The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Port Coquitlam Workers Fired Over Theft Want Their Jobs Back

DonLever

16 hours ago, luckylager said:

What? We're talking about Public Works? Stealing copper?.. Kinda surprised they had the work ethic required to almost pull that off.

I mean really. I'm sure you've seen Public Works guys at "work". 

Talk about theft. It takes eight guys and a backhoe, staring at a pot hole for seven hours, just to fill it with sand.

Those guys are a bunch of lazy mother&^@#ers.

you forgot the flagger leaning on something, smoking and holding the stop sign upside down and backwards by their feet.

2 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

you forgot the flagger leaning on something, smoking and holding the stop sign upside down and backwards by their feet.

Does it really matter what other people do for a living? Everyone is just trying to make some ends meet and have a decent life for themselves and their families.

13 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Does it really matter what other people do for a living? Everyone is just trying to make some ends meet and have a decent life for themselves and their families.

When it is our tax dollars paying for substandard work and that not only goes unpunished but in some cases defended, you're damn right it matters.

17 hours ago, coastal.view said:

yeah hard to find another job i guess with that black mark on their records

and who would not want that old job back

the side benefits were quite attractive

:wub:

seems they got what they deserved

fired for theft

and hope lawsuits ensue

to force them to pay back the value of the goods stolen

and not just the amount of money they pocketed

for fire selling valuable gear

which local citizens are forced to cover now on their behalf

I won’t and can’t say much but I know who was fired. I can say 1 or more of them have a new and better job opportunity  with a former boss and some are going to retire. 

18 hours ago, DonLever said:

“Based on the statements from the employees and the evidence that the city had at that point, that’s when the decision was made that the decision to terminate was unjust.”

it is probably a good thing

that the terminations are not just limited to information they had at the time of the firings

but can use information they have gathered after as well

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

When it is our tax dollars paying for substandard work and that not only goes unpunished but in some cases defended, you're damn right it matters.

I was always told to worry about what I am doing and not worry about what others are doing and you will be happier in life. It's worked well so far for me.

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Don't take it the wrong way, I only meant it as a joke.  I just think everyone can think of a time where they've seen a situation much like the one being described.  As it's been pointed out, it's a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black as I sit here posting on a discussion board while at work...

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They were going to have a fair hearing but the wiring to the building is missing so it has been postponed.....

The following is a true and ironic story. I have a friend who goes to the Naramata Centre which is run by the United Church of Canada. He tells me that the whole area's economy is so dependent on the Naramata Centre running. Now, the centre was nice enough to hire union workers to do the cleanup. However, one time, the religious leader there was helping clean up some tables (Jesus saying, "do unto others what you want them to do unto you" and all), and one of the union workers immediately filed a protest saying that that is further proof that the centre is nickel-and-diming them by not hiring enough workers or giving them a higher salary. The church tried to point out that the centre is not-for-profit and that they can't afford to hire any more workers. The union workers decide to go ahead and have a strike anyways and so the centre had to close down. The problem is that the yearly BC union retreat happens at the Naramata Centre. Because the centre was closed down, they had to find another place, and because that other place was nowhere near as good as the Naramata Centre, the union workers from the other union start majorly complaining about why the venue had to be changed.

20 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Not a fan of unions. They protect the weak and the dead-Weight. In this case, they protect scum. Boo. 

Yeah, those paid vacations, sick pay, 40 hour work weeks, coffee and lunch breaks are just so terrible. Unions should have never been created and fought for them.

4 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I was always told to worry about what I am doing and not worry about what others are doing and you will be happier in life. It's worked well so far for me.

I agree, in cases where those involved aren't being cheated.  Union corruption, government corruption, corporate corruption... they all hurt everyone else, to some degree or another.  Prices go up, taxes are wasted, and likely other problems as well.

I think unions are two fold really. One one hand they can protect the worker. On the other hand they can give workers a sense of not having to work hard.

Random note: I remember at one point our local college was supposed to have a strike and then a couple of the teachers in that union prevented it from happening. Ironically enough, those teachers were actually threatened due to certain people not being able to make a profit on the strike as a result. (Can't really verify if this is all true mind you but it's certainly what I heard at the time)

15 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Yeah, those paid vacations, sick pay, 40 hour work weeks, coffee and lunch breaks are just so terrible. Unions should have never been created and fought for them.

Just saying, with the good, comes the bad. 

Look at this OP example...

You want an even better one, look at the BCTF and the way they do business... for the kids, of course. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I don't think people are disrespecting the profession (that certainly wasn't my intent). The problem is how some individuals choose to do their job, not the job itself. 

On 7/27/2018 at 7:06 PM, BowtieCanuck said:

Welcome to 2018 where we already have labour laws enshrined.

Unions had a place and may still have a place in some situations.... but some industries don't need unions anymore (eg. government and other tax-payer funded positions).  

Archived