The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crystal Ball The Contracts...

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Crystal Ball...the new CBA restricts contract lengths to 6 years so more teams can make the playoffs/ As t stands now Olly's 9.5 mil per year doesn't look so bad but if they had to resign him last year he would be getting McDavid money.^_^

The league will work the contracts so teams can not become dynasties of even repeat appearances. Not good for overall business.:shock:

The draft will go back to something like the McDavid draft where the bottom three are in one draw and the rest in another, there will be term requirements not just on tank and there.:towel:

There will be a "franchise" player clause.:o

There will be a lost year so contracts will be affected in some way(s).:picard:

I see a poster praised Benning for wasting 35 million dollars by spending to the cap for the now worst team in the league over the last three years and this year so far. I lot of hype over the modest run of games, great to see the young kids playing (Benning you were wrong again about them needing to play in the AHL).

I hope Benning isn't let near a pen when the next contracts are signed.:lol:

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Crystal Ball...the new CBA restricts contract lengths to 6 years so more teams can make the playoffs/ As t stands now Olly's 9.5 mil per year doesn't look so bad but if they had to resign him last year he would be getting McDavid money.^_^

The league will work the contracts so teams can not become dynasties of even repeat appearances. Not good for overall business.:shock:

The draft will go back to something like the McDavid draft where the bottom three are in one draw and the rest in another, there will be term requirements not just on tank and there.:towel:

There will be a "franchise" player clause.:o

There will be a lost year so contracts will be affected in some way(s).:picard:

I see a poster praised Benning for wasting 35 million dollars by spending to the cap for the now worst team in the league over the last three years and this year so far. I lot of hype over the modest run of games, great to see the young kids playing (Benning you were wrong again about them needing to play in the AHL).

I hope Benning isn't let near a pen when the next contracts are signed.:lol:

what-color-is-the-sky-in-your-world-are-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

In 5 years?

Pettersson - 10M
Boeser - 7.5M

Horvat 5.5M

Juolevi 4.5M

Hughes - 6M

Demko - 4M

Gaudette - 3M

Virtanen - 4.25M

Goldobin - 4.25M

Tryamkin - 3.5M

Di Pietro - 2M 

That's only 55.25M on a probable 85ishM cap. Depending on the other talent, they look fine for whats likely to be NHL bound or is already there.

One advantage we have with Pettersson's contract year is that we also have the expansion draft so we may offload a little bit of salary such as Beagle or Eriksson leaving more wiggle room. That said I don't see us having any salary cap issues for the forseeable future. Bo's contract helps us immensely and we have a lot of cost controlled contracts sitting in the bottom six for the forseeable future. 

The only worry I have is Benning signing more than one expensive UFA. THEN we may have some salary cap issues.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

In 5 years?

Pettersson - 10M
Boeser - 7.5M

Horvat 5.5M

Juolevi 4.5M

Hughes - 6M

Demko - 4M

Gaudette - 3M

Virtanen - 4.25M

Goldobin - 4.25M

Tryamkin - 3.5M

Di Pietro - 2M 

That's only 55.25M on a probable 85ishM cap. Depending on the other talent, they look fine for whats likely to be NHL bound or is already there.

That would be easily-digestible. You got half a roster here, & it's a good one at that. If we keep numbers within these limits, we'd be golden.

24 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In 5 years?

Pettersson - 10M+
Boeser - 7.5M to 8M

Horvat 5.5M - 7.5/8M

Juolevi 4.5M

Hughes - 6M - ?

Demko - 6M

Gaudette - 3M

Virtanen - 4.25M - 5.5M

Goldobin - 4.25M

Tryamkin - 3.5M - 6.5M

Di Pietro - 3M 

Where's Juolevi going?

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, EmilyM said:

If all our prospects hit their potential, then this scenario is a problem I would gladly have.

That's what would be happening if GMJB continues to find gems in all years in the future and endless supplies of prospects would help this team to maintain their power if it should come.   Once prospects pan out, we wouldn't shell out top dollars for bottom 6 players like we are doing right now.   The strategy of paying top dollars to bottom 6 is paying off, it allows their top 6 grow into a scoring lines and by the time the prospects that is designed to play at the bottom 6 roles would come cheap and within the system with all RFA players staying in the club.   Bottom 6 are easily replaceable but top 6 and top 4D are harder to replace.   Top dollars should go to players that is harder to replace like for example: Petterson, Boeser, Horvat, etc.  If prospect pool should fail then we continue to search the bottom 6  UFA vets and pay them top dollar to give our prospect time to develop.  The strategy that GMJB is doing appears to be working well without becoming like Edmonton Oilers.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 8:57 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Four yrs on, & all kids storm outa' the gate...

Petterson - 8

Brock - 7.5(pipe dream?)

Hughes - 7

Demko - 6

Bo - 5.5(Thanks Bo!)

OJ - 5

Jake - 4.5

Gaudette - 4.5(say other C's limit his offense..does he have the humble character to accept scenario? Probably)

8 young, key guys

coming into prime yrs

Total - 48,000,000 AAV

Hopefully the cap keeps climbing higher. Since JB has emphasized good character with these kids, would say it's quite possible they'll find the ways to make the numbers work.

