The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Winners and Hughes-ers

saw234

Let me know if this isn't ok, but I just wanted to share this article with you guys about Hughes' decision to go back to Michigan. Enjoy! 

https://wp.me/p9rAxf-C

It has been widely covered of late that 2018 1st round (7th Overall) pick, Quinn Hughes, has elected to return to the University of Michigan for the upcoming season. A move that has been lauded as wise and fear inspiring depending on whether your fandom includes optimism towards the bright future the Canucks have been cultivating or if it includes the sky constantly falling upon Vancouver. In either case, one must appreciate that this is a fantastic move for multiple in the organization, including the organization itself. Today, we cover who wins.

Winners:

Quinn Hughes. As much as he wants to be in the NHL and dress for the Canucks. He wants to make an impact when he does. Elite talents like Hughes don’t just focus on making the NHL. They know that will happen. They focus on leaving impacts and legacies. This is great news as a Canucks fan. He will get the opportunity to play for Team USA in the WJC and play to win a NCAA title and potentially a Hobey Baker Award. He will be arguably the best player in NCAA next year. This will give him more time to develop both on ice and in the gym.

Canucks. Of course they wanted him to play this season with them. He can skate at an NHL level and has the skillset to go along with it. They win long-term though. They will get a more mature and NHL ready player in a year, or possibly even for the end of the season like Boeser and Gaudette before him, depending on how his season goes.

Francesco Aquilini and Jim Benning. The salivating that has occured over prospects like Elias Pettersson have been unlike any since Henrik and Daniel Sedin. Fans have been teased and stoked to finally watch Pettersson dazzle in Canucks colours like he had all last season in Sweden. Aquilini and Benning get to do the same now with Hughes. Except in this case, they can have a fanbase that watches him a little more with showcases in Vancouver and Victoria for the WJC. Get your napkins ready.

Fans. Yes, the fans win too. The anticipation of knowing a great player is coming, builds excitement among a fanbase and it allows Quinn to be more prepared to meet those expectations. Fans have been enjoying the developments of Horvat, Boeser and soon Pettersson and others. Don’t fret, enjoy the ride. Rewards will follow.

Olli Juolevi. With all of the Canucks defensemen returning (thus far) from last season, it gives Juolevi a better opportunity to crack the full time lineup without a talent like Hughes leapfrogging him for the position. Now he just needs to outplay one of the returning members of a subpar 2017/18 Canucks d-core.

-Sean Warren

It’s interesting, but it’s all opinion and supposition.  There are no direct quotes to support the opinions.  For example, the author states the Canucks wanted Hughes to play on their team this season.  There is zero evidence to support this statement.  Hughes is clearly a great player, who will be a super star this season, where ever he plays.  In my opinion (which is of equal value to this author) Hughes will soon prove he’s BY FAR the best player in his draft, and the second coming of Bobby Orr.

#DahlinwillbustRoo. 

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s interesting, but it’s all opinion and supposition.  There are no direct quotes to support the opinions.  For example, the author states the Canucks wanted Hughes to play on their team this season.  There is zero evidence to support this statement.  Hughes is clearly a great player, who will be a super star this season, where ever he plays.  In my opinion (which is of equal value to this author) Hughes will soon prove he’s BY FAR the best player in his draft, and the second coming of Bobby Orr.

#DahlinwillbustRoo. 

I think you're getting a little carried away there Homer.

He's not quite the next Bobby Orr.

But he is the next Brian Leetch!  :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

#DahlinwillbustRoo. 

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I was basing it off of Benning's multiple interviews where he stated that he felt Hughes was NHL ready and wanted to sign him. I could've quoted that, however. And as far as opinion and supposition, that's pretty much journalism in sports, especially in the off season. 

For the future, I won't post here anymore. I've been a longtime member here and now that I'm endeavoring to write Canucks content and add some optimistic viewpoints to the market, I wanted to share it with you folks. 

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, saw234 said:

Thank you for your constructive criticism. I was basing it off of Benning's multiple interviews where he stated that he felt Hughes was NHL ready and wanted to sign him. I could've quoted that, however. And as far as opinion and supposition, that's pretty much journalism in sports, especially in the off season. 

For the future, I won't post here anymore. I've been a longtime member here and now that I'm endeavoring to write Canucks content and add some optimistic viewpoints to the market, I wanted to share it with you folks. 

Thanks! 

Why not just post your opinion in the Hughes’ thread as a post?  

4 minutes ago, saw234 said:

Thanks! 

It's all good to post here, but you have to include the body of the article in your post, not just the link. It's against board rules to use cdc's audience to get views/clicks for your own website. But if you make the article readable here, and provide the link for anyone who feels incline to check out the rest of your page and support you, I *think that's fine.

