The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tough Fire Happening In Richmond

-DLC-

17 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

With all due respect and not to belittle....but, oh I’m going to get flamed here, (pun intended), but when I think of the word “battle”, a picture of two guys sitting down holding a hose  doesn’t come to mind.

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The Garden City lands are west of and slightly different than the DND land that the fire's on, but your measurement sounds much more accurate.

You’re absolutely right that the DND land is different from the Garden City Lands. When I woke up to choking smoke from the bog fire this morning, I decided to dig a bit further into it.

Here’s an excellent resource on the Lulu Island Bog: Lulu_Island_Bog_Report48892.pdf

The bog on the DND and RNP (Richmond Nature Park) lands is the last remaining remnant of a huge bog (actually two bogs that were split by a channel—The Greater Lulu Island Bog, where the current remnant exists, and the Lesser Lulu Island Bog which was to the northeast near Burnaby) that once covered around a third of the land area in Richmond.

According to one survey, the depth of the peat mat in the remaining bog ranges from 1-6m. Another cites a maximum depth of 22ft. And one even mentions a section where the peat mat goes down 50ft in a very small, localized area with a deep depression.

So quite a bit deeper on those properties (DND and RNP) than the 0.5-1m I reported from the GLC (Garden City Lands) survey. GCL would actually be on the margins of the bog, so it makes sense the peat depth there would be <1m, while on the DND section, it’s possible the peat goes down as far as 6m (or even more in small sections).

Kinda interesting to learn that the original bogs on Lulu Island covered 1/3 of Richmond and were around the same size as Burns Bog (although not as deep), but farming and development over the past century or so have reduced them down to just a small remnant on three properties along Westminster Hwy. 

Anyway, much as I’d love to geek out some more, the kids are now getting up and asking me why the whole house smells like smoke (the wind had been pretty kind to us until this morning).

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

With all due respect and not to belittle....but, oh I’m going to get flamed here, (pun intended), but when I think of the word “battle”, a picture of two guys sitting down holding a hose  doesn’t come to mind.

Thing is, there's no real access to the area, so this is a perimeter shot and as close to getting pictures as possible.  No paths, just forest and the road that they're entering from is shut down.  The team battling this have made their way into the property and, at last report, there were still 60 firefighters battling it.  There were several planes and a helicopter too so it's fairly significant, in that it's a very tricky fire to put out.

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You’re absolutely right that the DND land is different from the Garden City Lands. When I woke up to choking smoke from the bog fire this morning, I decided to dig a bit further into it.

Here’s an excellent resource on the Lulu Island Bog: Lulu_Island_Bog_Report48892.pdf

The bog on the DND and RNP (Richmond Nature Park) lands is the last remaining remnant of a huge bog (actually two bogs that were split by a channel—The Greater Lulu Island Bog, where the current remnant exists, and the Lesser Lulu Island Bog which was to the northeast near Burnaby) that once covered around a third of the land area in Richmond.

According to one survey, the depth of the peat mat in the remaining bog ranges from 1-6m. Another cites a maximum depth of 22ft. And one even mentions a section where the peat mat goes down 50ft in a very small, localized area with a deep depression.

So quite a bit deeper on those properties (DND and RNP) than the 0.5-1m I reported from the GLC (Garden City Lands) survey. GCL would actually be on the margins of the bog, so it makes sense the peat depth there would be <1m, while on the DND section, it’s possible the peat goes down as far as 6m (or even more in small sections).

Kinda interesting to learn that the original bogs on Lulu Island covered 1/3 of Richmond and were around the same size as Burns Bog (although not as deep), but farming and development over the past century or so have reduced them down to just a small remnant on three properties along Westminster Hwy. 

Anyway, much as I’d love to geek out some more, the kids are now getting up and asking me why the whole house smells like smoke (the wind had been pretty kind to us until this morning).

Haha, I'd geeked out and read this too. 

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

Those guys are on a break, can still aim a hose, but are resting at the same time. you use a loop of cloth, wrap it around the hose and it takes minimal energy to control and aim the nozzle end towards an area to do what is often referred to as boundary cooling.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, there's no real access to the area, so this is a perimeter shot and as close to getting pictures as possible.  No paths, just forest and the road that they're entering from is shut down.  The team battling this have made their way into the property and, at last report, there were still 60 firefighters battling it.  There were several planes and a helicopter too so it's fairly significant, in that it's a very tricky fire to put out.

Full respect to these guys....just found some humour relative to the title and pic.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

looks like a scene from John Carpenter's The Fog. Que spooky music.

That’s how my laneway looked this morning when I got up. Smoke so thick it really hurt my throat (and I’m not at all sensitive to smoke). Was actually getting worried about my kids for a bit there, but thankfully it cleared out 30-45 minutes later. Still reeks of smoke though (inside and outside), but not uncomfortable any more.

12 hours ago, riffraff said:

You must have missed the epic battles between Ohlund & Iginla.:P

Archived