The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Out of Province Speeding Ticket Dilemma

Heated Blue

Hey Guys, I ran into an interesting problem yesterday and am looking for advice on how to proceed.

I recently (two months ago) got a speeding ticket in Alberta when i pulled out to pass an RV.  I was speeding and don't dispute that.  But when i went online to pay it (as instructed on the ticket) it comes up as an invalid ticket number. The ticket says you have to wait at least 72 hours for it to appear online but i have gone well over that. Court date is for late October so i am well shy of that. 

Now the ticket i got is extremely messy and hard to read. Only my name and address is legible (it was a motorcycle cop writing on his hand on a windy day). No where on the ticket does it have my drivers license or license plate. The cop was also very young. My license and insurance are both from BC. 

I am wondering if the ticket never got entered or is invalid due to missing or illegible info. I have screen shots of the ticket number coming up as invalid with the dates shown in case i don't pay and end up having problems. 

Do I need to worry about paying it?

Also do BC drivers get demerits for tickets in Alberta?

Thanks to those who reply and sorry if I rambled a bit.

13 minutes ago, Heated Blue said:

Hey Guys, I ran into an interesting problem yesterday and am looking for advice on how to proceed.

I recently (two months ago) got a speeding ticket in Alberta when i pulled out to pass an RV.  I was speeding and don't dispute that.  But when i went online to pay it (as instructed on the ticket) it comes up as an invalid ticket number. The ticket says you have to wait at least 72 hours for it to appear online but i have gone well over that. Court date is for late October so i am well shy of that. 

Now the ticket i got is extremely messy and hard to read. Only my name and address is legible (it was a motorcycle cop writing on his hand on a windy day). No where on the ticket does it have my drivers license or license plate. The cop was also very young. My license and insurance are both from BC. 

I am wondering if the ticket never got entered or is invalid due to missing or illegible info. I have screen shots of the ticket number coming up as invalid with the dates shown in case i don't pay and end up having problems. 

Do I need to worry about paying it?

Also do BC drivers get demerits for tickets in Alberta?

Thanks to those who reply and sorry if I rambled a bit.

You don't get demerits from out of province tickets at all. Each province operates independently of each other. In the US, states share information and enforcement on tickets issued on highways, but not the case in Canada. If you get a speeding ticket in Manitoba or Alberta, BC won't enforce the decision whatsoever.

As well, without the licence plate and driver's licence number on the ticket, it's pretty much an invalid ticket. The police officer has literally no way of getting that information now that you're back home, and without that integral information there is no way to prove that you were even in a vehicle.

I've heard of people getting tickets in other provinces and waiting for seven years and the statute of limitations kicked in.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You don't get demerits from out of province tickets at all. Each province operates independently of each other. In the US, states share information and enforcement on tickets issued on highways, but not the case in Canada. If you get a speeding ticket in Manitoba or Alberta, BC won't enforce the decision whatsoever.

As well, without the licence plate and driver's licence number on the ticket, it's pretty much an invalid ticket. The police officer has literally no way of getting that information now that you're back home, and without that integral information there is no way to prove that you were even in a vehicle.

I've heard of people getting tickets in other provinces and waiting for seven years and the statute of limitations kicked in.

That's what I was thinking but strangely enough the ticket does not have a spot for the drivers license or license plate number.

My only concern is I travel to Alberta all the time for work and don't want to get burned.

Maybe the officer used the wrong form?

9 minutes ago, Heated Blue said:

That's what I was thinking but strangely enough the ticket does not have a spot for the drivers license or license plate number.

I'm at a loss as to how that could be a legitimate ticket then, if the only information linking you to the vehicle is missing from the ticket. It's a legally binding document that should contain that information to be considered valid, at least one would think so.

You were ticketed for speeding in your vehicle, yet they have zero proof that you were operating a vehicle as there is no licence plate or driver's licence on the ticket.

My only concern is I travel to Alberta all the time for work and don't want to get burned.

Maybe the officer used the wrong form?

