The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

71-year-old Sikh man attacked in California, police chief’s son charged

prix57

https://globalnews.ca/news/4378250/sikh-man-beaten-california/

A 71-year-old Sikh man from Northern California was beaten during his 6 a.m. morning walk on Monday by two suspects who have now been arrested.

Police in the city of Manteca are investigating the incident, which was caught on surveillance video, as a hate crime.

The attack left Sahib Singh Natt hospitalized with minor injuries, as the widely circulated video of the beating prompted outrage across the country.

The video shows two men confronting Natt, kicking and knocking him down. They continue to kick the elderly man once he’s fallen down. Natt is then left lying alone on the street.

It is suspected that the attackers also had a gun.

Among those expressing outrage was Union City Police Chief Darryl McAllister, who called it a “horrific crime.”

But that outrage turned to “disgust” for the police chief and his family, after McAllister’s 18-year-old son was named as one of the suspects.

Tyrone Keith McAllister and another 16-year-old are the accused in the crime, and have been charged.

They face charges of attempted robbery, elder abuse and assault with deadly weapons.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Natt doesn’t speak English, and recounted the event to police via an interpreter.

Manteca police spokesperson Sgt. Stephen Schluer said attackers asked Natt for “some type of money” before he was hit.

“The Sikh community is a tight-knit community and after the assault, the victim went to the community leaders and they brought him to the Police Department,” Schluer said, according to the newspaper.

McAllister also addressed the incident, and his son’s alleged involvement, in an open letter on the police department’s Facebook page.

“Words can barely describe how embarrassed, dejected, and hurt my wife, daughters, and I feel right now,” he wrote, explaining that his son has been “estranged” from the family for some time.

“Violence and hatred is not what we have taught our children; intolerance for others is not even in our vocabulary, let alone our values. Crime has never been an element of our household, our values, nor the character to which we hold ourselves.”

The police chief explained that he and his wife helped track their son down so that he could be arrested and charged.

He apologized to the community, and thanked those who have “expressed kindness” in the past few days.

“I pray that we, as a community, in conjunction with my family, can get through this and be even stronger as a result,” he wrote.

This incident is the second suspected hate crime involving a Sikh victim to occur in California in the past few days.

Detectives are still investigating the assault/hate crime incident involving a Sikh man in Keyes. No new suspect suspect info at this time.

Last week, a 50-year-old Sikh man named Surjit Malhi was beaten.

Malhi told CBS News that two men shouted at him, saying, “Go back to your country.”

“I’m American 100 per cent, no doubt, so they say, go back to my country? This is my country,” Malhi said.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

I can only imagine the pain and shame the chief felt but there is no place for this kind of crap anymore.  There are too many people on this planet for ignorant persons to be making statements like that let alone committing these acts of hostility.

Sad that this happened.  So cowardly to beat anyone let alone an elderly man.    Sick that it seems to be based upon race.  Sad it had to be "Sikh" versus simply "Man" and sadder yet that, once again, race is used when someone is a victim but PC galore if the perpetrator is a minority....I firmly believe this is part of what creates the BS in the first place.   

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sad that this happened.  So cowardly to beat anyone let alone an elderly man.    Sick that it seems to be based upon race.  Sad it had to be "Sikh" versus simply "Man" and sadder yet that, once again, race is used when someone is a victim but PC galore if the perpetrator is a minority....I firmly believe this is part of what creates the BS in the first place.   

It's being treated as a hate crime. So it is entirely appropriate to report him as a 'Sikh' rather than just a 'man'.

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You're giving people like that far too much credit towards their thought process.  For those kinds of people, the thought process is simply, "White is good.  Not white is not good".

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's being treated as a hate crime. So it is entirely appropriate to report him as a 'Sikh' rather than just a 'man'.

I get that....but is also a hate crime, for example, when someone shoots people of "some races" and not of others as was just evidences in Toronto.   In this case, there is no "the perps had mental health issues....." etc. etc.    It is immediately decreed a hate crime (which it clearly, and sickeningly, was) but why not the opposite?

2 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

You're giving people like that far too much credit towards their thought process.  For those kinds of people, the thought process is simply, "White is good.  Not white is not good".

So sad that I suspect you are correct.   So very, very sad.    We had dinner this past weekend with good friends who could easily be called "non-white, immigrants or whatever label you want to put on them" and during post-dinner too much drinking we got into some discussion about that concept and we all seemed to align around that so much of this comes down to fear - fear of losing something or fear of competition or simply fear of the unknown and we all also aligned that the one thing we do agree with those who hate media is that ALL sides of the media spectrum seemingly feed this fear unrelentingly and seemingly knowing exactly what they are doing all the while.

So much sadness in this world.   So much fear.

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I get that....but is also a hate crime, for example, when someone shoots people of "some races" and not of others as was just evidences in Toronto.   In this case, there is no "the perps had mental health issues....." etc. etc.    It is immediately decreed a hate crime (which it clearly, and sickeningly, was) but why not the opposite?

