The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin says "why not" for a return to Canucks for the 2020-21

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Do you want Nikita Tryamkin back?  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Really don't think it was bad as you make it sound. IMHO Willie was not that bad a coach. You can view Tryamkin's TOI in a lot of different ways. Desjardin was know more for sheltering his young players than for picking favorites. Tryamkin came to camp overwieght and likely loss some cred doing so. The Marchand TKO theme is over worked. My take was that Desjardin was looking for a more consistent physical game not necessarily fisticuffs. A player like Tryamkin has the potential to dominate a game physically just by finishing his checks and playing tough in front of the net. 

By the end of the season I thought Tryamkin was getting top 4 TOI and was actually moving he puck up ice quite nicely. IMHO his rookie season was solid and he finished the year playing a steadily improving game. My only caveat would be that he did not get any PP time and considering the season was toast, he could have. For whatever reason Tryamkin went back to Russia it was all his reasoning not the coaching. I fully expected him to challenge for a top 4 role the following fall.     

Nice one, Bouds.  Most reasonable post regarding Tryamkin that I've read so far.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Really don't think it was bad as you make it sound. IMHO Willie was not that bad a coach. You can view Tryamkin's TOI in a lot of different ways. Desjardin was know more for sheltering his young players than for picking favorites. Tryamkin came to camp overwieght and likely loss some cred doing so. The Marchand TKO theme is over worked. My take was that Desjardin was looking for a more consistent physical game not necessarily fisticuffs. A player like Tryamkin has the potential to dominate a game physically just by finishing his checks and playing tough in front of the net. 

By the end of the season I thought Tryamkin was getting top 4 TOI and was actually moving he puck up ice quite nicely. IMHO his rookie season was solid and he finished the year playing a steadily improving game. My only caveat would be that he did not get any PP time and considering the season was toast, he could have. For whatever reason Tryamkin went back to Russia it was all his reasoning not the coaching. I fully expected him to challenge for a top 4 role the following fall.     

That's a fair point. However, if the season is lost I see no reason not to give the younger players more ice time in general. I can't think of a better opportunity to give younger players to learn and make mistakes. Even the fans would still be more entertained by at least watching the new generation of players playing. 

19 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Who played better that preseason to win a spot? Perspective is important.

You tell me i am going into battle  / war.

I can choose Stetcher or Tryamkin to go with me.

I choose Tryamkin every single time.....  Perspective is important. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You tell me i am going into battle  / war.

I can choose Stetcher or Tryamkin to go with me.

I choose Tryamkin every single time.....  Perspective is important. 

Not the question. Who earned a spot out of camp/preseason? Chubby Tryamkin weezing his way to the bench or sparkplug Stecher? Had it not been for his clause Tryamkin would have been sent to Utica to get in shape as would have happened to any other player in his position.

Even when an injury quickly occured who played? Stecher was recalled and put in. You need no further evidence than that as to who should have been sent to Utica at the start of that season. I'm talking a specific point in time, not long term. There's the persective you're completely missing. Or perhaps it's actually just completely ignoring.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Not the question. Who earned a spot out of camp/preseason? Chubby Tryamkin weezing his way to the bench or sparkplug Stecher?

Wow you really bought the narrative hook line and sinker....

Chubby Tryamkin gassed at 12 mins of ice time..  Dream on. 

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow you really bought the narrative hook line and sinker....

Chubby Tryamkin gassed at 12 mins of ice time..  Dream on. 

Well you did seem to be completely missing the point of the conversation: who should have made the roster and who should have been sent to Utica at that time.

Even when he made it into the line up he reminded me of Sundin when he was finally inserted. He looked just like Sundin heading to the bench after a shift: gassed. That improved as the season went on for both. But that's what happens when you don't put in the off-season work. It's far harder to get into shape than out of shape.

On 2018-08-07 at 4:51 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Desjardins wasn't a horrible coach at all, but he did make some very questionable decisions and did share too much with reporters in this city who he had no reason sharing info with. He had the roster he had, and I don't fault him for icing it to the best of his ability. 

Time will tell hope his legacy is cemented in hockey, but seeing as how there have been quite a few head coach vacancies at the NHL level, and he's not been considered for any of them, he might just not be head coach material in this league. 

To add..  https://nationalpost.com/sports/olympics/canadian-coach-desjardins-leaves-himself-open-for-second-guess

Archived