The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tough Fire Happening In Richmond

-DLC-

I've been watching from my deck as planes are battling it from overhead.

It's in the forested area at the SE corner of Shell & Westminster...avoid the area (as it's shutdown in spots).  The military base is at the opposite corner (NW).  It's between the Garden City lands and the Nature Park.  I'm personally quite worried about the animals in the area.

A difficult fire to fight, as there are no paths and it's bog and peat...so it smoulders underground then flares up.  Good luck to the crews out there fighting this...and thank you.  YVR is diverting some traffic, although this plane got awfully close.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.  If you smoke or have a source of ignition in this heat wave...it takes but a second to put people in jeopardy.  It's irresponsible....I'm just thankful for those who do take on this job.

image.png

image.png

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Aren't you tired of dealing with the zoo here? :P

I'm a sucker for punishment.    :)

UPDATE:  Planes are not being diverted, despite reports earlier saying they were. 

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bet it's a zoo at that end....     The smoke is bothering me so I'm staying indoors today.  Hope they get it under control!!

I heard the news so avoided Westminster on the way home and took Granville but apparently so did everyone else... traffic is not too bad but the smell is horrible.

5 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Can smell it all the way here near Lougheed Mall.

Wow.....

I guess they'll stick around tonight in case there are flare ups.  Apparently there were tents in the area, although, I also don't trust that there isn't a plan to develop this.  Living in Richmond I have become SO jaded.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I heard it's a military base

It's on the same grounds, but at the opposite end of the property from the actual structure.  Just a wooded area (somewhere within the yellow rectangle).  The nature park is due East, so that's a bit of a concern.

image.png

1 hour ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Too bad the government is too stupid to still use these guys

05454290-6D5F-4947-B8A9-EA31CB24DD9D.png

The problem from the Mars from talking with a chopper pilot who fights fires, he said with the size of it very few bodies of water can have it take water from because of the size of it and as much as it dropped more volume, the smaller water bombers could get get an equivalent amount and were much easier to obtain water from smaller lakes, etc.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It's pretty smoky in Abby

Is that from this or is just just in general today?  Fairly smoggy all in Chilliwack all day today until later this afternoon when it broke up.

Archived