The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What top end players could you see being moved next year?

I'm curious which top end teams you think will bottom out and therefore start looking at selling their top end assets? 

We all know Karlsson is going to get dealt at some point. But im talking the ones you wouldn't expect. 

I for one think Jamie Benn, Kessel will become available next offseason and possibly Kane or Toews. 

I am of the opinion that we will have some moments of brilliance, but ultimately run in to injury problems again and finish in the bottom 5. If we land another top 5 pick. We should consider being aggresive in adding a Superstar to this group. Benn or Toews would be perfect for the type of team were building. 

What's your opinion? 

38 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I'm curious which top end teams you think will bottom out and therefore start looking at selling their top end assets? 

We all know Karlsson is going to get dealt at some point. But im talking the ones you wouldn't expect. 

I for one think Jamie Benn, Kessel will become available next offseason and possibly Kane or Toews. 

I am of the opinion that we will have some moments of brilliance, but ultimately run in to injury problems again and finish in the bottom 5. If we land another top 5 pick. We should consider being aggresive in adding a Superstar to this group. Benn or Toews would be perfect for the type of team were building. 

What's your opinion? 

Hard pass on Toews. 10.5M AAV for 60 points? No thanks. He might get back to 70 points again but he's not worth that sort of money.

1 minute ago, Jaku said:

Hard pass on Toews. 10.5M AAV for 60 points? No thanks. He might get back to 70 points again but he's not worth that sort of money.

Toews is an interesting case. Yes he has a huge cap hit but he’s almost the perfect 1C for us. We might not give up what we’d normally have to since we’d be saving Chicago a ton of cap space. Next summer will be really intriguing. 

40 minutes ago, Pears said:

Toews is an interesting case. Yes he has a huge cap hit but he’s almost the perfect 1C for us. We might not give up what we’d normally have to since we’d be saving Chicago a ton of cap space. Next summer will be really intriguing. 

Hard no!

48 minutes ago, Pears said:

but he is worth his contract to chicago

he is very marketable there

he is their captain and has won cups

so no . there will not be any discount from the hawks for him

and it would gut our young talent pool to get him

so i agree with the others

hard pass on any so called "superstar"

we are gonna have to be patient and develop our own

Toews is interesting. I doubt he gets moved.  Honestly, I think he means more to chi town than Kane, and one my receive more interest, less drop off than toews. What about sequin? any way nothing gets done with his contract and he leaves Dallas? I think the dollars in Dallas without tax are a big lure but they can't put it together.

4 hours ago, Jaku said:

While Toews has taken quite a step back and definitely not worth his cap hit.....he does bring a wee bit more than just "60 points" to an organization. 

Only looking at Toews' points would be the equivalent of saying Bo Horvat is only worth the points he scores as well.  But there is WAY more than points to both their games.

Toews still isn't worth the cap though.

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Karlsson, RNH, Pacioretty, Simmonds, Panarin, Crawford

As a Hawks fan, I'd be happy just to have Crawford back, let alone traded.  He still isn't able to skate yet and probably won't be ready for camp.  Whatever is wrong with him (and the Hawks still aren't saying), it's still not going away 8 months later.  

5 hours ago, Jaku said:

More like 50 points. Man, does that deal look horrible. He's tied for third in caphit in the entire league. 

8 hours ago, KKnight said:

What's your opinion? 

Brandon Sutter

Del Zotto

Gagner

Gudbranson

9 hours ago, Pears said:

He is not a perfect 1 line center , the canucks have Horvat for now . What we need is a second line center of the same caliber as Horvat . Bjugstad comes to mind from Florida.

Timing wise next year seems good for adding a high end player.  The balance of our prospect pool is looking much better.  

Still feel like we need a good centre and right sided D and one of those may come in the draft, the other could come in FA.

Problem is a lot of UFAs added over the last couple years that are eating a lot of cap for the next several years and Brock will likely be looking at a very big deal next year.  Hopefully EP and the Hughes brothers are some large cap hits we need to be prepared for as well.

Maybe we will move out some players for pics this year and things will open up.  Will be curious to see if the plan to rebuild while trading away pics was more of a TL thing or JB thing. 

Would be thrilled to see any combination of Gudbranson, Sutter, Gagne, MDZ, Erikksson moved or even some of the younger vets like Granlund, Baerschi, Hutton or Gaunce moved if value can be recovered.  I suspect few of the guys listed have a lot of value in a trade, after all if you are a borderline player on one of the worst teams in the league how much value do you really expect.  

Toews is worth $10.5M to Chicago.  He was underpaid on previous contract.  Kind of a larger scale of what we did with Burrows last contract.  I don't think he is worth it to any other club unless Chicago eats a bad contract or picks up $2M of contract which is not going to happen.  I have a feeling Chicago will get stuck in a Sedin situation where they want to honour their stars but can't really rebuild fully because of that.  They already did a brilliant job of rebuilding around Kane and Toews once but the second time seems to have escaped them, trading Panarin was a terrible mistake.  Who knows though, what they have done on and off the ice over the last 10 years blows everything we did away so maybe they will manage the "retool" like we couldn't. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] What top end players could you see being moved next year?

Archived