The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crystal Ball The Contracts...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Four yrs on, & all kids storm outa' the gate...

Petterson - 8

Brock - 7.5(pipe dream?)

Hughes - 7

Demko - 6

Bo - 5.5(Thanks Bo!)

OJ - 5

Jake - 4.5

Gaudette - 4.5(say other C's limit his offense..does he have the humble character to accept scenario? Probably)

8 young, key guys

coming into prime yrs

Total - 48,000,000 AAV

Hopefully the cap keeps climbing higher. Since JB has emphasized good character with these kids, would say it's quite possible they'll find the ways to make the numbers work.

assume a cap of 100 million

and throw another 7 million at that group (maybe not equally distributed)

and we'll have 45 million for the rest of the team

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

wow that's a lot of 8's! were some of those of the 'went to bed with an 8, woke up with a 2' variety? bwah!

I realize we're just throwing around silly speculation-numbers, but you're up to about 75 mill/15 guys. Hopefully our books are clean of all hassles(eg: Luongo thing)

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I realize we're just throwing around silly speculation-numbers, but you're up to about 75 mill/15 guys. Hopefully our books are clean of all hassles(eg: Luongo thing)

yah that was my point with the cap.. obviously I'd make a lousy gm.. everyone gets a raise!

amazing how teams like Chi and Edm manage to put it together with a couple of massive contracts.. 

Just now, Glug Datt said:

yah that was my point with the cap.. obviously I'd make a lousy gm.. everyone gets a raise!

amazing how teams like Chi and Edm manage to put it together with a couple of massive contracts.. 

Having a bunch of buds(similarly aged) that mesh well, prob plays a bigger role than we all realize. They all seem like pretty good blokes. Hopefully some take 10~20% cuts(negotiating deals) to keep the core intact.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

We have 4 years before the first crunch...

That is when Bo will need to be re-upped, QH will need his first long term deal, OJ will have just started his, Brock will be 2 years into his next deal.

Jake is the key...if we can keep him developing slowly...maybe he gets signed for 4 x $4M or 6 x $4.5M and then turns into a bargain. (I wouldn't pay him that now, but he looks ready to make some moves this year)

I trust JB to get us through the next 4 years without to much of a squeeze.

I read on TSN about 6 months ago Before the most recent signings. That the Nucks had with the cap expected to go up again next year close to 40 mill. I never checked cap friendly myself, but before the signings of Jake Beagle Sven etc. Plus quite a few vets come off the books it sounded high but not terribly high, considering most of our players will be on ELC,s. 

Regardless I think yet another think JB doesn't get enough credit for is how well compared to a team like the leafs Wings-Hawks Jets etc is how he has managed the cap since the contracts of the old core have come off the books. People call him dim Jim. So disrespectful for one and two totally false. Love to live in a world where someone is made fun of because they are socially awkward. Could be anxiety a bit of a speech impediment? Who knows But to make fun of that is no different than making fun of someone with downs..One of the reasons I closed my old account. Quim got me back tho lol. 

Sorry got sidetracked I apologize. I think JB has put us in a great spot cap wise for the next 5 years at least. Keeping in mind The NHL is finally getting some traction in the states. I think a lot of that is due to all the negativity surrounding the NFL. Who are seeing record drops in attendance and viewership? 

The Bo contract is looking really good right now,  and if he can lock up Brock for 8 years at 8.5 it may look high now but Brock is one of the players I would have no doubt gambling on. Once all the rest of our Rooks are due for raises were in good shape unlike the Jets since it hit them all at once. Our contracts seem to be a little more staggard I also think by March Edler, Tanev, Sutter 50% retained are all traded at the tdl for 1sts. Tanev if healthy is a no-brainer. Edler is exactly the kind of D you need for a long playoff run. I think he would be worth more with possibly an extension in place. Sutter again if healthy is someone i would love to have on my playoff tea. So underrated here. Throw in Nilsson Zotto. Gags, and we gotta be in the top 5 going forward with the cap.  JB has done a good job in that regard. Again sorry for the long-winded version. been a year away. and so much I want to say.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Having a bunch of buds(similarly aged) that mesh well, prob plays a bigger role than we all realize. They all seem like pretty good blokes. Hopefully some take 10~20% cuts(negotiating deals) to keep the core intact.

