The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Games 4-11 in upcoming season (hard match-ups)

Rush17

I just was checking out our schedule again to start the season. Man. Games 4-11 are going to be a real challenge for this young team.

After the 3 opening games vs Calgary (x2) and Carolina we go up against TBL, FLA, PIT, WPG, BOS, WSH, VGK. 

That will be one heck of a test for our young club. I am excited to see how we fair.  It could be a good learning experience for our young team. I wouldn't be surprised if we start off splitting those first 3 then hit a real wall for our young guys.  This will be a good test for Pettersson and crew to get a feel for the NHL level. Hopefully, we will have another young body or two who make the club to get a feel for some the NHL's best.  Those are some brutally strong teams in there. (all 4 of the final 4 from last year plus the previous years cup team, a strong boston club, and a promising panthers team).

This is probably better suited for a schedule chat but I figured it might warrant its own chat. If you feel its not good here so please feel free to move it. Tell me what you guys think this challenge may pose and what do you think about the first 3 games being vs slightly easier competition in CAR and CGY?? I am excited to get this season underway!

Most games will be a challenge unless JB can improve the defense in this team.  

This is a rebuilding bottom 10 team. Maybe bottom 5. Team will have to work very hard almost every night in order to get a win. 

It's OK. Keep building thru the draft. We'll be a very good team in 5 years. 

51 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I just was checking out our schedule again to start the season. Man. Games 4-11 are going to be a real challenge for this young team.

After the 3 opening games vs Calgary (x2) and Carolina we go up against TBL, FLA, PIT, WPG, BOS, WSH, VGK. 

That will be one heck of a test for our young club. I am excited to see how we fair.  It could be a good learning experience for our young team. I wouldn't be surprised if we start off splitting those first 3 then hit a real wall for our young guys.  This will be a good test for Pettersson and crew to get a feel for the NHL level. Hopefully, we will have another young body or two who make the club to get a feel for some the NHL's best.  Those are some brutally strong teams in there. (all 4 of the final 4 from last year plus the previous years cup team, a strong boston club, and a promising panthers team).

This is probably better suited for a schedule chat but I figured it might warrant its own chat. If you feel its not good here so please feel free to move it. Tell me what you guys think this challenge may pose and what do you think about the first 3 games being vs slightly easier competition in CAR and CGY?? I am excited to get this season underway!

But Calgary and Carolina might have something to prove, and Washington and VGK might be hung over, while Pittsburg either starts really fast or slow.

We probably lose to TBL, Boston and Wpg and slpit the rest

Beagle scores 3 of his season 13 against either Wash or VGK for a win

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

But Calgary and Carolina might have something to prove, and Washington and VGK might be hung over, while Pittsburg either starts really fast or slow.

We probably lose to TBL, Boston and Wpg and slpit the rest

Beagle scores 3 of his season 13 against either Wash or VGK for a win

that WSH game will be good for him and the team.  Lots of love from sportsnet on him joining VAN and his importance. Will be an easy sell job for Jim and team.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Most games will be a challenge unless JB can improve the defense in this team.  

This is a rebuilding bottom 10 team. Maybe bottom 5. Team will have to work very hard almost every night in order to get a win. 

It's OK. Keep building thru the draft. We'll be a very good team in 5 years. 

I am hopeful the defence will come back stronger then ever. The thing I am most happy about is Juolevi is around the corner and could easily steal a starting job or earn a promotion by Christmas. He is dynamic enough on the PP to be an instant help along with Pettersson to help makeup the offensive loss of Hank and Danny. I can see us having a rocky start with the early challenges but it could be a great learning experience for the new core and its youth. Beagle will be able to help guide the young leaders and its existing youth. I am excited to see what happens. :D I am very confident this season will be a positive step in the right direction. Win or lose.  I think we can be a better team then last season tho. I have faith.  Is it misplaced?  hmm good quesiton..

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

You mean when he hits the ice for the first time for game 3? :P

:lol: :P It could very well happen. I think all they've said they he will get a game in early. One of the Flames games is my guess. ( if not both )

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I have no fear we have Sutter and Beagle 

Super strong faceoff prowess will help us without a doubt. Beagle had like a 55% win rate in the regular season and 60% in the post-season.  That boost in the dot will give us 3 very strong centers. Bo and Sutter are both great faceoff guys. Schaller does he have any face off experience? Manny is gonna have fun with those centers. :D

19 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

-We most likely got 6-4 in the first 10 games. We may be able beat Calgary depending on how they start off and Smith. Carolina we could beat, Boeser should get a hatty against Murray and the pens. Florida game can go either way imo

We do have a record of having strong starts. It seems this entire Benning era we start off strong and drown from injuries. It would be nice to have an average start and see us peak half way into a strong finish. that would be rewarding to watch for sure.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Every game will be a struggle when you were amongst the worst goals against in the league and didn't improve your goaltending and defense.

Addition by subtraction if they ship out Hutton? Maybe? Lol.

Health will be key, seemingly the talking point going into every season, since our top 4 was ravaged for long periods last year. But yeah, our defense is nothing to write home about. Our goaltending even less so. Markstrom looked solid down the stretch, but those games don't matter. At that point everyone knows where they stand and are either preparing for the off season or are focused in on the playoffs. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, Demko comes in and starts stealing some jerbs. Start with Nilsson's back up spot, then take over Markstrom's starter spot as the season goes on. It's a year where every option should be on the table.

Each player has a silicone computer chip inserted. The US teams are set low to start the yr, Cdn team skaters adjusted high. After their unexpected success up to the 20, 30 game mark, media flunky/lackeys proceed to exagerrate the Cdn franchise Oct/Nov success, generating regional-hype. Many Cdn fans buy overpriced ducats; then things start getting back to normal, as US teams get their chips activated.

Now don't anyone take this solid theory into the conspiracy-realm! :^)

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Every game will be a struggle when you were amongst the worst goals against in the league and didn't improve your goaltending and defense.

We added 3 defensive players and lost 2 'no defence' players ! Management seems to have decided on 2 x shut down forward lines ( as opposed to one ). I don't think that the 'bolded' is true.

Archived