Totally, and it's smart of you to get ahead of this. If the officer used the wrong form, it's on him, not you. I'd write in to the issuing jurisdiction/agency and state that you were ticketed wrongly, and that officer didn't fill out the ticket properly. I'd assume one of two things happens then:

• the ticket is waived due to officer error, or
  • the call taker may ask you for the missing information, to which you're not legally obliged to give them.

Your call. Good luck.

I am having this same problem with a trespassing on a railway ticket I got at the beach.  Went to pay it and said it was invalid, so I disputed it and missed my court appearance.  Renewed my insurance last week, was told I wouldn't be able to do that if I had any outstanding tickets. 

31 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am having this same problem with a trespassing on a railway ticket I got at the beach.  Went to pay it and said it was invalid, so I disputed it and missed my court appearance.  Renewed my insurance last week, was told I wouldn't be able to do that if I had any outstanding tickets. 

You were ticketed for being on a railway line? In White Rock? Wow.

Be honest now. Were you wearing a stovepipe hat and sporting a curly mustache whilst tying a damsel in distress to the tracks, all the while snickering sinisterly?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You were ticketed for being on a railway line? In White Rock? Wow.

Be honest now. Were you wearing a stovepipe hat and sporting a curly mustache whilst tying a damsel in distress to the tracks, all the while snickering sinisterly?

Ha, I knew that damsel was being too loud.

I've received the prestigious trifecta in White Rock:

1. Bylaw ticket for having my stereo too loud at the beach $100(1997, friends and I all chipped in and paid it)
  2. Being in a Park after Dark - $50 (2001 - Disputed and thrown out)
  3. Trespassing on a railway - $110 (2017 - ?????, haven't paid it yet)

I am a gangsta trying to survive in a town of thugs

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

1. Bylaw ticket for having my stereo too loud at the beach $100(1997, friends and I all chipped in and paid it)

Whatever happened to getting off with a warning? Jebus Christmas!

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Being in a Park after Dark - $50 (2001 - Disputed and thrown out)

2 hours ago, trek said:

Dang $50 for being in a park after dark? Such a rebel you are!

If you can't be in the park after dark can you get a reduction in your taxes? Seems we pay full rates but are getting part time services.

Sort of right. If you get a criminal code infraction it can show up on your BC record. 

But a regular ticket no. But you don't want it to go to collections either. 

From Service Alberta.

If you’ve lost a ticket, paid the wrong ticket or paid a ticket twice, contact:

Resolution and Court Administration Services
1-855-738-4747
8:15 am to 4:30 pm
Open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays

To fight a violation ticket for an offence notice or a summons or to seek a reduction in its fine, follow the instructions on the ticket.

Alberta Motor Association (Like BCAA) also has registry offices that take payments.

Maybe call one of the Registry offices, they might be able to help.

https://ama.ab.ca/centre-locations-hours

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Haha me and friends almost got one of those in a park after dark tickets once when we were at Cultus late at night.

I got a ticket at 16 in Manitoba...never paid it.  Got a letter saying they have issued a bench warrant for me. I sent back a letter that said 'Manitoba sucks and I am never coming back.'  

Never had issues as Manitoba does suck and I am never going back.  Have a big road trip on the motorbike planned for next year but we're not planning on going through Sask or Manitoba. ;) 

a couple of comments

if you have a court date set.. the ticket is likely valid

but maybe you are referring to your belief that there automatically could be a court date set

most important comment is

if you got a ticket

there will be a follow up letter to you

notifying and confirming about the ticket

and a demand for payment

that happens relatively quickly if you have not disputed a ticket

in my experience anyway

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I got a ticket at 16 in Manitoba...never paid it.  Got a letter saying they have issued a bench warrant for me. I sent back a letter that said 'Manitoba sucks and I am never coming back.'  

Never had issues as Manitoba does suck and I am never going back.  Have a big road trip on the motorbike planned for next year but we're not planning on going through Sask or Manitoba. ;) 

Cheaper and better to go through the lower 48.

Archived