Agreed. I would say Bo already did that. Brock will never forget what JB did for his family by burning a year of his ELC. FOR the chance to make 93 grand and let his poor Mom take of her dying Husband instead of working 2 jobs. JB truly is all class. Even when he trades players. He tries his best to send them to places they want to go. 

It also helps that every player he has drafted. Seems to be just bursting with class. And I love the fact that he was the first gm to really jump head first into drafting College players. Of course, they will sign here. They all have friends or kids that played in the same systems.  Maybe it's just me. But our prospects all seem to want to be here. Maybe but it seems like all of our prospects like most of us. See something special being built here and may take a bit of a discount to keep this core together.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

true, true... 

so what's cheap then.. 3.5 per?

5 years from now dream:

Petter - 8

Brock - 8

this year's 1st (ahem Hughes) - 8

bo-ho - 8

jv - 4.5

q-hu - 6

oj - 4.5

demko - 6

gaud - 4.5

dahlen - 4

gadj - 2.5

lind - 3.5

tram 3.5

woo - 3

dipietro - 1.5

hmmm... and idea where the cap will sit in 5 years? lol.

Talking to one of my friends on Wednesday, who plays for every Canucks fan least favourite team, and he was talking about how if hockey continues to grow in popularity, both globally and in the US, he predicts there will be cap hits of 15-20 million in 5-8 years. 

He was saying they are following the NBA approach which is why they are pushing so hard on the China preseason games, etc. increase sponsorship, grow the game, which essentially helps grow the cap.

On the note of the actual thread topic I would love to see all these prospects reach their potential and get paid for it... especially if they all stay Canucks. 

• 4 months later...

I’m on team tank, so it is interesting figuring out how many topend players a team can have and still have money for quality role players. 

Im not smart enough nor do I have the brain power to figure the percentages. 

Its a fine line when your team becomes cup contenders and harder after winning.

role players get moved cuz you can’t afford them. 

• Upvote 1

I'm curious how the Bo contract will have an effect or not. Bo's deal is incredibly team friendly at this point. Does Benning negotiate contracts around this (no one should be getting more than our best player type thing) or does Benning have to negotiate based on the league? Boeser may be able to get up to 8 million a season or more comparatively to the league, but if I were to have it relative to Bo, then he's looking at maybe 6-6.5 million a season. This will have a huge impact towards building a winner with depth.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm curious how the Bo contract will have an effect or not. Bo's deal is incredibly team friendly at this point. Does Benning negotiate contracts around this (no one should be getting more than our best player type thing) or does Benning have to negotiate based on the league? Boeser may be able to get up to 8 million a season or more comparatively to the league, but if I were to have it relative to Bo, then he's looking at maybe 6-6.5 million a season. This will have a huge impact towards building a winner with depth.

Well arbitration would look league wide if a player decided to go that route. But, it's very likely most guys won't do that and so Bo's discounted contract will help the team in negotiations. 

4 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Well arbitration would look league wide if a player decided to go that route. But, it's very likely most guys won't do that and so Bo's discounted contract will help the team in negotiations. 

I don't think RFAs have arbitration rights until their 3rd contract or something like that (don't know all the details), and that's why Nylander couldn't take it to arbitration (probably to his benefit). With that said, I wouldn't lowball our players and piss them off, but I wonder when our young guys have to extend if they will look at Bo's deal and try to help build a team.

I look at Virtanen's bridge deal as another example of a great team friendly deal because if he doesn't perform, then it won't take much to qualify him. He will likely get a major raise anyway, but he banked on himself to improve (which he has). I have a feeling his next contract will still look like a pretty good bargain.

Guys like Boeser and Gaudette who preach loyalty and commitment to their teams (and strong family values) just seem like guys that aren't going to cripple the team with bad contracts either. But then again, they did go the route of locking in their contracts earlier to burn a year to get to their next contract sooner. The question is will they take less money long term since we allowed for that to happen or are they eyeing the dollar signs earlier for a payout. We will see.

