he does appear to be amazingly slippery.

I haven’t watched enough Smyl, so my bad on the playing style comparison.

I was thinking point totals/leadership qualities there.

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Matthews? Other than Matthews being center I'd say they are similar. In terms of comparisons Boeser is more of a catch and shoot player. Ovi can catch and shoot, he can carry the puck, he hits. When thinking of a comparison I am thinking more than just the ability to shoot.  

Ok I'll bite, if Pettersson can be Oates than Boeser  is Hull.  Him and Bossy are the only other players I've watched that can pick corners the same way.  

Ok Gretzky too, at least earlier in his career when he shot more.  He actually scored far corner off a face-off with a quick snap shot, sickest goal I've ever seen on an aging Gretzky "50 greatest goals" DVD I have (which I think came from an older VCR version). 

Horvat -O'Reilly or Landsekog

Pettersson - ?? Hard to say before he's played a game in the NHL.  Stay tuned for more in a couple years.

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Pat Verbeek the little ball of hate all 5'9" of him, think he might have scored 500+ goals too by the time he was done..like watching a pin ball bouncing into and off everything all game long. You look at the team the early Panthers assembled and you can see why they went all the way to the final, great goaltending, and collection of rag-tag misfits that were plucky and could score goals in bunches.  Skrudland, Dineen, the Rat Trick,  and a rookie Jovo laying guys out. Beezer doing his best Roy impression (actually his career stats were impressive for his time, elite sp). 

Scotty Walker was like Verbeek too, same size, hit everything that moved, fought well, not nearly as good hands though.

14 hours ago, Western Red said:

I'd avoid doing this... Sets up nothing but let down. Be chill and let them evolve into their own players. 

Yeah... I'm not really sure what the OP's reasoning for doing this was since it is unlikely too many of these guys would hit the level of their comparative player.  (With a few exceptions; we do have a couple gems in our pool)

Still, just imagine if our guys did reach such ceilings.  It's nice to dream...

7 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I haven’t watched enough Smyl, so my bad on the playing style comparison.

I was thinking point totals/leadership qualities there.

I am old enough to have watched lots of Smyl, the only Canuck of more recent vintage to have hit that much was Cooke.  I think pretty much anybody getting hit by Smyl saw it coming, though.  Smyl was agreat’by Example’ leader.  Another guy that used to hit a ton was Hilliard Greaves, a forward who used to bury guys with hip-checks -and therefore much hated.  Sure hope you are right with your Pettersson comparison, Datsyuk was one heckuva player in his prime.

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah... I'm not really sure what the OP's reasoning for doing this was since it is unlikely too many of these guys would hit the level of their comparative player.  (With a few exceptions; we do have a couple gems in our pool)

Still, just imagine if our guys did reach such ceilings.  It's nice to dream...

This is what hockey fans do in the summer

One guy i saw missed

Palmu- Ronning

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah... I'm not really sure what the OP's reasoning for doing this was since it is unlikely too many of these guys would hit the level of their comparative player.

You answered your own question.....

Archived