Hate crimes are targeted attacks. If someone is randomly attacking people of no specific race then it is not a hate crime.

If one person randomly attacks another then there are decent chances they could be mentally ill. If two people attack another there is far less chance they are mentally ill and are probably just a%%holes.

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Complaining about race being reported when the crime is suspected of being racially based?

5noHKsb.jpg

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hate crimes are targeted attacks. If someone is randomly attacking people of no specific race then it is not a hate crime.

If one person randomly attacks another then there are decent chances they could be mentally ill. If two people attack another there is far less chance they are mentally ill and are probably just a%%holes.

Targeting a race that isn't your own (or religion) isn't a hate crime?    It has to be specific to a single race/religion to qualify? 

I know these guys were a22holes and worse - no question.    Point is what if these two had been driving around shooting only non-whites.   Not a hate crime because it wasn't specific enough?  

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Complaining about race being reported when the crime was racially based?

5noHKsb.jpg

I am not complaining about race, I am simply saying  it is hate crime in either direction.....and curious why it isn't called out as such.

As this is now distracting from this sad beating to the point you have Ben Stiller's worst production being used as a meme, time to leave this one alone.   Hate crime is a hate crime - no matter how media portrays.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Targeting a race that isn't your own (or religion) isn't a hate crime?    It has to be specific to a single race/religion to qualify? 

I know these guys were a22holes and worse - no question.    Point is what if these two had been driving around shooting only non-whites.   Not a hate crime because it wasn't specific enough?  

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not complaining about race, I am simply saying  it is hate crime in either direction.....and curious why it isn't called out as such.

As this is now distracting from this sad beating to the point you have Ben Stiller's worst production being used as a meme, time to leave this one alone.   Hate crime is a hate crime - no matter how media portrays.

Been drinking tonight?

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So sad that I suspect you are correct.   So very, very sad.    We had dinner this past weekend with good friends who could easily be called "non-white, immigrants or whatever label you want to put on them" and during post-dinner too much drinking we got into some discussion about that concept and we all seemed to align around that so much of this comes down to fear - fear of losing something or fear of competition or simply fear of the unknown and we all also aligned that the one thing we do agree with those who hate media is that ALL sides of the media spectrum seemingly feed this fear unrelentingly and seemingly knowing exactly what they are doing all the while.

So much sadness in this world.   So much fear.

I say this at the risk of derailing the thread, but here goes: blaming the media or political correctness for incidents like this is a lazy, intellectual cop-out. 

The hard fact is that there has always been a segment of the white population in the Western world who stridently believe that being white does and should count for something; even if what that 'something' entails varies by degree.  That is nothing new. 

The only thing that is relatively new is that segment of the white population citing the media and political correctness as a rationale for that view.

4 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

I say this at the risk of derailing the thread, but here goes: blaming the media or political correctness for incidents like this is a lazy, intellectual cop-out. 

The hard fact is that there has always been a segment of the white population in the Western world who stridently believe that being white does and should count for something; even if what that 'something' entails varies by degree.  That is nothing new. 

The only thing that is relatively new is that segment of the white population citing the media and political correctness as a rationale for that view.

I'm assuming he's just trying to balance liberal bias by arguing a position he doesn't actually believe.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Rob, are you like this all the time or is it just for CDC?

I’m ok with calling this a hate crime for whatever my take on it counts for.

beating anyone like what happened here, especially an elderly man is obviously a deplorable act.

there is no denying however that the media can be counted on for labels - from the left or the right.  It’s the way it is nowadays.  

A 15 year old boy was beaten into a coma with a skateboard, robbed, and left for dead here on the island a couple

months ago.   He was white.  The two suspects both Non white.  The word “hate”was never used in the news surrounding this event.

for me, that doesn’t change how awful either event is.  But media slants are an issue admit it or not.

34 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

I guess some of us try to look past colours and stereotypes and view attempts at trying to paint any race as "wrong" or similar as equally hateful to the very ugly incident this thread is about.   I don't see how ANYONE can support what happened to this poor old guy.   Sucks.   Brutal and it does seem it is indeed a hate crime.   So why bother not calling it the same other times?   I don't consider it a cop out to want to see the world stop trying to manipulate sentiment through misguided media definitions of what is "right" and "wrong".    

Put it this way, if these two youths had been "pick a race" and the old guy been "pick non-minority immigrant race" then the headlines would be different and the discussion different - THAT is what I think is wrong.   Why can't the old guy simply be an old guy and the hate against him looked at as repugnant and because it WAS seemingly race based, the worst of the worst but also having the same indignation when the players are different?

Again, this has derailed the thread and was sincerely not my intention but the every media story comes during a week of something similar in my current neck of the woods and the media has done everything possible to label it differently.    I just think it sucks.   Seemingly I am the only one here that sees it that way.   So be it. 

Archived