The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gagner & Del Zotto

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

biggest point is, someone has to want them. they certainly are not world beaters. they might end up in utica. 

Chicago reportedly had interest in both. Would likely have to retain or take salary back as Chicago has very little cap space.

49 minutes ago, babalu said:

Chicago reportedly had interest in both. Would likely have to retain or take salary back as Chicago has very little cap space.

If we can get a second for two free assets signed for nothing but cash i would be content.

better than losing Gaunce, Leipsic and other youngsters that still have a chance to round out into Nhlers 

1 hour ago, babalu said:

If the Hawks did have any interest in Gagner, I'm quite sure it wasn't for a 2nd round pick.  

Plus, that interest probably subsided after they filled the role of "short, useless veteran" on the roster by signing Jordan Schroeder. 

The Hawks have over 5 million in cap space after moving Hossa and that's with 22 on the roster.  For the first time in a while, the Hawks actually have room to wiggle.  But Bowman said at the Hawks Convention this weekend to not expect any more moves.  (Also, Crawford is still not ready...yikes)

Gagme waivers - utica or buy out

mdz for  w.h.y.

both are have little to no trade value. 

Jimmy wont move them anyways he believes they are “foundational”. I fully expect to see both of them taking up roster space for this up coming season which is fine they’ll both help get jimmy canned next March  and with our odds of getting another top 5 pick. 

Sounds good, if there were any takers. At this point, I'd take a 4th for either one of them. MDZ I could see making the team, but Gagner will likely be a waiver loss. Someone will snag him for free; his salary isn't that bad (yes, he is overpaid, but there are a lot worse out there). It didn't cost us anything to get either one of them, except a year of overpayment; expecting a decent return after last year is a little much.

20 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

Sounds good, if there were any takers. At this point, I'd take a 4th for either one of them. MDZ I could see making the team, but Gagner will likely be a waiver loss. Someone will snag him for free; his salary isn't that bad (yes, he is overpaid, but there are a lot worse out there). It didn't cost us anything to get either one of them, except a year of overpayment; expecting a decent return after last year is a little much.

The proposal isn't so much about the return as about clearing some roster space. I do think they are both movable, especially if they retain salary. 

12 minutes ago, babalu said:

The proposal isn't so much about the return as about clearing some roster space. I do think they are both movable, especially if they retain salary. 

We already have retained salary for Luongo so if you retain salary for Gagne and Del Zotto we will be at max and handcuffed at the next trade deadline. Gagner has cleared waivers in the league before and, if he is unable to make the roster this year, you need to waive him for Utica and save the retained salary spot for when you really need it.

The time to trade MDZ will be at the trade deadline and, if necessary, retain salary at that time as his contract expires at the end of this season.

7 hours ago, babalu said:

Can't see why it would hurt to retain on one or both if it would help.

Teams can only retain on 3 contracts at a time. With the Luongo retention still going, it would be wise to save our retention slots for a more meaningful trade.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Gagme waivers - utica or buy out

mdz for  w.h.y.

both are have little to no trade value. 

Jimmy wont move them anyways he believes they are “foundational”. I fully expect to see both of them taking up roster space for this up coming season which is fine they’ll both help get jimmy canned next March  and with our odds of getting another top 5 pick. 

That's a great way to show free agents how appealing Vancouver is to play. Just buyout everybody.

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Teams can only retain on 3 contracts at a time. With the Luongo retention still going, it would be wise to save our retention slots for a more meaningful trade.

I didn't know that, very good rule as it prevents teams from retaining several contracts.. The NYR example were very bad for signing free agents to big salaries in the past..

9 hours ago, babalu said:

Gagner & Del Zotto (retained if needed)

To

Anywhere

2nd round pick

Clears a couple roster spots and opens up a spot for Juolevi

Addition by subtraction!

There we go, trying to get rid of depth again, before anyone has even earned a spot in camp.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Gagner & Del Zotto

Archived