The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes announces his return to Michigan

yippykyeh

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

Considering how pathetic the D was at getting pucks on net, moving the puck up the ice, and defending in general, coming in with exactly the same group makes absolutely zero sense.  Where are the try outs?  Where are the EU players?  If the ONLY competition coming in, is Juolevi, where is the pressure to compete for a position going to come from?  This is why it is pathetic.  I was expecting a musical chairs scenario on D, like we did with our forwards for the coming 2 seasons.  The status quo = pathetic.  Like I said.

dont disagree with its pathetic but its been pathetic for three years now.

Edler is done

Tanev is always hurt

Guddy is always hurt

MDZ not that great

Stecher, young but cant defend against bigger players

Pouliot, pfft

Hutton struggling

Biega-AHL

Status Quo= high draft pick

You need some realistic players to create the competition. Right now there is only Juolevi

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

Considering how pathetic the D was at getting pucks on net, moving the puck up the ice, and defending in general, coming in with exactly the same group makes absolutely zero sense.  Where are the try outs?  Where are the EU players?  If the ONLY competition coming in, is Juolevi, where is the pressure to compete for a position going to come from?  This is why it is pathetic.  I was expecting a musical chairs scenario on D, like we did with our forwards for the coming 2 seasons.  The status quo = pathetic.  Like I said.

I agree with you that the D core isnt a strong point (to say the least).  I think that there will be a couple utica kids that will push for spots, also the acquisition of the so called 4th liners will help with puck possession and will take pressure off of the d (and hence they wont be as exposed).  Example: Beagle was one of the best face off men in the league.  He was saddled with d zone starts in washington because the coach trusted him. I can see the same playing out here, Beagle wins the draw, they get possession and they arent running around in their own zone.

To me the state of the d core shows that they are going through the process of building.  They certainly have the cash and assets to have gone after d men via trade route or UFA, but they are moving along methodically.  Hughes will develop properly and if OJ is ready there will be a spot for him.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The instant gratification side of me is disappointed but the rational side of me can’t find any fault in this. 

I guess I actually care about Michigan Hockey for a year now.

Don't forget about Rathbone, Madden and Lockwood. Lots of good NCAA stuff for us to follow this year. 

Happy to hear this news. Another year dominating there and maturing his frame a bit will help a ton.  Plus he'll get some World Jr experience leading there.  He can always sign after his collegiate season.  

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

This is for the best. We will seriously suck this year.

I don't think we will suck as much as us Jack Hughes fans want lol

Boeser will score 35-40 goals

Pettersson will get 70-80 pts if he plays on 1st line.

Horvat and Virtanen will take huge leaps.

Expect a bounce back year from Eriksson

Our defence will be better with Juolevi.

The only thing that may keep us at/near the very bottom of the standings is goaltending and/or injuries

Our D core will get stronger , Jim needs to add a center (High End) and another right handed D both can be got in the next draft. Trade Edler , Tanev and MD at the trade dead line .Its time to bring in some kids. Hutton needs to bring it this year or the pine it is . Hughes will benefit from college good choice made by all .I wanted him to play this year but next year is ok to.  

I'm happy the team and hughes decided to go this direction.  This gives the team the time it needs to sort out that blue line, possibly give Juolevi a look and ship out guys who aren't performing or don't fit long term.

Other side of the coin, is there a chance we lose him ala Jimmy Vesey?

Very unfortunate for the team this year on terms of having any hope for some success.

Good job JB on bringing in overpaid 4th liners and ignoring the defence!

Canucks have a terrible D core. They will be another bottom feeder this year guaranteed. There will be a lot of empty seats in that arena. 

Nevertheless, I understand the upside for this kid’s development in physically maturing some more.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

They sound like they're all in agreement with what's best for him, so that's fantastic.  After watching the recent two-part analysis of his game it's clear he does have defensive things to learn and fix up in his game before he becomes a full-time NHLer, so this will give him good opportunity to do so at a level where he's shown he can dominate already, not to mention playing in the WJC.  Hopefully we see some roster moves, certainly by the TDL, and are able to bring him in like we have Boeser and Gaudette the past two years. And for this Fall, looking forward to Juolevi putting on a serious push despite the setback with surgery, but at least showing that he is or is nearly ready to take a spot.

I am already looking forward to this years WJC. Hurry up Christmas!!

5 minutes ago, Type R said:

I'm happy the team and hughes decided to go this direction.  This gives the team the time it needs to sort out that blue line, possibly give Juolevi a look and ship out guys who aren't performing or don't fit long term.

Other side of the coin, is there a chance we lose him ala Jimmy Vesey?

According to Dave Pratt.....'What we know for sure is that Quinn Hughes is playing out his full college term and then signing with Boston !'..............a) Maybe the most paranoia thought of the day 2) Not even Dave Pratt would say that ! ( would he ? ).....so fake news/ sarcasm. :)

47 minutes ago, xereau said:

Hutton and Pouliot are both playing to stay and rebound after poor showings, and the left side log-jam has to be resolved somehow.  Presuming Edler stays, it'll be Del Zotto/ Hutton/ Pouliot/ Sautner/ Juolevi fighting for two spots on the left side, and Tanev - Guddy then Biega or one of the guys who can play on the right side taking over.  So that's 9 guys for six spots.  It's also only mid-July, why are you expecting try-outs already, and if the only UFA's under 30 still available are Sbisa and Brandon Davidson (according to https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/defenseman/available/), then who are you expecting to come in as a a savior?  We COULD sign Mike Green and Toby Enstrom (let's be real, no one's getting an offer sheet from us, we should save some picks) but what good would that do besides keep the kids from getting valuable experience?

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Putting on my conspiracy hat:

• Tank Nation:
    • "Quinn playing this year would have cost us his brother. Lose for Hughes part two."
    • "Hughes would have consumed a spot for a defensemen that we could showcase for a trade."
  • Linden conspiracists, "AQ wanted Hughes to play for the Canucks this year. In fact, the Canucks were already promoting Hughes in various promos to sell season tickets. Linden couldn't deliver."
  • Juolevi doubters: "Hughes beating him for a spot would have irreparably damaged his development."
  • Canucks' Chicken Little fans: "He will finish his college eligibility and not sign with the Canucks."
  • Fans of other teams: "Bust!"

Putting on my "put yourself in his shoes" shoes: "I'm sure it was a tough choice. Pros: (1) good way for him to spend more time with his family - especially his two brothers. (2) He gets a chance to win more of the college life and to win a NCAA championship. (3) gives his body more time to prepare for the rigours of the NHL as NCAA hockey focuses a lot more on building one's body than other leagues."

Totally agree...there are going to be lotsa chicken little's around here now until March when he signs lol.

Edit: I see it already started a few posts up lmao!! :mellow:

Not surprised by the decision but he might have been better off in the AHL and burn a year of his contract.  If his team is eliminated before the end of the Canucks season they’ll probably burn a year anyways.  I do appreciate him getting an education though.

Smart move, this season gonna be gross for this disorganization. 

It’ll be better for him to get a fresh start with our  new gm next summer anyways. Maybe the new gm  will actually “make room” when the say it and  Not just use it as a sales pitch.

remember the  “winning environment” lolololololollolololololol. 

Archived