Thank you, I will do that for the future 

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

It's all good to post here, but you have to include the body of the article in your post, not just the link. It's against board rules to use cdc's audience to get views/clicks for your own website. But if you make the article readable here, and provide the link for anyone who feels incline to check out the rest of your page and support you, I *think that's fine.

I appreciate the article link, but.... why is everyone skating around the fact that a 5'10" 170lb "D" is gonna get crushed in this NHL league. I would expect that he concentrates on getting bigger/faster this year back in the NCAA. At 185 or 190 lbs he would survive much longer in his rookie year, maybe 60 Odd games, before injury gets him.

Lets face it, these kids coming into the league at 18/19 do get injured... the game is faster/heavier than what they are used to and.... longer season.

Let the kid mature physically before the punishment.....

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think you're getting a little carried away there Homer.

He's not quite the next Bobby Orr.

But he is the next Brian Leetch!  :ph34r:

I can deal with that...didn't Leetch lead playoff scoring in 94?

Just now, Alflives said:

Exactly.  

Great, thanks. I'm sure many people wanting to do something that they care about take advice from people like you. 

26 minutes ago, Puckster said:

I appreciate the article link, but.... why is everyone skating around the fact that a 5'10" 170lb "D" is gonna get crushed in this NHL league. I would expect that he concentrates on getting bigger/faster this year back in the NCAA. At 185 or 190 lbs he would survive much longer in his rookie year, maybe 60 Odd games, before injury gets him.

Lets face it, these kids coming into the league at 18/19 do get injured... the game is faster/heavier than what they are used to and.... longer season.

Let the kid mature physically before the punishment.....

Oh absolutely. In the article, I touched briefly on the fact that he will benefit from going back to Michigan both on the ice and in the gym. He's small and although size will never be an aspect of his game, he does need a bit more to ensure that he can play at the NHL level safely. Ryan Johnson was quoted as saying the they want players to develop and grow physically naturally. Not being rushed or focusing on gaining weight but rather let them mature to size so that their game isn't affected.

https://puckingaroundwithseanwarren.wordpress.com/2018/07/31/winners-and-hughesers/

Winners and Hughes’ers

It has been widely covered of late that 2018 1st round (7th Overall) pick, Quinn Hughes, has elected to return to the University of Michigan for the upcoming season. A move that has been lauded as wise and fear inspiring depending on whether your fandom includes optimism towards the bright future the Canucks have been cultivating or if it includes the sky constantly falling upon Vancouver. In either case, one must appreciate that this is a fantastic move for multiple in the organization, including the organization itself. Today, we cover who wins.

Winners:

Quinn Hughes. As much as he wants to be in the NHL and dress for the Canucks. He wants to make an impact when he does. Elite talents like Hughes don’t just focus on making the NHL. They know that will happen. They focus on leaving impacts and legacies. This is great news as a Canucks fan. He will get the opportunity to play for Team USA in the WJC and play to win a NCAA title and potentially a Hobey Baker Award. He will be arguably the best player in NCAA next year. This will give him more time to develop both on ice and in the gym.

Canucks. Of course they wanted him to play this season with them. He can skate at an NHL level and has the skillset to go along with it. They win long-term though. They will get a more mature and NHL ready player in a year, or possibly even for the end of the season like Boeser and Gaudette before him, depending on how his season goes.

Francesco Aquilini and Jim Benning. The salivating that has occured over prospects like Elias Pettersson have been unlike any since Henrik and Daniel Sedin. Fans have been teased and stoked to finally watch Pettersson dazzle in Canucks colours like he had all last season in Sweden. Aquilini and Benning get to do the same now with Hughes. Except in this case, they can have a fanbase that watches him a little more with showcases in Vancouver and Victoria for the WJC. Get your napkins ready.

Fans. Yes, the fans win too. The anticipation of knowing a great player is coming, builds excitement among a fanbase and it allows Quinn to be more prepared to meet those expectations. Fans have been enjoying the developments of Horvat, Boeser and soon Pettersson and others. Don’t fret, enjoy the ride. Rewards will follow.

Olli Juolevi. With all of the Canucks defensemen returning (thus far) from last season, it gives Juolevi a better opportunity to crack the full time lineup without a talent like Hughes leapfrogging him for the position. Now he just needs to outplay one of the returning members of a subpar 2017/18 Canucks d-core.

-Sean Warren

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

#DahlinwillbustRoo. 

That's a huge thing to say, considering some were coining the overused "generational talent" moniker for Dahlin.  

Regardless, I'm SUPER excited to have Hughes on our team, and have zero issues with him returning to college for one more year.  He will get valuable experience quarterbacking them and while not at the same level as the NHL, he can play maximum minutes without being sheltered there.  If this is what he and his family felt was best for his development I'm behind it.

Archived