The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ceci Awarded $4.3 million by arbitrator to play for Senators next season

Rob_Zepp

Arbitrator awards Senators defencemen Cody Ceci $4.3M

Apparently it was $2 million salary, $2 million in pain/suffering but having to be part of a tire fire in Ottawa and $300K to buy "insurance" against any GF/SO using social media to attack other Senator's wives/GFs.    

The 24-year-old Ottawa native is a key contributor to the Senators top-four. Last season, he averaged 23:20 minutes per game which was second behind only Erik Karlsson on the team.

Ceci had five goals and 19 points in 82 games last season. For his career, he has 25 goals and 92 points in 366 games.

The announcement of Ceci’s award comes hours after the Senators avoided arbitration with forward Mark Stone by signing him to a one-year contract.

The Sens. Next July they will most likely see Stone, Duchene, Karlsson all walk. Possibly see their pick win the lottery. It will take more than a decade to come out of this mess. Been a Canuck fan since 1982 and I have never felt as hopeless as a Sens fan must feel right now. 

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

The Sens. Next July they will most likely see Stone, Duchene, Karlsson all walk. Possibly see their pick win the lottery. It will take more than a decade to come out of this mess. Been a Canuck fan since 1982 and I have never felt as hopeless as a Sens fan must feel right now. 

Sens on a mission to go back to thr inaugural roots

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I'm amazed that all it took was one year, with making it to the Eastern Final the year before no less. Talk about a roller coaster that's crashed and burned.

10 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

wow.... a player that average 18 points the last 2 seasons is a 4.3 million dollar dman, I still remember the days when guys like Bieksa was a 4.5 million dollar established top 4 dman, we got Hamhius at 4.5, Ballard did more then Ceci right now, was a 4.2 man oh man.

And Chris Tanev makes 4.45 million and his career high in points is 20. Yet Tanev has value out the wazoo and is worth a king's ransom even with his injury history according to CDC. So I'm going to assume Ceci is worth more than just his point totals alone and maybe he just isn't the flashy type of dman, but a solid stable defensive guy.

I'm sure someone will say he was a -27 last year, but Erik Karlsson was a -25 and Karlsson even had the offense to offset some of it, so I'll say the team obviously had a bad year.

Ceci is his last 3 seasons averaged over 20 minutes a game, so I'd say he has established himself as a top 4 dman (which includes the team that went into the Eastern finals and he played the 2nd highest minutes in that playoffs at 23 minutes a night average).

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

wow.... a player that average 18 points the last 2 seasons is a 4.3 million dollar dman, I still remember the days when guys like Bieksa was a 4.5 million dollar established top 4 dman, we got Hamhius at 4.5, Ballard did more then Ceci right now, was a 4.2 man oh man.

Wow.  What a myopic perspective.

I guess you missed the point where Ceci plays 23:20 of ice time/game, second to Karlson on that team.

He's effectively their #2D - so your point about top 4 D is odd.

Also had 41.2% ozone starts, among the lowest on that team - so expecting, or judging the player on 18 pts is misleading.  He's also merely 24 yrs old.

334 combined hits and blocked shots in a hard minutes/matchup role.

Lead that team by a considerable margin in penalty killing ice time.

I don't think a lot of people realize how the NHL values players in the present - obviously, it's not simply by offensive production.

I love those Canucks you named, but let's be real for a minute - those were deals signed in 2011.   Hamhuis topped 24 pts once in 6 seasons here.  Juice 3x in 10 seasons.  And needless to say, those Canucks teams were far better and more talented than the hapless Senators.

Ballard scored a combined 16pts as a Canuck over three injury riddled seasons.

You're not really looking realistically at Ceci. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the player too. I would love to see the comparison list tho... thats kinda high on first glance. 

Overall he can produce 20 + points in a good year, not quite as defensively reliable as Tanev but similar overall. And some people think Ceci's cap is too high ? he makes less than Tanev and puts up more points, has no contract clauses.

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Tanev has a higher caphit with a clause in it and he produces much less than Ceci on the scoresheet. So ?

14 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He's their best dman behind Karlsson. Bieksa was a top 4 D almost 10 years ago.

Salaries increase with the salary cap....who woulda thought!

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Overall he can produce 20 + points in a good year, not quite as defensively reliable as Tanev but similar overall. And some people think Ceci's cap is too high ? he makes less than Tanev and puts up more points, has no contract clauses.

not really - Ceci 0.25ppg career avg, Tanev 0.22, I'd call that essentially equivalent. Ceci seems to be a bit more durable, thats probably the biggest difference between them so if Tanev is the best comparable then the salary makes sense. 

Archived