The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waivers: who gets claimed?

Bert Diesel

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Leipsi, Goldy and Granlund would get claimed.  I can't see anyone else getting claimed because of contract or they simply aren't NHL caliber really.

Youth, upside and decent contract situations make these guys more valuable for sure. 

I have to state the obvious though: the more players that are waived by the Canucks -- together with the high number of players waived by all teams in the Fall -- the more likely it is that no one is claimed.

Or, if only one player on the Canucks is sought after... who would it be?  Sbisa being claimed by Vegas is a hint: D are valued.  So, either Hutton or Biega -- one of Edler and Del Zotto would be my choice, but that will never happen.  

Baertschi

Horvat

Boeser

Goldobin

Pettersson

Eriksson

Leipsec

Sutter

Gaudette

Roussel

Beagle

Virtanen

Schaller(IR)

Granlund

Gagner

Edler

Tanev

Del Zotto

Gudbranson

Pouliot

Stecher

Hutton

Biega

Markstrom/Nilsson

That'd be 24 (25 with Schaller on IR). I have Gaudette making the big club, you don't have to look too far back to see the immediate impact of recent Hobey Baker winners. I also have Pettersson making it. Goldobin as well, though he'll need a solid camp. So one more cut I guess, but camp would decide that.

For Utica:

Archibald*

Kero*

Boucher*

Dahlen

Gaunce*

Jasek

Gadjovich

Motte

Lind

Palmu

MacEwen

Carcone

McMaster, Bancks*, Hamilton*

McEneny*

Chatfield

Juolevi

Sautner

Brisebois

Blujus

Demko/Bachman*

Asterisks indicating veteran status. I have Gaunce/Boucher/Archibald all being waived and making it through. Motte in Utica, with a slew of rookie wingers.

Not to dump on these guys too much, but Gaunce and Granlund shouldn't be guaranteed anything. Be it injuries or under-performance, these guys are 24+, can no longer use development as an excuse. 

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Baertschi

Horvat

Boeser

Goldobin

Pettersson

Eriksson

Leipsec

Sutter

Gaudette

Roussel

Beagle

Virtanen

Schaller(IR)

Granlund

Gagner

Edler

Tanev

Del Zotto

Gudbranson

Pouliot

Stecher

Hutton

Biega

Markstrom/Nilsson

That'd be 24 (25 with Schaller on IR). I have Gaudette making the big club, you don't have to look too far back to see the immediate impact of recent Hobey Baker winners. I also have Pettersson making it. Goldobin as well, though he'll need a solid camp. So one more cut I guess, but camp would decide that.

For Utica:

Archibald*

Kero*

Boucher*

Dahlen

Gaunce*

Jasek

Gadjovich

Motte

Lind

Palmu

MacEwen

Carcone

McMaster, Bancks*, Hamilton*

McEneny*

Chatfield

Juolevi

Sautner

Brisebois

Blujus

Demko/Bachman*

Asterisks indicating veteran status. I have Gaunce/Boucher/Archibald all being waived and making it through. Motte in Utica, with a slew of rookie wingers.

Not to dump on these guys too much, but Gaunce and Granlund shouldn't be guaranteed anything. Be it injuries or under-performance, these guys are 24+, can no longer use development as an excuse. 

Good analysis.  And you make me want to follow Utica -- that team is a huge improvement over last year's.  Won't even need goaltending for a change.

Waived: Gaunce, Gagner, Archibald, Boucher

Utica: Dahlen, Gaudette, Motte, Biega, Leipsic

I think when the dust settles this could be our opening lineup. 

Beartschi - Horvat - Boeser

Eriksson - Sutter- Pettersson

Roussel - Granlund - Goldobin

Schaller - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Del Zotto

The hardest decision would be sending down Leipsic because he could get claimed. I just like what Schaller brings more especially when we're inserting Pettersson and possibly Juolevi in the lineup, we need more size.

50 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Well done. 

But Archibald at 50 %?

Maybe I'm lumping him with Gaunce.Between them I think one would get picked up as defensive help to add insurance to a bottom 6 somewhere. Archie just because of what Smith Pelly and Stewart did in the playoffs. ie a big body for the tough going in the post season

22 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Waived: Gaunce, Gagner, Archibald, Boucher

Utica: Dahlen, Gaudette, Motte, Biega, Leipsic

I think when the dust settles this could be our opening lineup. 

Beartschi - Horvat - Boeser

Leipsic - Sutter- Pettersson

Roussel - Granlund - Virtanen

Schaller - Beagle - Eriksson

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Del Zotto

The hardest decision would be sending down Leipsic because he could get claimed. I just like what Schaller brings more especially when we're inserting Pettersson and possibly Juolevi in the lineup, we need more size.

I would think Leipsic stays with the big club over Goldobin. He (Goldy) has had three years now  to prove what he can do. Leipsic has more upside anyways he plays just as fast has the offensive tools and plays a better D game than Goldy. Im sorry I wont cry if Goldobin gets waived. I would be more upset if we tried to send Leipsic down.

