The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Current Ownership Failing this Team?

Dungass

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The media enjoys attacking ownership because it's like bullying Mennonites or other pacifists -- they know they won't fight back.  That being said, FA has been taking to Twitter of late, so maybe we'd see some push-back if they make some illicit or unwarranted accusations.

Media,s goal is to attract readers 

contoversy sells. 

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Why troubling?  I thought they were excellent, Beagle especially

They would be excellent if they were in their mid 20s.  

30s with long term is just kind of incompetent on the contract front.   30s with short term would have been way better.

id rather see Beagle than Gaudette for most of the games anyways....

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

They would be excellent if they were in their mid 20s.  

30s with long term is just kind of incompetent on the contract front.   30s with short term would have been way better.

id rather see Beagle than Gaudette for most of the games anyways....

They fit the timeline perfectly, imo.  I do think three years would have been perfect, but that's the price you have to pay to get sought after UFA's to come to a team in a rebuild.

The bottom line is, they needed to fill those roles and there's no young guys pushing for checking roles.  You're not going to throw Peterson, Dahlen or Gaudette into the waters with McD, Ovie, Benn etc etc.

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would the team move?  

Were you around in the 90s? Do you remember how this team isn't guaranteed forever in this city?

Fans can complain, non-fans troll from an anonymous seat & computer, but it's a reality that this team could move. 

But ...

This question is better suited for when the team is driven out of town. You know that old, cliche saying ... you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

As "stawns" the prolific and respected poster since I've been here, come on, man ... you should be able to read between the lines of what I'm saying instead of just lazily doing a drive-by on me with ... Why would the team move?  

25 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Were you around in the 90s? Do you remember how this team isn't guaranteed forever in this city?

Fans can complain, non-fans troll from an anonymous seat & computer, but it's a reality that this team could move. 

But ...

This question is better suited for when the team is driven out of town. You know that old, cliche saying ... you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

As "stawns" the prolific and respected poster since I've been here, come on, man ... you should be able to read between the lines of what I'm saying instead of just lazily doing a drive-by on me with ... Why would the team move?  

It was a genuine question, I'm interested in why you'd think that was a possibility.  

On 2018-07-27 at 10:13 AM, Type R said:

This is going to be a process (ala Gillis), its going to take some time, and there will be hurdles along the way but that said take a look around.

So if Gillis wanted to rebuild in 2012 ...and wasn't allowed, how is it his fault that the weren't prospects? 

If they had traded the sedins, edler, bieksa and Kesler they would have had 5 1st round picks and at least 3 top tier prospects. 

18 hours ago, stawns said:

You don't know that FA had a hand in personnel decisions to be even remotely true.

I do, actually. I know that he said no to MG wanting to blow up the team, I know he wanted JV drafted because he's a hometown kid, I know he wanted JV rushed on the team, and so much more. I know this because I know someone close to him who used to argue with him about all of the bad decisions he forced onto his management team. Thankfully he is now putting his trust into JB & co after being forced to admit that his management has been right all along. I hope it continues. My guess with Linden leaving is that FA might be up to his old tricks again, but we'll see. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

But ...

You realise that any team could possibly be moved, so there's no sense in whining over something that most likely won't happen... The team has been one of the bigger money makers for the NHL for over a decade, baring the last couple seasons. it's more likely that 80% of other teams would get moved before the Canucks....

On 7/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, VanGnome said:

The answer is no. This fanbase is failing this team.

What's with the love in here with Linden? Re-tool on the fly, not fair to Sedins etc. These were words uttered by Benning, but crafted by Linden. Linden set the direction and focus of player personnel decisions and hockey operations and Benning had to execute his plan.

If anything it was Linden abstaining from recognizing that this is now a young mans game, with speed and skill. Willie D was Linden's hiring, an old school real gud hockey guy who coveted veteran leadership.

Benning and Green are more aligned in the youth movement than Linden ever was. This is now Benning's show, and if his draft record thus far is any indication, I suspect we'll see a lot more good decisions being made than bad.

IMO Linden was the problem, not ownership, Benning or Green.

I've been mulling this topic for several days knowing it'd be posted in some form.  

I totally agree with you.   

I love Trevor Linden as much as any other fan. What the heck was Francesco thinking? For starters did he not see what happens when flakey ownership hires the wrong people, see Edmonton's management team. Ex- Stanley Cup becoming executives running billion dollar enterprises. How's that going. Making the playoffs once in just over a decade. when did the Edmonton brain thrust go get some business experience on running an NHL club. They didn't and it shows.

Now just because Linden has been successful in the fitness world and played in the NHL didn't arm him with the proper credentials to run the Canucks. Linden sure had the emotional credentials from the fans, including me to a level but that reality ended quickly.

JB might not be the best in front of the cameras but he's a hockey man who had stocked the cupboards like never before. 

People need to start accepting that in the end Linden was a figurehead that ownership realized started to lose its luster and could live without him. Don't think this was a knee jerk reaction on ownerships end.  They knew that fall out, weighed the fan response and pulled the trigger. This did not happen overnight. 

Every news conference held some contradiction between parties, with in the management group. Not ownership because ownership stays more or less quiet. 

I own my own business, it's mine to grow as I see fit because it's my risk. If I have an employee not participating in the same plan regardless of past achievements they are gone. People not on the same page effect a team in very subtle and undermining ways.

I wish Linden luck. 

Linden was never the right guy for this position and ownership admitted that by letting him go. 

55 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I do, actually. I know that he said no to MG wanting to blow up the team, I know he wanted JV drafted because he's a hometown kid, I know he wanted JV rushed on the team, and so much more. I know this because I know someone close to him who used to argue with him about all of the bad decisions he forced onto his management team. Thankfully he is now putting his trust into JB & co after being forced to admit that his management has been right all along. I hope it continues. My guess with Linden leaving is that FA might be up to his old tricks again, but we'll see. 

And you know this how?

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

And you know this how?

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I know this because I know someone close to him who used to argue with him about all of the bad decisions he forced onto his management team.

10 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

So if Gillis wanted to rebuild in 2012 ...and wasn't allowed, how is it his fault that the weren't prospects? 

If they had traded the sedins, edler, bieksa and Kesler they would have had 5 1st round picks and at least 3 top tier prospects. 

No, they wouldn't because Edler has a NTC he won't waive and the Sedin's had a NMC they would be unwilling to waive. 

Archived