I'm curious about Pettersson. We haven't had a player like him in quite some time. He also has 2 more years (+the remainder of this season) to see how he progresses. He's certainly going to be paid well at the rate he's going and if he can get bigger and stronger as well, look out. Hopefully we make the playoffs next year and have a more serious run the year after before Pettersson's ELC runs out and real questions will have to be ask about the long term future. If Hughes signs before the end of this season, his contract would run out at the same time as Pettersson as well.

Another factor to consider is goal scoring has gone up league wide, so even though for example Boeser is a PPG guy currently, he's around 45th in the league. Does that mean he should be paid like one of the top players in the league (for those thinking he might get 9-10 million a season)? I think this will be an interesting topic for arbitrators (although, they usually just split the difference between the two negotiating parties anyway).

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think RFAs have arbitration rights until their 3rd contract or something like that (don't know all the details), and that's why Nylander couldn't take it to arbitration (probably to his benefit). With that said, I wouldn't lowball our players and piss them off, but I wonder when our young guys have to extend if they will look at Bo's deal and try to help build a team.

I look at Virtanen's bridge deal as another example of a great team friendly deal because if he doesn't perform, then it won't take much to qualify him. He will likely get a major raise anyway, but he banked on himself to improve (which he has). I have a feeling his next contract will still look like a pretty good bargain.

Guys like Boeser and Gaudette who preach loyalty and commitment to their teams (and strong family values) just seem like guys that are going to cripple the team with bad contracts either. But then again, they did go the route of locking in their contracts earlier to burn a year to get to their next contract sooner. The question is will they take less money long term since we allowed for that to happen or are they eyeing the dollar signs earlier for a payout. We will see.

I'm curious about Pettersson. We haven't had a player like him in quite some time. He also has 2 more years (+the remainder of this season) to see how he progresses. He's certainly going to be paid well at the rate he's going and if he can get bigger and stronger as well, look out. Hopefully we make the playoffs next year and have a more serious run the year after before Pettersson's ELC runs out and real questions will have to be ask about the long term future. If Hughes signs before the end of this season, his contract would run out at the same time as Pettersson as well.

Another factor to consider is goal scoring has gone up league wide, so even though for example Boeser is a PPG guy currently, he's around 45th in the league. Does that mean he should be paid like one of the top players in the league (for those thinking he might get 9-10 million a season)? I think this will be an interesting topic for arbitrators (although, they usually just split the difference between the two negotiating parties anyway).

Ah, I didn't think about the fact they wouldn't be able to go to arbitration. Bo's contract should be even more of a benefit then. I think everyone knows what he brings to the team and considers him as a leader, so I feel intrinsically many will follow suit and sign a bargain contract. 

Gaudette is a solid player but probably a ways from a payout. Which isn't a bad thing. I could see his contracts following a similar path to Virt's. 

Pettersson will be interesting as he has to reup on the last year of Loui's $6M deal.. will he be convinced to sign a 2 year bridge because of that and then cash in on his next contact?? Not something you see often with a player of his caliber, but may work a lot better for the team. 

Edited by 'NucK™

23 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Ah, I didn't think about the fact they wouldn't be able to go to arbitration. Bo's contract should be even more of a benefit then. I think everyone knows what he brings to the team and considers him as a leader, so I feel intrinsically many will follow suit and sign a bargain contract. 

Gaudette is a solid player but probably a ways from a payout. Which isn't a bad thing. I could see his contracts following a similar path to Virt's. 

Pettersson will be interesting as he has to reup on the last year of Loui's $6M deal.. will he be convinced to sign a 2 year bridge because of that and then cash in on his next contact?? Not something you see often with a player of his caliber, but may work a lot better for the team. 

Well this is what I hoping will happen in that the players brought in (Benning looks at good character) will be on the same page and manage deals that pay them well, while also thinking about the team in the long term.

I agree that Gaudette won't be looking for a big payout yet, but I was just pointing out that he seems like a good character guy that cares about his team and is very loyal, so hopefully that translates into reasonable contracts in the near and long term future.

I don't think Pettersson will bridge based on what he's proving this year and if he remains consistent or even improves in the next couple of years. He will be paid, but to what extent? I think there will be enough contracts up (and hopefully some draft picks coming in on cheap contracts) that Loui's contract won't have a major impact.