I also think Jake needs to play more minutes than he would get with the third group. He is a big body with speed and looked pretty good with Bo at the end of the year. Id love to see him take Baertschis place on the top line but thats just me.

Changed lineup in bold to what i think it might be closer to

5 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I hope Gaunce gets claimed.

So let me get this straight. You hope the guy who could help Utica if he doesn't make the team here and would be completely removed from our cap hit since his contract is low enough gets claimed? Yeah, sounds like CDC to me...

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

So let me get this straight. You hope the guy who could help Utica if he doesn't make the team here and would be completely removed from our cap hit since his contract is low enough gets claimed? Yeah, sounds like CDC to me...

Gaunce has had a lot of time to prove himself with the big club. If he gets sent down and someone claims him thats the risk.We cant keep everyone on the big club. Someone has to be at a risk of loss.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Gotta echo what theo said. If Goldobin plays so poorly this fall that he can't outright win a job on a bottom 5, rebuilding team with a clear opening in the top 6 LW (the exact position he plays)... the likelihood of him getting claimed is LOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW.

The likelihood of it mattering if he does is about the same.

That said, here's hoping he comes in guns blazing and forcibly nails down that spot making it a moot point. 

Ever heard of the saying, one's man trash is another one's treasure?

Even if he has an absolutely terrible camp with us, I highly doubt he is left unclaimed on waivers. Teams like Ottawa, Carolina, heck even Washington could use a player like Goldobin and would manage to find a spot for him.

16 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Gaunce has had a lot of time to prove himself with the big club. If he gets sent down and someone claims him thats the risk.We cant keep everyone on the big club. Someone has to be at a risk of loss.

I'm ok with the risk, but hoping someone doesn't clear? Pepe didn't say he hope he gets waived, but that he gets claimed.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I'm ok with the risk, but hoping someone doesn't clear? Pepe didn't say he hope he gets waived, but that he gets claimed.

So a guy (like Gaunce) gets waived and claimed, what’s the big deal?  He goes to another team, does little to nothing with them, and is waived again.  Don’t some guys just (kind of) be one waiver guys?  Then, don’t they end up in Europe? 

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

If we’re just dealing in hypotheticals, what if Goldobin goes back to Russia and we never hear from him again and Gagner helps Pettersson’s transition into the league and is later flipped for an asset that turns into an impact player. 

What i said wasnt a hypothetical, it was a risk/reward scenario. Worst case scenario to goldi not working out is sure he bolts back to Russia. And a meh  gagner goes to the ahl for a few months (as isn’t getting claimed with his cap). Big loss.....

best case scenario, we have another “core” player. 

I understand that the roster can’t be determined solely on camp but without the benefit of a crystal ball you can’t just play the long game on every roster spot. Not when we have parts of our next core actively in the lineup.  More often than not they need to be playing with the best options.  Not futures.  

Gagner is never the best option. Gagner needs more sheltering than the rookies to be effective, therefor he’s a bigger road block than a benefit to our skilled rookies. Last year goldi produced at almost an identical rate as gagner. Goldi has potential to increase his value, gagner Not so much. 

My favorite part of your post was nothing that you said. It was how the person that liked your post was the same poster that said gagner would be better than Pettersson this year... 

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I know Gagner is unpopular and what I’m about to say is likely even more unpopular.... but he’s the “veteran incumbent” to take over Hank’s ice time.  Which could still bode well for Gaudette or Pettersson or whoever shares a line with him. He’s not set in stone for the whole season, but I can’t see him being bumped out of camp unless he’s drastically outplayed by a few guys.

Hutton, on the other hand, might be SOL if Olli has a great camp.  Edler, Del Zotto, Olli and Pouliot on the left.  Tanev, Guddy, Stecher and Biega on the right.

Spot on about Gagner.  He makes the team out of camp.  

It's going to take some time for a younger player to prove that they are a better alternative to Gagner either at centre or on the wing.  Benning likes to have players who can play both positions and players who can only play wing would have to play a lot better.  Gags is also decent on the power play.  He's also good in the room.

He's trade deadline fodder in his final year imo.  That's 2019-20.  Not this upcoming season.

17 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

we will see what happens. LIke i said if he gets picked up he has to stay with a big club. could be good for the young kid

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Spot on about Gagner.  He makes the team out of camp.  

It's going to take some time for a younger player to prove that they are a better alternative to Gagner either at centre or on the wing.  Benning likes to have players who can play both positions and players who can only play wing would have to play a lot better.  Gags is also decent on the power play.  He's also good in the room.

He's trade deadline fodder in his final year imo.  That's 2019-20.  Not this upcoming season.

Unlikely but he could be traded as easly as this year for a team looking for help on the cheap (trade value wise) he’s low risk enough a team may consider him. 

But agree most likely traded in 2019/20.

Just now, Dazzle said:

Yakupov cleared unclaimed...

Yakapov has had several opportunities on several teams including a contender like St Louis. Goldie has only really had a chance in VAN and he looked good at the end of last season. Hardly the same scenario imo.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

I hope he gets fired out a cannon into the sun but I'm not sure who to contact about that. Elon Musk?

Archived