The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes announces his return to Michigan

yippykyeh

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

Getting my popcorn ready for Pratt's Rants, lmfao. Dude's gonna have a jammer live on the radio.

Not to mention Botchnerd, wasnt he pushing for Hughes in the lineup this year.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

NCAA.

Non-profit organization, that pays no taxes, and made over  $1 billion in revenue in 2017.

:lol:

Off the backs of stellar collegiate athletes, while restricting their ability to earn income from their efforts. Sounds as corrupt as FIFA. The NCAA will say "their education is their reward" which honestly doesn't mean much outside of personal accomplishment and acquisition of general knowledge to athletes who are destined to turn pro and earn huge salaries.

13 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Putting on my conspiracy hat:

• Tank Nation:
    • "Quinn playing this year would have cost us his brother. Lose for Hughes part two."
    • "Hughes would have consumed a spot for a defensemen that we could showcase for a trade."
  • Linden conspiracists, "AQ wanted Hughes to play for the Canucks this year. In fact, the Canucks were already promoting Hughes in various promos to sell season tickets. Linden couldn't deliver."
  • Juolevi doubters: "Hughes beating him for a spot would have irreparably damaged his development."
  • Canucks' Chicken Little fans: "He will finish his college eligibility and not sign with the Canucks."
  • Fans of other teams: "Bust!"

Putting on my "put yourself in his shoes" shoes: "I'm sure it was a tough choice. Pros: (1) good way for him to spend more time with his family - especially his two brothers. (2) He gets a chance to win more of the college life and to win a NCAA championship. (3) gives his body more time to prepare for the rigours of the NHL as NCAA hockey focuses a lot more on building one's body than other leagues."

Exactly. Look what going back to College for one year did for Boeser and Gaudette. Boeser won a National Championship and Gaudette won the Hobey Baker. We haven’t seen Gaudette translate his NCAA success to the NHL yet but I’m sure he’ll find his stride this year in Utica. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well University Education is one hell of a good freebee. 

Edited my post prior to your quote. Outside of personal accomplishment and general acquisition of knowledge, the educations they get pale in comparison to the many very good pro athletes to come out of the NCAA, especially in Football and in a lot of cases Baseball as well in addition to Hockey. Granted the overwhelming majority do not go on to play professionally or in any regard in such a way as to make significant impact and become stars.

The educations however serve those who cannot/do not in becoming fairly successful "normal folk".

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Exactly. Look what going back to College for one year did for Boeser and Gaudette. Boeser won a National Championship and Gaudette won the Hobey Baker. We haven’t seen Gaudette translate his NCAA success to the NHL yet but I’m sure he’ll find his stride this year in Utica. 

lol, he's played 5 games. This season is where we will see if he's translated to the NHL or not.

Just now, VanGnome said:

Edited my post prior to your quote. Outside of personal accomplishment and general acquisition of knowledge, the educations they get pale in comparison to the many very good pro athletes to come out of the NCAA, especially in Football and in a lot of cases Baseball as well in addition to Hockey. Granted the overwhelming majority do not go on to play professionally or in any regard in such a way as to make significant impact and become stars.

The educations however serve those who cannot/do not in becoming fairly successful "normal folk".

I totally get what you are saying, but yes the big picture is like "yikes".

Another year to try and pull some value out of the young left side log jam is going to be huge imo. You hear reports of a determined Hutton gunning for his job back and bringing in Hughes now would kill that. We really need to see how the Ben vs Derek vs Olli situation shakes out this year. We’ve spent a couple years building this depth and can’t throw it all away just to open our present on december 1st. Quinn is our crown jewel but there’s still 35 to 40 mins of hockey to be played every night without him on the ice. We’ve got to make sure when that next pairing comes over the boards, they can keep up the pressure Hughes just put on the other team. 

One more year to find out what we’ve really got and one more year to get our boy REALLY ready to the ground running, then it’s time for the Hughes show... hopefully by some miracle the double Hughes show.

Best move possible for both.

I'd rather let him stew and develop in the 'college minors' - it's hardly a cake walk for talent in that group either. His body isn't getting destroyed by fully built up 24-30 year olds on every play, causing injuries to continue popping up throughout his career.

And he can work on more facets of his game to boot. The NHL is a different beast, so I see zero harm in letting a guy like this fill out and grow mentally too.

58 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Dahlin?

I think petterson will win over dahlin. 

If they did a redraft, petterson would prob go second after Nico in his draft year. 

Add to that another year of development where he owned everything he touched. 

Dahlin, we won't know how he'd do in a redraft until we see him play this year. 

Archived