The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jeff Skinner to BUF

4 hours ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

because buffalo is trash with terrible managment.   i cant wait for dahlin to hit FA after his ELC runs out lol

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The GM is new.  He's only been on the job for 1 year.  What has he done to be trash?

I think you've been misguided by the Sabres' recent failures. Quick 5 minute google search will show you that since Miller's departure they haven't been a great team since then. Coupled with the fact that Regier was fired during that same season they traded Miller and it'll show you that to be a good team, you need great goaltending. Not saying that Regier was a bad GM, but the moves that Murray and now Botterill have made in the past 5 years have not only put the Sabres in a good position but are definitely not what you would consider "terrible management". The failures of the Sabres are more or less of the on-ice product from poor coaching to abysmal goaltending. Sabres are definitely going to turn it around fast with Botterill now at the helm. His picks have been looking great with Middelstadt, Luukkonen, and now Dahlin. Don't forget about Nylander, Asplund, Ristolainen, Guhle, Estephan, Eichel and Reinhart. 

As @SabreFan1 mentioned earlier, it all rests on Luukkonen to see if he pans out to be what the Sabres hope. If he does, watch out. Otherwise, I'd think the Sabres might be interested in a prospect of ours ;) Say DiPietro if Demko becomes that elite goalie we have?

No idea wtf Carolina is doing... They are upgrading their team and blowing it up at the same time. Upgraded with Hamilton and then downgraded by trading away Skinner for an average return. I guess the Semin flop hurt their confidence a lot. This indirection and indecisiveness is gonna hurt them. And they still haven't solved their goalie problem right? 

5 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Buffalo with get Hughes in 2019.

when u pick first overall you get franchise players and then unless you are Edmonton, you win cups

If the Sabres end up in the bottom 5, that's a possibility.  Short of their new goaltending having a horrible year, I have a difficult time seeing that happening though.  Also, in the cap era you can't have a team filled with first liners so if they picked up Hughes, at some point they would have to lose Eichel, Mittelstadt, or Dahlin.  If I were the Sabres and I won next year's lottery, I'd trade the 1st overall for a king's ransom in players and picks.

8 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

We traded a pick in the Baertschi pick and that was a good trade.

We gave up a pick in the Vey trade and that was a bad trade.

Because of VALUE, which I specifically said the issue was not about, for the THIRD TIME now.

The issue is that it's a certain segment of fans and most of the media who are COMPLETELY against the concept of trading picks for "older" players, i.e. players that are already developed/developing, regardless of value, because it opposes their "#properrebuild" model that they believe is the only right way to do it.

43 minutes ago, b3. said:

From bad team to worse team.

I think the Sabres will be much improved this year. They've added Dahlin, Skinner, Middlestat, and Hutton at the top of the roster, and significantly improved roster their depth (Berglund, Sobotka, Sheary, Hunwick, Thompson). I expect them to finish ahead of Carolina.

13 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

What is with this perception with a few on CDC that he ever fell off track?  He's had 3 30+ goal seasons and another 3 20+ goal seasons.  He's only had one bad year out of 8 and that was in 2014-15.  Two seasons ago he nearly had 40 goals.

Right, what a steal for Buffalo.  Shocked they couldn’t get more for him

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They're getting hammered mostly because they could have gotten more for him at the TDL.  The new owner in Carolina is just interested in shedding his salary.  If the Sabres can't re-sign him then they will end up in a poorer position trade-wise, but if they do sign him to a contract then Carolina will be the only loser in the trade rather than both teams.

well i think sabres are very well positioned actually

they have 6 months to sigh him

if not, his stats will likely be better this season

and they;ll recoup their investment

at the tdl

their only risk/cost is his salary this year

but he is worth that cost

so really . a no brainer for the sabres

28 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Buffalo was on dude’s short list?

one of the worst cities in the world and one of the worst teams???

is there a family connection we are missing ??

It's a lot closer to home and the team looks like it's going in the right direction. 

Also in most "bad" cities, being exceptionally rich tends to make them better. Detroit is a craphole, but rich Detroit is not.

Just now, mephnick said:

It's a lot closer to home and the team looks like it's going in the right direction. 

Also in most "bad" cities, being exceptionally rich tends to make them better. Detroit is a craphole, but rich Detroit is not.

Word!

rich buffalo tho???

at least it’s closish to torontoto Toronto

I think Buffalo take a step forward this season, bubble playoff team or maybe down to ~20th place. 

Next season they free up a lot of salary with Pominville and Moulson coming off the books. Should give them plenty of room to keep Skinner. My only real concern is their goaltending. I know they have high hopes for Luukkonen, but he's probably two or three years away from being a starter?

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Buffalo was on dude’s short list?

one of the worst cities in the world and one of the worst teams???

is there a family connection we are missing ??

Buffalo has a very passionate fanbase. Their passion for hockey is comparable to almost any Canadian city so as a player, I think playing for a fanbase that cares would really help his choice of destination.

Not surprised by this return.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:11 PM, oldnews said:

I think that market is going to get a disappointing wake up call if/when they manage to move Skinner.

The hype around him has been laughable.

I saw a source peddling a proposal of Skinner and the 42nd pick to Vancouver for the 7th overall and Goldobin. 

That is sheer delusional.

And I think the story that he's nixed mulitpile deals is equally laughable.

Good job of Leafs-esque attempts to oversell your assets through your media wings, but getting the hopes of Canes up, believing they're getting a bluechip + 1st type return - I'll believe that when I see it.

I wouldn't swap him one for one for a handful of the UFA forwards entering the market.  Do they really think they're going to sell him prior to free agency for that kind of return.

I must be missing something.

I don't think the value achieved by Carolina is horrible.

Skinner is a star. Sort of? Not at the top level. A weapon sure. He adds some agility that is hard to guard, a lot of speed & can bury the biscuit. But he's not magnificent with the puck, a play driver, or play maker who makes everyone better. He also had only one year left on his contract. Carolina was not going to win in that time frame. His NMC / NTC, whatever it was, could play serious havoc, derail a deal at the deadline. His return was significantly better than the Islanders achieved on Tavares. I don't think it was a bad decision!

Think of the return like this? Pu is a guy who will probably make the NHL. Potentially a Gaunce who can also score at least a bit. A 2knd could be a Demko or Jett Woo. The 3rd a Tryamkin. The 6th Gaudette…  I know I am cherry picking. But its a quantity versus quality deal. They got a fair number of assets. Now its up to Carolina to massage value...

@Rob_Zepp, what's your thoughts? Your a Carolina fan as well as the Nucks.    

Archived