The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] TDL 2019

Well looking at the Canucks and being a realist for a second.....(I did say for a second!)

It is obvious that the current Canuck team is still a ways from competing with the up class of teams of the NHL

The question to me is , who do we have left from the current team at that point...…….

Personally, and I have heard it many times on here, we are still 2 to 3 years after this current year, before we are ready for the heavy lifting

so with that being said, it is my opinion, that the sooner we draft players that will be ready in that time frame the better!

No better time than our own 2018/2019 draft in Vancouver, where for no other reason than having our drafted players starting to hatch when we need them

AKA...……...2021/2022 season

So with that being said...….the question is will Edler, Sutter, MDZ, Gagner, Eriksson or Markstrom be on that team? Personally, I don't think so, 

and if any of them are, their roles would be very minor. Which brings to the UFA's that have not been signed as of today, and what they could be 

signed for, and how long their term would be. IMO, these players will start to be signed on short term, cheap contracts, and there will not be a whole lot of difference

in terms of short term contributions, than the for mentioned players. For short term, would  there be a significant difference? I don't think so...…….

In short, Edler and co, are replaceable, short term...…………………..and if they are not, quite up to the same standards...…..would it matter?

So are there replacements for the group I have named....are they close? Would they work for a year or 2, until, we are ready?

Here are those players, with some UFA suggested replacements

Edler...……………...Sbisa or Enstrom

Sutter...……………..Cammalleri, Shore

Baertschi...…………Nash.....or promotion from within?

MDZ...………………Martin, Georges...…..or promotion form within?

Gagner...…………...Letestu

Eriksson...………….Brower

Markstrom………….Lehtonen

Now, my point is not that these guys would be straight across replacements, but question whether or not interchanging a few of them would make that much of a difference to

the team, either in a negative or positive way or not...……..I suggest there may not be that much of a difference to a rebuilding team

So first off we know, that Eriksson will not be moved for several years, so we can take him out of the equation, but are the others interchangeable short term? My thoughts are not 

signing them for any more that a 1 year term, after moving the above players. And that in addition, we should be looking to sign temporary players (for lack of a better term) for 

several years, while our prospects mature...………..and that these temps are available every year, and we will be needing less and less of them, as our prospects begin to develop.

Value wise......Edler is worth a late 1st at the TDL, especially this year

Sutter...……....close to the same value (late 1st), possibly a (2 seconds)

Baertschi...…..possible a 2nd and 3rd ish type deal

MDZ...………..a 3rd rounder

Gagner...…….a bucket of KFC...…...extra crispy...…...or a 5/6 rounder

Markstrom…..a 2nd and a 4th

But again there has to be a market, and or a hungry team that thinks one of these players will help them move forward, but again, will they be here in 2/3 years? Even if they were not moved?

And if not, would one of the UFA's be able to take their place short term?

Thoughts? Permission to fire away!

No, no and no thanks very much. Man, I hear you want to move some of the vets for picks and I support that move. Rather then replace them with another crew of over-the-hill players I would rather see some of our AHL players earn valuable experience in the bigs.

2 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

No, no and no thanks very much. Man, I hear you want to move some of the vets for picks and I support that move. Rather then replace them with another crew of over-the-hill players I would rather see some of our AHL players earn valuable experience in the bigs.

I am good with that......really

But who replaces them.....and when?

I just wanted to get the ball rolling and see what CDC is thinking about this

I appreciate the response

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Edler...……………...Sbisa or Enstrom

Sutter...……………..Cammalleri, Shore

Baertschi...…………Nash.....or promotion from within?

MDZ...………………Martin, Georges...…..or promotion form within?

Gagner...…………...Letestu

Markstrom………….Lehtonen

Edler...……………...Juolevi

Sutter...……………..Gaudette

Baertschi...…………Baertschi

MDZ...………………Hughes

Gagner...…………...Lind

Markstrom………….Demko

Approximate matchings of vets to depart once the young player overtakes them:

(2-3 years) Eriksson --> Dahlen

(2-3 years) Sutter --> Gaudette

(2-3 years) Roussel --> Lind/Gadjovich

(1 year or less) Hutton --> Juolevi

(1 year or less) MDZ --> Hughes

(1 year or less) Nilsson --> Demko

(season start) Gagner --> Leipsic, Goldobin, Gaunce, Dahlen... yeah, pretty much anyone

As of now, the bottom 4 are the ones most likely to go first, at some point this year or by the TDL.

56 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Edler...……………...Juolevi

Sutter...……………..Gaudette

Baertschi...…………Baertschi

MDZ...………………Hughes

Gagner...…………...Lind

Markstrom………….Demko

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Approximate matchings of vets to depart once the young player overtakes them:

(2-3 years) Eriksson --> Dahlen

(2-3 years) Sutter --> Gaudette

(2-3 years) Roussel --> Lind/Gadjovich

(1 year or less) Hutton --> Juolevi

(1 year or less) MDZ --> Hughes

(1 year or less) Nilsson --> Demko

(season start) Gagner --> Leipsic, Goldobin, Gaunce, Dahlen... yeah, pretty much anyone

As of now, the bottom 4 are the ones most likely to go first, at some point this year or by the TDL.

Very similar and very much how I see the replacing happening from within...…...

What I am getting at is the potential to replace with low cost replacements on a short term basis

I wonder if any of the players mentioned could fill in short term, so that we could trade our veterans mentioned

while our prospect mature...…..admittedly, a hair brained idea, just wondering if any of them could be used ?????

Again, only short term....absolutely no multi year deals

And a greater question is, are the suggested replacements too much of a down grade in talent?

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Very similar and very much how I see the replacing happening from within...…...

What I am getting at is the potential to replace with low cost replacements on a short term basis

I wonder if any of the players mentioned could fill in short term, so that we could trade our veterans mentioned

while our prospect mature...…..admittedly, a hair brained idea, just wondering if any of them could be used ?????

Again, only short term....absolutely no multi year deals

And a greater question is, are the suggested replacements too much of a down grade in talent?

Why replace low cost options with other low cost options?   The trade market for used parts is not great - name a team couping lots of picks for spare parts....the picks being moved (at least the higher picks) are for top 6/top 3 types up front and top pairing types on the rear.   Edler MAY get a late IF he was signed beyond but that isn't the case (the signed beyond) so what team would do that deal...further, Edler won't waive as that is a road already explored and you don't keep going back to a guy on that.

Talent downgrade?   Hard to say as youth has lots of talent/potential but not the experience to know if that talent will be useful.   So hard to project Jan.

I would say try to move all our expiring to UFA contracts for picks. This then would mean as per cap friendly we would move:

1) Edler

2) Del Zotto

3) Nilsson

We do have replacements in the system for all but 1 potential low first and two possible second round picks would help.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] TDL 2019

Archived