The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes announces his return to Michigan

yippykyeh

It gives him a chance to gain size and strength properly, so I'm happy about that. Plus the world juniors just got more exciting. 

I'm also happy about Juolevi getting a better shot at making the team. It would be ideal if OJ established himself this year and then have Hughes come in the year after. 

With Quinn going back to college now Juolevi will be given lots of opportunity to make the big club if ready..

I can see Juolevi starting season in Utica and getting called up after 25 games.

Be exciting to watch Juolevi make the club this year. 

Briebois could also be close along with McEneny and Sautner...

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

With Quinn going back to college now Juolevi will be given lots of opportunity to make the big club if ready..

I can see Juolevi starting season in Utica and getting called up after 25 games.

Be exciting to watch Juolevi make the club this year. 

Briebois could also be close along with McEneny and Sautner...

plus now we don't have to fire sale one of Del Zotto or Hutton, not saying we'd get an exciting return but maybe something at the TDL like a mid-round pick vs. just moving a guy to Utica. 

I'm really excited about OJ though, if he can come in and play well, a left side of Edler (on a 1 year extension), OJ, Hughes and Sautner would be a good one to help Hughes get established as well. 

Absolutely the right choice.

His skating and offensive game perhaps may be ready.  But his defensive game needs a lot of refining.  He can easily skate himself out of trouble but in the NHL he won't be able to get away with it.  Needs to work on gap control and his body language in the defensive zone.

Looks like Trevor LInden won his case.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

plus now we don't have to fire sale one of Del Zotto or Hutton, not saying we'd get an exciting return but maybe something at the TDL like a mid-round pick vs. just moving a guy to Utica. 

I'm really excited about OJ though, if he can come in and play well, a left side of Edler (on a 1 year extension), OJ, Hughes and Sautner would be a good one to help Hughes get established as well. 

This is how smart teams rebuild. Panic does not allow the best decision making. Patience does.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

The list of defenseman who went right into the NHL after the draft is not a very impressive one. Only in very rare cases has a player shown they were ready to handle a significant role in the NHL. Doughty and Hedman off the top of my head. Dahlin I believe will have a similar impact. In most other cases its been a struggle. Hanifin and Chychrun went straight to the NHL when I could argue they would have been better served to go back to college/junior.

I think it has hurt Noah’s career.

I think he could have played in NHL this year and I think his is type of game that could have worked without stunting his development.  At the same time, respect his decision and it also gives CDC some nice troll bait for those insisting he will not sign with the Canucks - just because there are so few topics to troll around here :lol:

ironically i I have some time in the Michigan area this winter so looking forward to see how he has progressed since Copenhagen.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even if he pays his own way? Oh well. 

Regardless this is a good decision for the kid and the team.  Keep building that prospect pool. Maybe get to draft the brother. As long as we are not going to make the playoffs anyways lets keep the youngsters on ELC  as long as possible. If Quinn doesnt play until end of the year we save a year on that.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even if he pays his own way? Oh well. 

The youngstars tourney is still considered a professional game.

NCAA student-athletes are amateurs and cannot have played for a professional sports team prior to enrollment. In hockey, specifically, this means that anyone who signs a contract with or plays for a team in the Canadian Hockey League (OHL, QMJHL or WHL) forfeits their NCAA eligibility.

The NCAA Eligibility Center will certify each prospective student-athlete's amateur status prior to clearing them for competition at the Division I level.

What You Need to Do:

• Do not accept payment or gifts based upon your ability as a hockey player.
  • Do not sign a contract or play a game (even an exhibition game) for a professional team, including those in the CHL.
  • You may attend a camp with a professional team for up to 48 hours if they are covering expenses or longer if you cover all expenses.
  • Junior, prep or high school teams may cover some or all of your costs to play for them, as long as they are actual and necessary expenses.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/ncaa-eligibility.php

This is why we never saw Brock Boeser play in the tourney until last year after he had signed his deal with the Canucks, and why Gaudette hasn't appeared in them as well. 

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The youngstars tourney is still considered a professional game.

NCAA student-athletes are amateurs and cannot have played for a professional sports team prior to enrollment. In hockey, specifically, this means that anyone who signs a contract with or plays for a team in the Canadian Hockey League (OHL, QMJHL or WHL) forfeits their NCAA eligibility.

The NCAA Eligibility Center will certify each prospective student-athlete's amateur status prior to clearing them for competition at the Division I level.

What You Need to Do:

• Do not accept payment or gifts based upon your ability as a hockey player.
  • Do not sign a contract or play a game (even an exhibition game) for a professional team, including those in the CHL.
  • You may attend a camp with a professional team for up to 48 hours if they are covering expenses or longer if you cover all expenses.
  • Junior, prep or high school teams may cover some or all of your costs to play for them, as long as they are actual and necessary expenses.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/ncaa-eligibility.php

This is why we never saw Brock Boeser play in the tourney until last year after he had signed his deal with the Canucks, and why Gaudette hasn't appeared in them as well. 

Thanks dude. Snickers at all the behind the scenes deals that probably go on in the NCAA in Football, and other sports that go under the table. 

Putting on my conspiracy hat:

• Tank Nation:
    • "Quinn playing this year would have cost us his brother. Lose for Hughes part two."
    • "Hughes would have consumed a spot for a defensemen that we could showcase for a trade."
  • Linden conspiracists, "AQ wanted Hughes to play for the Canucks this year. In fact, the Canucks were already promoting Hughes in various promos to sell season tickets. Linden couldn't deliver."
  • Juolevi doubters: "Hughes beating him for a spot would have irreparably damaged his development."
  • Canucks' Chicken Little fans: "He will finish his college eligibility and not sign with the Canucks."
  • Fans of other teams: "Bust!"

Putting on my "put yourself in his shoes" shoes: "I'm sure it was a tough choice. Pros: (1) good way for him to spend more time with his family - especially his two brothers. (2) He gets a chance to win more of the college life and to win a NCAA championship. (3) gives his body more time to prepare for the rigours of the NHL as NCAA hockey focuses a lot more on building one's body than other leagues."

Archived