The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Current Ownership Failing this Team?

Dungass

Obviously since the question is in my head, I lean towards yes.  I've suspected for some time that Benning was hired partly on the grounds of being able to tell the Aquilini's what they wanted to hear.  In 2014 it was re-tool on the fly, later it wouldn't be fair to tear the team down because of the Sedins, to flat out refusing to say even the word rebuild.  Now with Linden's departure, the consensus seems to be that Trevor wanted to the team not to fast track anything and take their time.  It sounds like he really tried to do his research at the draft and presumably presented the ownership a comprehensive display of his case.

What I see since the departure of Gillis, is a consistent refusal of ownership to start from scratch and take a patient approach to rebuilding this team.  They seem to want to cut corners with short term fixes every chance they get, and Benning is apparently saying "yes" to this approach.  I don't totally begrudge them, they are businessmen after all, and who wants to take a bigger loss than they have to?  Regardless, it is short sighted.

Anyways, I'm not a hardliner on this, in fact, I like the moves Benning made this summer, term aside of course.  The team needed to toughen up for years now, and who knows, they could surprise.  But I am concerned by an ownership group that wants to constantly put short term, band-aid fixes on long term problems.  

14 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Obviously since the question is in my head, I lean towards yes.  I've suspected for some time that Benning was hired partly on the grounds of being able to tell the Aquilini's what they wanted to hear.  In 2014 it was re-tool on the fly, later it wouldn't be fair to tear the team down because of the Sedins, to flat out refusing to say even the word rebuild.  Now with Linden's departure, the consensus seems to be that Trevor wanted to the team not to fast track anything and take their time.  It sounds like he really tried to do his research at the draft and presumably presented the ownership a comprehensive display of his case.

What I see since the departure of Gillis, is a consistent refusal of ownership to start from scratch and take a patient approach to rebuilding this team.  They seem to want to cut corners with short term fixes every chance they get, and Benning is apparently saying "yes" to this approach.  I don't totally begrudge them, they are businessmen after all, and who wants to take a bigger loss than they have to?  Regardless, it is short sighted.

Anyways, I'm not a hardliner on this, in fact, I like the moves Benning made this summer, term aside of course.  The team needed to toughen up for years now, and who knows, they could surprise.  But I am concerned by an ownership group that wants to constantly put short term, band-aid fixes on long term problems.  

The answer is no. This fanbase is failing this team.

What's with the love in here with Linden? Re-tool on the fly, not fair to Sedins etc. These were words uttered by Benning, but crafted by Linden. Linden set the direction and focus of player personnel decisions and hockey operations and Benning had to execute his plan.

If anything it was Linden abstaining from recognizing that this is now a young mans game, with speed and skill. Willie D was Linden's hiring, an old school real gud hockey guy who coveted veteran leadership.

Benning and Green are more aligned in the youth movement than Linden ever was. This is now Benning's show, and if his draft record thus far is any indication, I suspect we'll see a lot more good decisions being made than bad.

IMO Linden was the problem, not ownership, Benning or Green.

I strongly disagree with this entire post. How can any body still argue the team isn't in a full blown rebuild right now? Not wanting to be an absolute joke of a team in the Sedins' last season was out of respect. But now that's done, the ball is rolling.

If it's true Gillis wanted a rebuild in 2012 and ownership nixed that than yes, I agree.  This isn't baseball, a large payroll doesn't win championships.  It's great that they are willing to spend to the cap, but you need to develop from within and be patient, I don't think ownership is at this point and that is only making things worse.  Let the hockey people do their jobs.

He needs to step back and let the professionals he hired run the team. This isn't just Linden, but going back to Gillis and even Nonis,  Ownership has nixed a lot of deals and got way to involved at the micro level. (almost selling the farm to get Brad Richards, not trading Hamhuis, chasing Loui Eriksson, not rebuilding after 2013, the hiring of Tortorella, now Linden stepping down) 

As for failing this team? Not really. They own it, they can do whatever they want with it really. It's just disheartening to see it as a fan. I want to see the team be able to build up the depth and talent to win a cup, not just make the playoffs and be out in one round.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

He needs to step back and let the professionals he hired run the team. This isn't just Linden, but going back to Gillis and even Nonis,  Ownership has nixed a lot of deals and got way to involved at the micro level. (not trading Hamhuis, chasing Loui Eriksson, not rebuilding after 2013, the hiring of Tortorella, now Linden stepping down) 

As for failing this team? Not really. They own it, they can do whatever they want with it really. It's just disheartening to see it as a fan.

This is in part due to the fact that everyone that's been in senior management from a hockey operations perspective since the Aquillini Group has owned the team have had zero experience prior to obtaining the hockey ops job. Benning is the FIRST legitimately experienced hockey ops guy to be in senior management since BURKE. We had 10 years. an ENTIRE decade of inexperienced Hockey Ops people. It's no wonder we're only just now turning things around.

Linden again had ZERO hockey ops knowledge, just a naive opinion from having played the game for 20 years. Just because what Benning is saying is what the owners want to hear doesn't mean what Benning is saying is wrong. They are listening to Benning because Benning knows what the &^@# he's talking about. Everyone is so quick to jump behind a guy that really had zero experience coming into the job and was just beginning to figure it out, but had used up all of his good will with ownership.

