[Signing] Senators re-sign Mark Stone

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

In one year Sens will have lost

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

And will have essentially nothing to show for it.  Like at all.  It's incredible really when you think about it.  A hall of fame defenseman.  A top line winger when healthy.  A top 6 winger.  A top 6 center.  A potential franchise defining center in Hughes

For nothing.

Chiarelli was like here, I AM the worst GM in the league, Bergevin was like Tabernak hold my Molson...Bergevin cracked his knuckles and said back up ladies lemme show you how it's done.

And somewhere Mike MIlbury is shaking his head in awe

And Burrows. How can you forget Burrows?:o

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

How in the hell is Stone worth close to franchise player money? I understand the he may be one of their better players but for 7.5 million?

He will be gone at the TDL for a second and a prospect if they are lucky. 

Have you ever watched him play?  He is a take away machine.  Scores big goals.  Has a ridiculous release.  And has played so far with trash.  With a real line, he would a legitimate star.

8 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Could toss Turris into that pile of nothing too once Duchene walks.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

And Burrows. How can you forget Burrows?:o

Hell gentlemen lets go back 18 months and see how bad it REALLY is

Since the 2017 Burrows Trade the Sens have acquired

Burrows

Stalberg

Gormley

Jokkipaka

Duchene

Gaborik

Shore

Pokka

Gustavsson

Cole

Moutrey

2017 3rd 

2017 2nd

2018 1st

2019 3rd

2019 2nd

2020 3rd

Since 2017 the Sens have shed 

Dahlen

Lazar

Kostka

Turris

Bowers

Hammond

Phaneuf

Thompson

DiDomineco

Dunn

Shore

Cole

Hoffman

2017 3rd

Future Considerations

2018 3rd 

2019 1st (deferred)

2018 3rd (via trade)

On the block to being lost this year

Future HOF D man Karlsson

1st line winger Stone

Top 6 center Duchene

(including that 1st round pick again because it's top 3 for sure)

So let's look at that list....Milbury would be proud.  Very Very proud

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

And will have essentially nothing to show for it.  Like at all.  It's incredible really when you think about it.  A hall of fame defenseman.  A top line winger when healthy.  A top 6 winger.  A top 6 center.  A potential franchise defining center in Hughes

For nothing.

Chiarelli was like here, I AM the worst GM in the league, Bergevin was like Tabernak hold my Molson...Dorion cracked his knuckles and said back up ladies lemme show you how it's done.

You are assuming that Stone Karlsson and Duchene aren't moved during the season.  I would assume that all 3 would return a reasonable prospect and a 1st at a minimum. This is not a good situation, but nowhere near as bleack as you suggest.  The killer is going to be watching the Avs draft Hughes with their pick.

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

If he becomes a UFA, JB should be ready to pony up for him.

imagine:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser 

Dahlen Pettersson Stone

thats a legit top 6.

if dahlen isnt ready, we have an abundance of replacements that still make it a great top 6:

virtanen leipsic goldobin granlund eriksson

Your third line in a few years would likely be Virt-Gaudette-Leipsic/Goldobin.  Potentially a very good top 9.  

On the assumption we draft a D this year with our 1st, I'd love to get Stone for 6x 6.5 to 7.

I am resigned to us missing out on Hughes, and drafting Byram.

Hughes-Tanev

Byram-Joulevi

Tryamkin-XXXX

Demko

Di Pietro

I think we are 3 or 4 pieces and 2 years away from wrapping up this rebuild.

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

You are assuming that Stone Karlsson and Duchene aren't moved during the season.  I would assume that all 3 would return a reasonable prospect and a 1st at a minimum. This is not a good situation, but nowhere near as bleack as you suggest.  The killer is going to be watching the Avs draft Hughes with their pick.

Ummm no...I am stating flat out they're gone by the TDL or sooner.

And it IS as bleak as I suggest sir.  They're going to lose all 3 of their remaining assets for essentially nothing as every GM in the league knows Karlsson wants out, Stone is either going to be too injured to play by the TDL or will be open about looking for other options and Duchene will either get a massive contract mid season or bounce as a UFA

It is a bad time to be a Sens fan honestly.  And watching Burnaby Joe walk up to the podium in vancouver and announce who they're picking with the 1st overall pick is going to be glorious.  If the Sens are smart they're looking at moving Stone+ or Karlsson to the Avs for their 1st back

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ummm no...I am stating flat out they're gone by the TDL or sooner.