Bumping this 2018 summer idle chatter, despite rather outdated(to put it mildly). Obviously EP arrived better than we'd all expected. & poor OJ had a rough yr But for Cdn teams, I'd say getting your KEY 7, 8 core-best signed to a reasonable cap, is more important than ever.

Kindly the Maple Fleas have given us a (Free) blueprint on how not to do it. They've got 4 snotty nosed, offensive punks wrapping up almost half their cap!

Cal: Another good example. Had their books in order, so they foolishly got frivolous with a lump like J Neal.

Mtl: Fortunately their last yr of transactions has been much better; sooner or later the SW, CP contracts will take a BIGG bite outa' their cap-azz

WINN: Were really well set, & appeared perhaps the best of the bunch(up 'til last summer?). Now I'd say it looks they've dragged their feet on too many RFA/stars, & will consequently have them held to the fire. I think they'll be forced into a few draft/summer moves, & will likely lose value accordingly.

We're in pretty good shape in this area, but would be wise to learn lessons from some Cdn competitors.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bumping this 2018 summer idle chatter, despite rather outdated(to put it mildly). Obviously EP arrived better than we'd all expected. & poor OJ had a rough yr But for Cdn teams, I'd say getting your KEY 7, 8 core-best signed to a reasonable cap, is more important than ever.

Kindly the Maple Fleas have given us a (Free) blueprint on how not to do it. They've got 4 snotty nosed, offensive punks wrapping up almost half their cap!

Cal: Another good example. Had their books in order, so they foolishly got frivolous with a lump like J Neal.

Mtl: Fortunately their last yr of transactions has been much better; sooner or later the SW, CP contracts will take a BIGG bite outa' their cap-azz

WINN: Were really well set, & appeared perhaps the best of the bunch(up 'til last summer?). Now I'd say it looks they've dragged their feet on too many RFA/stars, & will consequently have them held to the fire. I think they'll be forced into a few draft/summer moves, & will likely lose value accordingly.

We're in pretty good shape in this area, but would be wise to learn lessons from some Cdn competitors.

This is what Gilles were good at. Getting the stars to sign low cost deals... but it costs NMC’s and NTC’s..... something for something. 

Now will be the time for Benning to show he can continue to get our stars to sign up for good deals (of course not to rob them blind). 

He’s drafted decent, and sign Bo to a good contract. 

Now the real test comes. How to get as many stars as possible signed, while still staying under the cap...

i

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is what Gilles were good at. Getting the stars to sign low cost deals... but it costs NMC’s and NTC’s..... something for something. 

Now will be the time for Benning to show he can continue to get our stars to sign up for good deals (of course not to rob them blind). 

He’s drafted decent, and sign Bo to a good contract. 

Now the real test comes. How to get as many stars as possible signed, while still staying under the cap...

i

With MG's period, there's always the uniqueness of having the twins(their dedication to team & town). this likely influenced other talent to drift in(like FA Hamhuis), & probably plays a part in getting vets to sign a little cheaper. It was a window of time, & in fairness, was partly created by previous GM's, all the way back to Pat Quinn.

But we have to assume the org(owners/JB from distance & anecdotes) gained a lot of knowledge/experience in team building from that window of time. I'll venture that the twins(especially) left a legacy that'll be adopted by the next generation(led by Bo). I'll also speculate it played a part in the team(when JB started) stating how big of a factor character is, in choosing young prospects/FA's/trade-targets.

I think these guys know how to do it right..it's just a matter of patience waiting for the kids to develop, & the right FA's/trades to be available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

With MG's period, there's always the uniqueness of having the twins(their dedication to team & town). this likely influenced other talent to drift in(like FA Hamhuis), & probably plays a part in getting vets to sign a little cheaper. It was a window of time, & in fairness, was partly created by previous GM's, all the way back to Pat Quinn.

But we have to assume the org(owners/JB from distance & anecdotes) gained a lot of knowledge/experience in team building from that window of time. I'll venture that the twins(especially) left a legacy that'll be adopted by the next generation(led by Bo). I'll also speculate it played a part in the team(when JB started) stating how big of a factor character is, in choosing young prospects/FA's/trade-targets.

I think these guys know how to do it right..it's just a matter of patience waiting for the kids to develop, & the right FA's/trades to be available.

Yeah it would be magical, if you’re right as having players buy into the dream, goes a long way in achieving it. 

Getting these huge contracts Makes it harder to assemble a proper contender. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Contract levels combined with Seattle's expansion rip off, er draft. This will be something for JB to captain us through. I think we're losing someone we like. 

Factoring in the fat we trimmed last ED, just one piece shouldn't kill us, HK.

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2018 at 3:11 PM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

You guys are going to be so depressed when, like always, our prospects don't turn out nearly as good as hoped...

Plus thinking, we can afford a bunch of elites and the cap says no to that, what if it doesn't go up by as much as we'd hope... 

And if all our prospects did turn out we'd have the same problem as tor and edm not being able to sign much of a supporting cast after signing the elites, and when they get injured or don't perform as projected, oooops!