Well, I've thought this for quite some time now; the ownership is good in that they're willing to spend the money, but since a lot of that money is spent in a misplaced fashion on "band-aid fixes" such as overpriced free-agents, then yes, they are failing this team. The things ownership have given the 'green light' to such as certain contracts and most recently firing Linden (speculation) for not sharing their vision suggests that their primary goal is to have a team right now which is good to the point of holding the fans interest enough to keep them spending the dollars - with hopefully a round or two of playoff revenue as well. A Stanley Cup win seems like a secondary and unexpected/unrealistic goal which would be a total surprise and nothing more than a jackpot of bonus gravy not to be repeated under this ownership, ever.

This is just my take on the Aqua group though.

6 minutes ago, DSVII said:

He needs to step back and let the professionals he hired run the team. This isn't just Linden, but going back to Gillis and even Nonis,  Ownership has nixed a lot of deals and got way to involved at the micro level. (almost selling the farm to get Brad Richards, not trading Hamhuis, chasing Loui Eriksson, not rebuilding after 2013, the hiring of Tortorella, now Linden stepping down) 

As for failing this team? Not really. They own it, they can do whatever they want with it really. It's just disheartening to see it as a fan. I want to see the team be able to build up the depth and talent to win a cup, not just make the playoffs and be out in one round.

Is there actual verifiable proof that the Aquilinis were involved in any of that in a micromanaging level? All of those moves were done by Gillis and Benning respectively.

I'm not taking up a "defend ownership" mantle, by the way, I just want to know if there is any proof or if the bolded being the work of ownership is more rampant speculation by the local media.

Despite Trevors departure, I would largely have to say NO.  Yes, this team is not performing, nor should it, who are we kidding?  There is a very large opportunity for some vets to rebuild themselves to prior success, and an even larger opportunity for our up and coming young core to take the next step and show this fanbase what they have.  This is going to be a process (ala Gillis), its going to take some time, and there will be hurdles along the way but that said take a look around.

Bo Horvat - Future captain, workhorse of a leader, who is killer in the faceoff circle.

Brock Boeser - Articles already popping up claiming he will threaten for the Rocket Richard

Elias Pettersen - Just finished carving up the mens league in sweden, setting all kinds of records.  Has the potential to be a superstar.

Quinn Hughes - Top flight puck moving defenseman, who is dangerous in every zone.  Already being heralded as one of the fastest skaters in the NHL.  He was quoted when asked about playing against McDavid as it being "fun"

Thatcher Demko - Has already cut his teeth in the American league, and looked very comfortable there, and I believe he shattered some of Corey Schneiders old records in Boston College.

What I see above is the starting of an elite core.  Mix that with some of the vets already here, in Sutter, Edler, Beagle, Rousel, and you start to see a team that is going to push.  I look at Rousel and Beagel as line mates for Virtanen to learn from.  Work ethic, and heavy hard hitting hockey is what he will get form them, and perhaps maybe, he may show that he was worth that first rounder.

On top of all of this, there are the other guys still making there way up (starting with Gaudette, Goldy and company) which will be pushing up from the bottom to get on this team.

I digress, do I think ownership is failing this team?  No, not a single bit, i'm a patient fan, and I trust that these guys know what they are doing, and if they screw it up.. Whelp, its there money.

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If current ownership didn't own the team, it might not be here.

I doubt that.  The Galiridis(sp?) wouldn't have moved this franchise had they bought it instead of the Aqulinni's.  As much as I hate Bettman even I don't think he's heartless and clueless enough to endorse Canada's western most franchise to relocate to the states, even it was to Seattle. 

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Has there ever been an ownership group that Canucks' fans were happy with? Guess it goes with the territory until you win a Cup............

I was young at the time but the Griffin's(sp?) seem pretty well respected in the lower mainland when they owned the Nucks. 

43 minutes ago, Dungass said:

WELL you said it way better than I  could have.   100%  AGREE with U . . .

My thought process is Aqualini hired Benning because he said the right things. Retool on the fly while remaining competitive. That didn’t work and we’ve gone through some rebuild years. Some rebuild years that the owners were finally onboard with. However I feel Linden left because Aqualini sees the compete green light shaping up with excitement about Pettersson, Hughes and the rest of the young guys. I think Linden was leaning towards don’t rush the kids let them develop a little while longer the rebuild isn’t over. While Aqualini the business man is pushing for sign Hughes and get both Hughes and Pettersson in the lineup. Linden probably didn’t like the limited voice he had in regards to ownership and the direction Aqualini is trying to take this team so he left.

How is bringing in 3 bottom six forwards akin to fast tracking? You would think Trevor would totally support the idea that there would be healthy competition for positions on this this team. Apart from the LE signing I don't see much evidence of fast tracking but rather stop gap measures to allow the next generation of Canucks the luxury of time to evolve into roster spots. Isn't this what they are attempting to do? Have either Trevor or Ownership indicated that they were at odds with this path? 

I agree with a lot of what VanGnome had to say.

We need to separate Linden: the Canucks player/hero who took the team to the SCF in the 90s, and Linden: the inexperienced executive who seemed to learn on the fly and was out of his element. 

I believe Linden was hired as a ploy to engage Canucks fans and entice us to support the team through the rebuild. Not for his great wisdom on how to run an NHL hockey team. Canucks fans can now see the finish line, we're excited with our prospects and the future, Linden's job is done.  

Archived