And it IS as bleak as I suggest sir.  They're going to lose all 3 of their remaining assets for essentially nothing as every GM in the league knows Karlsson wants out, Stone is either going to be too injured to play by the TDL or will be open about looking for other options and Duchene will either get a massive contract mid season or bounce as a UFA

It is a bad time to be a Sens fan honestly.  And watching Burnaby Joe walk up to the podium in vancouver and announce who they're picking with the 1st overall pick is going to be glorious.  If the Sens are smart they're looking at moving Stone+ or Karlsson to the Avs for their 1st back

My point was that they are not going to lose those 3 for nothing, which is what you said in your first post.  If they are traded before the TDL, they will return significant assets, which is why it is not as bleak as you stated.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

For nothing.

Chiarelli was like here, I AM the worst GM in the league, Bergevin was like Tabernak hold my Molson...Dorion cracked his knuckles and said back up ladies lemme show you how it's done.

Killer post, 'hipster...best part: spelling "tabenacle" phonetically.  I'll see your TABERNAK and raise you a SACK-CRAY-MONT.  These are about the only french words I learned from my ex-wife from Drummondville (home of Yvan Cournoyer, and...wait for it...where POUTINE was invented). 

Oh, and I forgot..."un cinquant, s'il vous plait" (the only part of the world where Labatt 50 is a popular brand.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

It frightens me to think about how much Boeser is going to ask for if Stone is getting this much.

I look at it differently...I hope Boeser has the type of year where he can command a $9 to $10 million contract. And since I'm not the one cutting the cheque, I'm totally good with that.  And it would mean the Canucks have a bonafide superstar.  Players like that would deserve crazy money (by NHL standards).

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hell gentlemen lets go back 18 months and see how bad it REALLY is

Since the 2017 Burrows Trade the Sens have acquired

Burrows

Stalberg

Gormley

Jokkipaka

Duchene

Gaborik

Shore

Pokka

Gustavsson

Cole

Moutrey

2017 3rd 

2017 2nd

2018 1st

2019 3rd

2019 2nd

2020 3rd

Since 2017 the Sens have shed 

Dahlen

Lazar

Kostka

Turris

Bowers

Hammond

Phaneuf

Thompson

DiDomineco

Dunn

Shore

Cole

Hoffman

2017 3rd

Future Considerations

2018 3rd 

2019 1st (deferred)

2018 3rd (via trade)

On the block to being lost this year

Future HOF D man Karlsson

1st line winger Stone

Top 6 center Duchene

(including that 1st round pick again because it's top 3 for sure)

So let's look at that list....Milbury would be proud.  Very Very proud

Sens had a bright future.... now its just hell.

Look at those crazy prospects ... Dorion needs to go.

4 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Could toss Turris into that pile of nothing too once Duchene walks.

Horrible trade. 

Duchene will most likely walk and OTT will be a bottom 3 team with a great chance at the 1st overall.     

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Hoffman

Karlsson

Stone

Duchene

A top 3 pick

For nothing.

...and some here at CDC complain about Benning......

The Senators just keep imploding. I'd be very surprised to see him sign an extension to stick around. He'll likely be on the move because Ottawa can't afford to lose him for nothing, problem is that kills some of their leverage because teams know they'll likely be looking to move him for assets. They'll still get something for him but it likely won't be as much as it could be because he's a threat to simply walk.

Unless they manage to sign him to an extension and flip him as part of a deal.

6 hours ago, BCNate said:

My point was that they are not going to lose those 3 for nothing, which is what you said in your first post.  If they are traded before the TDL, they will return significant assets, which is why it is not as bleak as you stated.

Which is fair but I think every GM in the league knows the writing is on the wall for Stone and Karlsson, both being 1 year players before UFA status or 3 month rentals.  There is little to no way they are getting solid value or return for these two players and the likelihood of keeping or retaining Duchene in the face of a decade of rebuilding after his stint on an almost endlessly bad Avs team is highly unlikely.

The return these players SHOULD net the Lens is effectively neutered by those simple facts

Bleak it might not be but you REALLY have to look hard to see any potential bright spots there

Archived