[Proposal] Gagner & Del Zotto

9 hours ago, babalu said:

Gagner & Del Zotto (retained if needed)

To

Anywhere

2nd round pick

Clears a couple roster spots and opens up a spot for Juolevi

Addition by subtraction!

Considering how crappy the Leafs are defensively, I could see them being VERY interested in the upgrades that MDZ and Gagner would bring to their pathetic team.  

MDZ + Gagner for Leaf’s second and third 2019.  

Edit:  No, we are not going to help the Loser Leafs get better.  Cancel the idea.

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Here’s a weird thought, what if we have a really competitive camp, and then get rid of / waive, trade and assign, players who aren’t ready to make the team!

Good idea. Plus, many players become more easily traded once they have passed through waivers !

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

biggest point is, someone has to want them.

Why do you say this?    If another team that had an excess of players (and EVERY other team does) and were offering you their 5/6 Dman and a forward who may be outside their top 13 you would turn around offer up a Canuck 2nd round pick for either player?    If no, what makes you think another team would do same?

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

biggest point is, someone has to want them. they certainly are not world beaters. they might end up in utica. 

The problem with both players is neither is considered to be impactful in any way.

Del Zotto, actually, didn't have a bad season last year but, yet seemed relatively invisible. Even when he tried to be a bigger physical presence, it seemed no one took him seriously.

Gagner scored 50 points two seasons ago, yet no one but JB cared. Gagner is a support player. Without a solid core of players already in place, Gagner is a non-factor. Now that he's on a team building its core, his weaknesses are standing out more than his strengths. I doubt there'll be much of a market for him.

I see a better chance of them being dealt as part of a bigger transaction at the tdl (ie. Baertschi, Del Zotto, and Washington's 6th for  ?).

The example is just that; an example and is not meant to open a discussion.

40 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why do you say this?    If another team that had an excess of players (and EVERY other team does) and were offering you their 5/6 Dman and a forward who may be outside their top 13 you would turn around offer up a Canuck 2nd round pick for either player?    If no, what makes you think another team would do same?

i don't think other teams would. that is what i said. totrade them, you need someone to want those players. if they can be traded fine, but think gagner may be waved for uttica,  

del zotto has just this year and might be moved but i doubt they get a 2nd round pick. probably for another, like player or low pick. both players offer something, but when you stack them up again some other players, they don't shine too bright.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i don't think other teams would. that is what i said. totrade them, you need someone to want those players. if they can be traded fine, but think gagner may be waved for uttica,  

del zotto has just this year and might be moved but i doubt they get a 2nd round pick. probably for another, like player or low pick. both players offer something, but when you stack them up again some other players, they don't shine too bright.

You know green is going to have guys like Gagner and Del zotto in the lineup over Goldobin and Juolevi.

34 minutes ago, babalu said:

You know green is going to have guys like Gagner and Del zotto in the lineup over Goldobin and Juolevi.

Until a young prospect beats out the veteran, they shouldn’t be playing.  That’s competition.  Young players will earn their minutes, and replace the veterans.  

36 minutes ago, babalu said:

no, i don't know that. you must have an in with the coach. he doesn't tell me anything. i know he wants to win. he might be bound by what benning will or won't do. he will probably tell jim who should be here and then jim will attempt to make it happen. it might take a month. but he wants to win to. and ownership wants to win too.

for me, i'm not convinced that goldobin is an nhl player yet. who know where juolevi is in his career. we owe these guys the space to built this team the right way. cdc doesn't decide which players are ready for the nhl. smarter people than us get paid to make those decisions.

6 hours ago, Baer. said:

That's a great way to show free agents how appealing Vancouver is to play. Just buyout everybody.

I think jimmy already shown everyone how great his vancouver is. 

Vancouver hasn’t been appealing to many ufa  unless it involves top dollar, term and a ntc for a few years now.   

Players with no trade value get bought out. 

You want to watch gagme fall down and do nothing and mdz chase hits while hanging the goaltenders out or do you want to see Gaudette OJ petterson make the team and make it somewhat enterianing to watch and might even sell tickets. 

Other ufas won’t care if  we paying top dollar and if we start winning - gagme eriksdone mdz won’t be factors when this team starts winning no one will remember the buyout if an ineffective 3rd liner.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

for me, i'm not convinced that goldobin is an nhl player yet. who know where juolevi is in his career. we owe these guys the space to built this team the right way. cdc doesn't decide which players are ready for the nhl. smarter people than us get paid to make those decisions.

I am convinced he is. Would way rather have him than Gagner. Why even have a forum if you aren't going to voice your opinion. 

Yeah that’s way over valuing them right now. 

How about, don’t trade either of them right now. Trade Del Zotto at the deadline and try and trade gagner next offseason. These are the type of players that are easier to unload when they are about to expire

2 hours ago, babalu said:

How does he know that?   It is the opposite of what Green and Benning has said so some random person on an internet chat forum knows better than the coach and GM of the team?   IF players outplay other players, they will make the team.   I think the part you and some others are missing is the decision on who is "better" isn't one made by random people on the internet but by professional hockey people paid for their ability to evaluate that very "better" aspect of players.

1 hour ago, combover said:

I think jimmy already shown everyone how great his vancouver is. 

Vancouver hasn’t been appealing to many ufa  unless it involves top dollar, term and a ntc for a few years now.   

Players with no trade value get bought out. 

You want to watch gagme fall down and do nothing and mdz chase hits while hanging the goaltenders out or do you want to see Gaudette OJ petterson make the team and make it somewhat enterianing to watch and might even sell tickets. 

Other ufas won’t care if  we paying top dollar and if we start winning - gagme eriksdone mdz won’t be factors when this team starts winning no one will remember the buyout if an ineffective 3rd liner.

Was there free drinks at the beach and tractor pull?

47 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

you voiced your opinion, i voiced mine. 

Yeah but you act like I don't have a right to my opinion and that I somehow owe it to them to shut up and do what ever because they are smarter than me. ok bud.

32 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How does he know that?   It is the opposite of what Green and Benning has said so some random person on an internet chat forum knows better than the coach and GM of the team?   IF players outplay other players, they will make the team.   I think the part you and some others are missing is the decision on who is "better" isn't one made by random people on the internet but by professional hockey people paid for their ability to evaluate that very "better" aspect of players.

I never said it was my decision and I wasn't saying it to smithers joe. I was saying it in general not to anyone specifically.

21 minutes ago, babalu said:

I never said it was my decision and I wasn't saying it to smithers joe. I was saying it in general not to anyone specifically.

There is zero evidence this will happen and now that Linden is gone, who had promised the Sedins to keep it "competitive", all the more reason to trust in what Green and Benning are saying.    So, why would you suggest otherwise even generically?

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There is zero evidence this will happen and now that Linden is gone, who had promised the Sedins to keep it "competitive", all the more reason to trust in what Green and Benning are saying.    So, why would you suggest otherwise even generically?

From what I have seen Green seems to play the vets over the kids. I have a hard time believing that they are going to waive Gagner ever if Goldobin is better at camp.

Archived