The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lineup] Realistic Lineup to Start Next Season

Intro

Realistically, I think Management's plan is to completely stack Utica - buy the next wave of kids a year or two before they come and replace the older veterans. Note, this is what I think will be the realistic lineups barring any surprises at training camp or further trades. The roster is based on players currently under contract with the Canucks and is influenced waiver considerations.  Slowly, by the trade deadline next year and the year after, Management will move players out that can't stick or aren't shining, say a Del Zotto, Gagner, Granlund or even Baertschi and Markstrom while younger players who will be part of the next core come and take their place such as the Linds, Gadjovichs, Gaudettes, Hughes and Demkos. 

*Under-25 by Year's End (2018)

Underline = Recent Canucks draft pick and potential to make the jump to the NHL sooner rather than later. 

Blue = Player with some grit and pushback. Green hated how soft his team was last year. 

Vancouver Canucks 2018-2019:

Starting Lineup 

Baertschi-*Horvat-*Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-*Pettersson

Roussel-Beagle-Granlund

Schaller-Gagner-*Virtanen

*Goldobin-*Leipsic

Edler-Gudbranson

Del Zotto-Tanev

*Pouliot-*Stecher

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson 

PP1:

Baertschi-Horvat-Pettersson

Edler-Boeser

Utica "Stacked" Comets 2018-2019:

Starting Lineup 

*Dahlén-*Gaudette-Boucher

*Motte-Kero-*Jasek

*Gadjovich-Gaunce-*Lind

Archibald-*MacEwen-*Palmu

Carcone

*Juolevi-Biega

*Brisebois-*McEneny

*Sautner-*Chatfield

*Demko

Bachman

PP1:

Gaudette-Kero-Dahlén

Juolevi-Boucher 

Reasoning

Management's thinking is to start Gaudette  as a top-6 centre in Utica largely due to the number's game but also because he'll benefit more playing 20+ key minutes on the PP, PK in the minors alongside offensive talent than in a bottom-6 role in Vancouver. Similar reasoning for Juolevi and Demko. Are they good enough for the NHL? Possibly. But there's no rush and they won't be key contributors in the NHL as they would be in the AHL. Also, due to typical Canuck's luck, injuries will occur and we will see call-ups sooner rather than later. 

When Management signed Beagle, they indicated this would allow Sutter to move into a more offensive role. I reckon he'll start as the 2C until and unless Pettersson proves he can play in that role which I don't think he can given that he has only played a handful of games at centre in the SHL. Sutter's defensive presence will also allow Pettersson to be a bit more creative offensively with Eriksson.

There is grit and skill on almost each of the offensive and defensive pairings for the Parent Club. For both Utica and Vancouver, those Powerplays have tons of pure skill and finishers. (Gaudette and Dahlen for Utica, Boeser and Pettersson for Vancouver). Gone are the days of Jayson Megna and Michael Chaput :goat:

19 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Intro

Realistically, I think Management's plan is to completely stack Utica - buy the next wave of kids a year or two before they come and replace the older veterans. Note, this is what I think will be the realistic lineups barring any surprises at training camp or further trades. The roster is based on players currently under contract with the Canucks and is influenced waiver considerations.  Slowly, by the trade deadline next year and the year after, Management will move players out that can't stick or aren't shining, say a Del Zotto, Gagner, Granlund or even Baertschi and Markstrom while younger players who will be part of the next core come and take their place such as the Linds, Gadjovichs, Gaudettes, Hughes and Demkos. 

Underline = Recent Canucks draft pick and potential to make the jump to the NHL sooner rather than later. 

Blue = Player with some grit and pushback. Green hated how soft his team was last year. 

Vancouver Canucks 2018-2019:

Starting Lineup 

Baertschi-*Horvat-*Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-*Pettersson

Roussel-Beagle-Granlund

Schaller-Gagner-*Virtanen

*Goldobin-*Leipsic

Edler-Gudbranson

Del Zotto-Tanev

*Pouliot-*Stecher

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson 

PP1:

Baertschi-Horvat-Pettersson

Edler-Boeser

Utica "Stacked" Comets 2018-2019:

Starting Lineup 

*Dahlén-*Gaudette-Boucher

*Motte-Kero-*Jasek

*Gadjovich-Gaunce-*Lind

Archibald-*MacEwen-*Palmu

Carcone

*Juolevi-Biega

*Brisebois-*McEneny

*Sautner-*Chatfield

*Demko

Bachman

PP1:

Gaudette-Kero-Dahlén

Juolevi-Boucher 

Reasoning

Management's thinking is to start Gaudette  as a top-6 centre in Utica largely due to the number's game but also because he'll benefit more playing 20+ key minutes on the PP, PK in the minors alongside offensive talent than in a bottom-6 role in Vancouver. Similar reasoning for Juolevi and Demko. Are they good enough for the NHL? Possibly. But there's no rush and they won't be key contributors in the NHL as they would be in the AHL. Also, due to typical Canuck's luck, injuries will occur and we will see call-ups sooner rather than later. 

When Management signed Beagle, they indicated this would allow Sutter to move into a more offensive role. I reckon he'll start as the 2C until and unless Pettersson proves he can play in that role which I don't think he can given that he has only played a handful of games at centre in the SHL. Sutter's defensive presence will also allow Pettersson to be a bit more creative offensively with Eriksson.

There is grit and skill on almost each of the offensive and defensive pairings for the Parent Club. For both Utica and Vancouver, those Powerplays have tons of pure skill and finishers. (Gaudette and Dahlen for Utica, Boeser and Pettersson for Vancouver). Gone are the days of Jayson Megna and Michael Chaput :goat:

I really think Gaudett, Demko, Juolevi will have great camps and make it hard for management on there final decision..Will be interesting to see if management make room for some of these young guys if they outplay some older players? Should be a very interesting camp..

