The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Rick Celebrini leaving Canucks to join Golden State Warriors

Rush17

Full article on link below. A few quotes here.

"Widely known as one of the top sport and orthopedic physiotherapists in North America, the Burnaby native is heading south, as the Golden State Warriors announced him as their new director of sports medicine and performance.

Celebrini was hired as the Canucks’ director of rehabilitation four years ago by Trevor Linden. Despite “decades of experience in injury prevention,” Celebrini’s presence didn’t seem to help Canucks players stay away from the injured list. The Canucks regularly finished near the top of the league in man-games lost over the past three seasons, though clearly that could be purely coincidental.

The obvious connection to Golden State is player development consultant Steve Nash, who Celebrini worked with during his playing days.

“Steve Nash and I have been friends for many years, and the regard he has for this organization was a huge part of me choosing to come here and accepting this exciting opportunity,” Celebrini said."

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/rick-celebrini-physio-canucks-whitecaps-warriors

crazy news. happy we can get in someone new because he hasn't helped our injury problems.

That is a surprise. I hope they bring Mike Burnstein back. This team has had worse injuries since Celebrini took over for Burnstein anyways.

Here is an NBA.com article on it: https://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warriors-name-rick-celebrini-director-sports-medicine-and-performance

Agreed. We had bad injuries over the Celebrini era. 

I do believe we've taken care of the players after their careers are over, better with the new treatments. 

As far as injury prevention, I don't have stats (I would love to see them) but it certainly seems the injury bug hit us worse.

Whatever we were doing for strength and conditioning before, with less injuries, is way preferable.

Old ways/new ways, I don't care. Just reduce the injuries. We are in the NHL's worst in that regard.

1. Hired by Linden. 2. Mysteriously, perhaps conveniently, couldn’t  solve team’s injury issues. 3. Clearly a founding member of team tank.

Is he leaving on his own accord or being shown the door after Trevor was shown the door (wait, he chose to leave right?)

Someone has got to be letting someone down here, right?

With our injury woes this change is a good thing. Might make no difference but if it does then maybe there is something about Cellebrini's approach that might have impacted our injury problems. Going back to somebody like Burnstein might be a good thing ie.  'old school'  training methods might be better perhaps?

I'd be interested if there are any philsophical differences to the style of prevention. Rest, weight training, types of strength conditioning, travel tips (in particular the long flights after games with hours of sitting after a strenuous workout). There are probably differing approaches, like King Richard's famous 6 pack after a game.

I think tilted ice has more to do with the injuries.When your the windshield(playing in the offensive zone and moving down ice with speed and shooting more) it makes playing the game a lot healthier.When your the bug ie; getting hit by players at speed and blocking far to many shots(Mr.Tanev) and expending a lot of energy trying to retrieve the puck and get it out of your end,you seem to end up with the number of injuries the Canucks have every year.

6 hours ago, zimmy said:

1. Hired by Linden. 2. Mysteriously, perhaps conveniently, couldn’t  solve team’s injury issues. 3. Clearly a founding member of team tank.

Is he leaving on his own accord or being shown the door after Trevor was shown the door (wait, he chose to leave right?)

Someone has got to be letting someone down here, right?

yes, you with us with that poorly thought out conspiracy. 

nothing against the guy

but as others have noted

team health seemed to falter under his watch

i really never understood why that change occurred anyway

training staff was fine at the time

change for the sake of change maybe ?

somebody needed to put an extra one of their stamps on the organization?

Lol blaming him because the team has been as a group of push overs. The smallest kid on the play ground always taking the hit is always  going to get hurt more than the ones throwing the hits. Regardless if he’s got a good physio guy. 

The door left open for boeser clearly his fault 

any Thing to blame anyone who leaves, the CDC way. clearly it’s  not the guy who’s consistently brought in butter cup players over the same time period and put together the group that couldn’t throw a hit or push back to save their lives. 

pretty funny it’s now his fault that the team wasn’t good. 

More like he couldnt leave quick enough after the linden departure and watching muppet benning get danced around by aquaman. 

5 minutes ago, combover said:

Lol blaming him because the team has been as a group of push overs. The smallest kid on the play ground always taking the hit is always  going to get hurt more than the ones throwing the hits. Regardless if he’s got a good physio guy. 

The door left open for boeser clearly his fault 

any Thing to blame anyone who leaves, the CDC way. clearly it’s  not the guy who’s consistently brought in butter cup players over the same time period and put together the group that couldn’t throw a hit or push back to save their lives. 

pretty funny it’s now his fault that the team wasn’t good. 

More like he couldnt leave quick enough after the linden departure and watching muppet benning get danced around by aquaman. 

no actually

i have commented on the chronic injury situation of this team for a couple years now

and wondered why management did not appear

to be addressing this problem more aggressively to the fans/public

feel free to explain why the team injury situation changed to become worse

when the training staff was changed

there were also many freak injuries before the change as well

wcb does not accept as a reasonable explanation

bad luck or freak happenstance

in relation chronic injury issues in the workplace

where 1 employer is out of step with the norm (the rest of the nhl)

in terms of their injury rate

but you think the canuck team and fans should ??

Archived