The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings re-sign Dylan Larkin

37 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not really. Bo is more of a bowling ball. Larkin is faster but lacks elite IQ. I suppose in the end they are both good second line centers. I think Bo has more upside yet whereas I think Larkin doesnt. My issue is where people see Larkin as a future number one center whearas I dont see it. 

Larkin is Mason Raymond. 

25 minutes ago, rekker said:

What a stupid trade by McPhee. A first, second, and a third. Facepalm. 

It didn't seem so bad at the time. That was a late first, a 2nd rounder next year  and a 3rd round pick 3 years from now.

Of course after seeing tatar flop made the deal seem worse but he will have a better opportunity next season with perron and neil gone. The guy has averaged 23 goals per season during his career and is only 27, can't see him not rebounding.

Detroit got a steal at #30 when Velino fell into their laps but there is no guarantee that he becomes an nhl player, let alone a top 6 scorer.

To call the trade stupid less than 6 months later before we even know if detroit even got any nhl players back is just.... what's the word? Stupid.

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

It didn't seem so bad at the time. That was a late first, a 2nd rounder next year  and a 3rd round pick 3 years from now.

Of course after seeing tatar flop made the deal seem worse but he will have a better opportunity next season with perron and neil gone. The guy has averaged 23 goals per season during his career and is only 27, can't see him not rebounding.

Detroit got a steal at #30 when Velino fell into their laps but there is no guarantee that he becomes an nhl player, let alone a top 6 scorer.

To call the trade stupid less than 6 months later before we even know if detroit even got any nhl players back is just.... what's the word? Stupid.

Way too much for Tatar. Wasn't just me but the "pundits" on NHL Network work were left scratching their heads at the time as well. Tatar is another softie that pads his stats on 6 to 1 win nights. 

Great signing. A bridge would've only meant you're paying in 8+ mill in a couple years.

Larkin is the Bo Horvat of the Detroit Redwings right now. He's future captain material, kills penalties, plays hard minutes, cares about winning, etc. Slight uptick in PP time and production and he's a 70+ point guy. I also like that he's a bit of meaner guy than Bo on the ice. Him, Mantha, and Zadina are gonna be great.

I see the Wings as being a year behind us in their rebuild, so I always look at them as a "Who gets back to the playoffs first" comparable.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

could be, but Vegas was such a tight group by TDL day it might have been a hard team to jump into. 

Will have to see next season. Most playoff bound teams are a tight group at that time of year, some players excel after a trade to a team in playoff contention, some don't. Vegas went deep into the playoffs, he should have had enough time to acclimate and made an impact at some point given the expectations for him.

24 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

Great signing. A bridge would've only meant you're paying in 8+ mill in a couple years.

Larkin is the Bo Horvat of the Detroit Redwings right now. He's future captain material, kills penalties, plays hard minutes, cares about winning, etc. Slight uptick in PP time and production and he's a 70+ point guy. I also like that he's a bit of meaner guy than Bo on the ice. Him, Mantha, and Zadina are gonna be great.

I see the Wings as being a year behind us in their rebuild, so I always look at them as a "Who gets back to the playoffs first" comparable.

Problem with the Wings is their cap. Dekeyser, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Franzen, Ericsson all have fairly lengthy deals and way too much dollars in them. Ericsson has 2 years left I think which isn't too bad but still pretty bad. On the hook for Weiss' buyout for like 3 more years, 1.7mil. Zetterberg has 3 more years, 6 mil. But he is their Henrik Sedin so it's not too bad. We thought we had it rough with the NTCs and such when Benning first came in, the only really bad contract was Lu's but that's just if he retires before it expires. I'd say they are still a few years behind us.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Problem with the Wings is their cap. Dekeyser, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Franzen, Ericsson all have fairly lengthy deals and way too much dollars in them. Ericsson has 2 years left I think which isn't too bad but still pretty bad. On the hook for Weiss' buyout for like 3 more years, 1.7mil. Zetterberg has 3 more years, 6 mil. But he is their Henrik Sedin so it's not too bad. We thought we had it rough with the NTCs and such when Benning first came in, the only really bad contract was Lu's but that's just if he retires before it expires. I'd say they are still a few years behind us.

They're going to have to move some Nyquist's etc.

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Zetterberg has serious back issues and played through pain last year.  His agent recently told a Swedish paper that he didn't know if he will be able to play this coming season.

This was the Detroit Free Press yesterday: The Wings are discouraged that Zetterberg’s back may prevent him from playing again, as he has not been able to train much this summer. 

If he indeed can't play they'll have additional LTIR money available.  

5 hours ago, mll said:

Zetterberg has serious back issues and played through pain last year.  His agent recently told a Swedish paper that he didn't know if he will be able to play this coming season.

This was the Detroit Free Press yesterday: The Wings are discouraged that Zetterberg’s back may prevent him from playing again, as he has not been able to train much this summer. 

If he indeed can't play they'll have additional LTIR money available.  

LTIR money probably isn't the best way to manage cap, but that is some good news for them. Not for Zetterberg though. I really like him. Don't want his career to end via injury. 

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

They're going to have to move some Nyquist's etc.

Nyquist has 1 year left, which is why I didn't really mention him. But because of that he is the easiest to move. 28, 1 year left, good for 20 goals, decent enough cap hit. Saves them money in the short term, I imagine it'll all be short term fixes for the next 3 years while their awful deals expire. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Nyquist has 1 year left, which is why I didn't really mention him. But because of that he is the easiest to move. 28, 1 year left, good for 20 goals, decent enough cap hit. Saves them money in the short term, I imagine it'll all be short term fixes for the next 3 years while their awful deals expire. 

Yup ;) And my fantasy team will be happy to see him moved (hopefully to a contender) as well so I can maybe get something for him :lol:

Helm would be nice too :lol:

Archived