24 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I really think Gaudett, Demko, Juolevi will have great camps and make it hard for management on there final decision..Will be interesting to see if management make room for some of these young guys if they outplay some older players? Should be a very interesting camp..

If they win a spot they'll still end up in Utica until a spot is opened for them.

I think @NHL'er has it locked down. Even before camp we know the guys we'll be losing when one of the kids shows up. 

As of today, that starting roster looks pretty accurate IMO and the reasoning behind it is solid.

I expect a few pieces to be moved around after camp / early season to accommodate a couple of risers and appease the "asset management" crowd.

I share the same thoughts

I have gaudette pegged as the number 1 centre in Utica to start the year which would be fantastic for his development 

There will be injuries so he’ll get his due eventually same with dahlen, leipsic, gaunce etc. 

Juolevi is gonna have roughly a month between being medically cleared for full contact hockey and training camp so I imagine he’ll have a rough training camp and start in Utica. No fault of his just the way I’m expecting it to go

I love that Utica lineup and would like to see it play out exactly that way. As for the Canucks I would have Pettersson at Centre on the second line and have either Goldobin or Leipsic in the lineup ahead of Gagner.

Hopefully the best performers in Utica (Gaudette, Dahlen and Juolevi probably) will be brought up after the trade deadline when spots on the Canucks become available.

50 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

man it is gonna be hard

and feel pretty bleak

if the nuckleheads start next season

with exactly the same d corp

and goalie combo

as last season

surely there can be 1 change?

some token of hope to offer the fans ?

please

:blink:

Quit your whining.

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Gotta say

That Utica roster looks &^@#ing awesome. But I think the Gaunce at centre ship sailed a while back...

Yea maybe he swaps with Motte. Think Mottes played a bit there before too.

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

And maybe Dahlen, as well. 

It really will be interesting; most interesting year in almost a decade.  

It'll also be a time where we can see what Management's philosophy is: do they really keep the best players on the big team, or are they committed to a certain kind of development, i.e., stacking Utica.   Because we can be sure that there will be young guys that will outshine some of the vets, and we'll all see it right there in front of us. In addition to Gaudette, guys like Lind and Gadjovich may outplay Gagner and even Eriksson, perhaps even the new old boy Beagle. 

The idea that Sutter can get to play a more offensive role now, perhaps thanks to Pettersson, perhaps even playing on the same line with him -- this is sad.  

I agree with your roster of players. Can't wait to see Pettersson on the team.

Utica should have an awesome team next year, and this bodes well for the young guys to be in a winning environment. Canucks signed 3 more veteran UFAs over the summer, so those guys will play, in addition to the veteran UFAs Benning signed last year as well. It's not going to be easy for the young guys to make the team and I think this is why they signed those UFAs. Canucks are really focusing on development. Might take some patience, but I believe it will pay off down the road.  

Another observation:

The Sedins are gone, and this will be a very different team this coming season. We really don't know what to expect. Unchartered territory. I think they'll be a tougher team to play against, more grit, more aggressive, more speed. The Sedins played a cerebral game and slowed everything down. This year will be about attack and speed. So excited. Opponents don't even have game film to study because a lot has changed. Sure, they can look at Horvat, Boeser and Markstrom film, but I think their systems change this year too. It seemed to me, the Canucks style of game revolved around the Sedins. They were becoming predictable. Now the Canucks are unpredictable.

We can all assume they'll finish in the bottom again, and that's very possible, but what if things just click? What if Boeser scores 40+ goals? What if Pettersson gets himself 50-60 points? What if Hutton and Virtanen take that next step? Injuries happen, but it's not a huge problem like it may have been, they now have some good depth they can call on (and not have to call up a Megna or Chaput). Like Beagle says: he's not coming here to lose. 

13 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Intro

Is there a quote from Green where he said this? I don't doubt it one bit, just want to hear what Green had to say. This team will definitely be a harder team to deal with for other teams that have grown accustomed to pushing the Canucks around.

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

man it is gonna be hard

and feel pretty bleak

if the nuckleheads start next season

with exactly the same d corp

and goalie combo

as last season

surely there can be 1 change?

some token of hope to offer the fans ?

please

:blink:

We need jack Hughes I’m down to dress that garbage roster . We need another top five pick atleast imo

45 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

We need jack Hughes I’m down to dress that garbage roster . We need another top five pick atleast imo

Ya it just feels like we’re missing one more young stud before we can trending upwards

ideally a centre or dman 

Who would be the best ever Forward and Dman brothers to play in the NHL at the same time?

Scott and Rob Niedermayer were a good pair, Scott obviously had the much better career.

I don't know if there are any other comparables (two brothers - one played forward the other played D)

Quinn and Jack Hughes will probably turn out to be the best brother pairing playing these positions in the NHL, ever.

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who would be the best ever Forward and Dman brothers to play in the NHL at the same time?

Scott and Rob Niedermayer were a good pair, Scott obviously had the much better career.

I don't know if there are any other comparables (two brothers - one played forward the other played D)

Quinn and Jack Hughes will probably turn out to be the best brother pairing playing these positions in the NHL, ever.

Staal bros

Yeah I’d say you close op. 

That looks like a 31st place team.

I hope jake doesn’t play on the fourth line and I hope goldobin get a real chance in an offensive role. I’d rather see those two than any of eriksdone gagme Roussel sutter in a top 6

Archived