The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crystal Ball The Contracts...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

For a lil' summer discussion, thought I'd get this thread rolling.

As per Capfriendly, we're in a nice cap-scenario(Finally!)..currently sitting about 23rd overall. TO & Winn will pass us soon, with big names they have to sign. So we'll likely sit about 25th(total cap expense, for 2018~19), as the season kicks off. About 10,000,000 $ of open space.

Let's all agree that our kids mostly impress, over the coming seasons(to make thread less complicated).Namely:

- QH is on par with Dumba, Pietrangelo, Werenski types for success(perhaps a beauty hybrid?)

- Brock becomes perrenial 40/80 guy

- Jake becomes a 50/60 pt pwf

- Olli becomes what a young Edler appeared to once be(ascending, but 5 mill level, let's say)

- Petterson hits Brock-level, in terms of skill/numbers

- Demko is certifiable, early-Schneids level, first few yrs. Legitimate starter

- Gaudette becomes something between Kesler & Kadri(style & pts)

All this raises a coupla' questions. At what point will a surging cast of excellent youth pose a cap-crunch issue?

A- What season will this problem kick in?

b- Anybody have contract $/term strategies that may best avert/delay the inevitable?

c - Will we eventually have to entertain trades, to keep recycling in high-level ELC's?

d- Lastly, what's the best example of a team that's simultaneously/affordably maintained depth & success? What lessons apply?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

As per Capfriendly, we're in a nice cap-scenario(Finally!)..currently sitting about 23rd overall. TO & Winn will pass us soon, with big names they have to sign. So we'll likely sit about 25th(total cap expense, for 2018~19), as the season kicks off. About 10,000,000 $ of open space.

Let's all agree that our kids mostly impress, over the coming seasons(to make thread less complicated).Namely:

- QH is on par with Dumba, Pietrangelo, Werenski types for success(perhaps a beauty hybrid?)

- Olli becomes what a young Edler appeared to once be(ascending, but 5 mill level, let's say)

All this raises a coupla' questions. At what point will a surging cast of excellent youth pose a cap-crunch issue?

b- Anybody have contract $/term strategies that may best avert/delay the inevitable?

c - Will we eventually have to entertain trades, to keep recycling in high-level ELC's?

d- Lastly, what's the best example of a team that's simultaneously/affordably maintained depth & success? What lessons apply?

A) I'd say we are in the clear for at least the next 3 years. Maybe longer, but that is when Pettersson and Hughes' ELCs will expire.

B - Hard to say, I'd throw max term at Boeser this year/next summer and hope you can get him for >7 million. Edler and Del Zotto are both UFAs next summer, potentially 8 mil coming off the books. I'd hope Del Zotto is gone at the deadline and Edler can be re-signed for less, maybe a Gudbranson contract of 4mil x 3 years?

Gagner, Nillsson, and a few others will be off the books and replaced (IMO) inhouse with cheaper ELCs, so I'd imagine we can still be around the 10 to 15 mil in cap space so we have room to work with Hughes and Pettersson.

I'd be more incline to give guys like Joulevi and Demko bridge deals

C) Maybe? We can do a decent job of filling out a lot of depth roster spots with ELCs. Eriksson is going to be biting us in the last couple years of his contract. We might have to give a rebuilding team a draft pick to take him off our hands.

D) I think Pittsburgh has done a good job. They have their best players locked in at reasonable prices and are cycling youth though the line up to fill complementary (and some prominant - Guntzel) roles.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We have 4 years before the first crunch...

That is when Bo will need to be re-upped, QH will need his first long term deal, OJ will have just started his, Brock will be 2 years into his next deal.

Jake is the key...if we can keep him developing slowly...maybe he gets signed for 4 x $4M or 6 x $4.5M and then turns into a bargain. (I wouldn't pay him that now, but he looks ready to make some moves this year)

I trust JB to get us through the next 4 years without to much of a squeeze.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We have 4 years before the first crunch...

That is when Bo will need to be re-upped, QH will need his first long term deal, OJ will have just started his, Brock will be 2 years into his next deal.

Jake is the key...if we can keep him developing slowly...maybe he gets signed for 4 x $4M or 6 x $4.5M and then turns into a bargain.

I trust JB to get us through the next 4 years without to much of a squeeze.

Bo is under contract for another 5 years

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/bo-horvat

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

...but think of all the CAP space if they are all busts......that will yield two great things, one will be the CAP space and two will be  you will seemingly finally be happy about something to do with the Canucks!   

The Power of Positive-Pessimism!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You guys are going to be so depressed when, like always, our prospects don't turn out nearly as good as hoped...

So you’re saying we are going to WAY OVERPAY our young guys, and suck lemons like the Oilers, and Sabres?  WRONG!  Our guys, led by Bo, will bring us at least two Stanley Cups in the coming decade.  

Four yrs on, & all kids storm outa' the gate...

Petterson - 8

Brock - 7.5(pipe dream?)

Hughes - 7

Demko - 6

Bo - 5.5(Thanks Bo!)

OJ - 5

Jake - 4.5

Gaudette - 4.5(say other C's limit his offense..does he have the humble character to accept scenario? Probably)

8 young, key guys

coming into prime yrs

Total - 48,000,000 AAV

Hopefully the cap keeps climbing higher. Since JB has emphasized good character with these kids, would say it's quite possible they'll find the ways to make the numbers work.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

since we're talking dream scenarios where everything works out...

what will the contact status of Tram be? assuming he comes back when he said he would, and is a solid top 4.. 

We can probably get Tram signed a couple yrs cheaply, since he's laying low in the gulag. By then we might be at war with the Russkies(who knows?!), due to dodgy dossiers by Hillarity & the gang.

The best persuasion for NT is if our team is rolling with talented youth.

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We can probably get Tram signed a couple yrs cheaply, since he's laying low in the gulag. By then we might be at war with the Russkies(who knows?!), due to dodgy dossiers by Hillarity & the gang.

The best persuasion for NT is if our team is rolling with talented youth

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The best persuasion for NT is if our team is rolling with talented youth.

true, true... 

so what's cheap then.. 3.5 per?

5 years from now dream:

Petter - 8

Brock - 8

this year's 1st (ahem Hughes) - 8

bo-ho - 8

jv - 4.5

q-hu - 6

oj - 4.5

demko - 6

gaud - 4.5

dahlen - 4

gadj - 2.5

lind - 3.5

tram 3.5

woo - 3

dipietro - 1.5

hmmm... and idea where the cap will sit in 5 years? lol.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

true, true... 

so what's cheap then.. 3.5 per?

5 years from now dream:

Petter - 8

Brock - 8

this year's 1st (ahem Hughes) - 8

bo-ho - 8

jv - 4.5

q-hu - 6

oj - 4.5

demko - 6

gaud - 4.5

dahlen - 4

gadj - 2.5

lind - 3.5

tram 3.5

woo - 3

dipietro - 1.5

hmmm... and idea where the cap will sit in 5 years? lol.

Reminds me of the scores I gave ex-gf's(outa 10)! Ya start low & monkey-branch high as possible :^)

• Haha 2