The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Death of the Author and the End of Empathy - Literature can now only be read through a victim's lens

Rob_Zepp

10 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Saying that gender is a wider spectrum than binary doesn't automatically open the door to identifying as any object that pops into your head. Here's a handy chart for visualization:

genderspectrum.jpg.b81e28603168a28d8c18feab2a983dea.jpg

Since that door has been opened with gender, have we seen any legitimate cases of a gender non conforming person trying to identify as a wolf, helicopter or fire hydrant? Or has it all been from people trying to take the piss out of those laws as a joke or political statement? 

Who controls that chart and what scientific backing does it have, and what gives it authority? What is Genderfluid Agender? You can have a gender and no gender at the same time? What is "Uncertain or All"? If people can't agree upon or understand these things, it's pretty hard to decide what constitutes discrimination against them. What if someone feels they fall nowhere on that chart? Is this chart discriminatory in that sense? This doesn't really answer as many questions as raise more subjective questions. And how can one apply a chart to someone's feelings? You can't objectively pin down something that is subjective, no matter how hard you try. 

Maybe no one has taken the piss out of these laws yet, but the laws being unnecessary in the first place allows that to happen. I hope it doesn't happen. But they've created a possibility where it wasn't before, especially in it's vagueness, which is what rubs people the wrong way. 

37 minutes ago, richado said:

Alright, does Scientology deserve some of the tax exemptions it enjoys?

I'm going to see Mission Impossible later tonight so I'll let you know after that. 

I think all religions are a bit goofy and should not be allowed tax exemptions, but thats also a different issue from your freedom to practice it or not face hate crimes over things like if you believe in special underwear or Santa. 

Hahaha, I hear it's good.

I brought it up cos it was a sort of legislation of subjective beliefs having unwanted consequences. But anyways, let's leave it here. I respect your opinions and enjoyed the back and forth. Always good to put ideas to the test.

19 hours ago, richado said:

Hahaha, I hear it's good.

I brought it up cos it was a sort of legislation of subjective beliefs having unwanted consequences. But anyways, let's leave it here. I respect your opinions and enjoyed the back and forth. Always good to put ideas to the test.

yah its nice to have a discussion with out it devolving into snowflakes and/or Hitler.

You're asking some important questions, ones that will play out for sure in the wider population more and more. For me, I have no issues with it for a few reasons, some work I've done for non-proft groups and some friends and family in the LGBTQ community have provided some insights into things so I'm not concerned in the least about where it will go and how it will play out in actuality. But I also get people are concerned about new laws. 

Oh it was a great movie btw, go Scientology! 

20 hours ago, richado said:

Who controls that chart and what scientific backing does it have, and what gives it authority? What is Genderfluid Agender? You can have a gender and no gender at the same time? What is "Uncertain or All"? If people can't agree upon or understand these things, it's pretty hard to decide what constitutes discrimination against them. What if someone feels they fall nowhere on that chart? Is this chart discriminatory in that sense? This doesn't really answer as many questions as raise more subjective questions. And how can one apply a chart to someone's feelings? You can't objectively pin down something that is subjective, no matter how hard you try. 

Maybe no one has taken the piss out of these laws yet, but the laws being unnecessary in the first place allows that to happen. I hope it doesn't happen. But they've created a possibility where it wasn't before, especially in it's vagueness, which is what rubs people the wrong way. 

All the terms on the chart have been defined. It's a pretty deep dive, so I don't feel like going into all the detail right now but you're more than welcome to look into it more if you choose to.

Judging by some of the responses on CDC alone whenever queer or trans people are brought up, I would argue that yes, gender identity should be a protected class. Maybe you've seen differently than I but I have yet to see a queer or trans person try and make a joke of the system by expressing their identity. 

Archived