The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for the 2018-2019 Vancouver Canucks to make the playoffs?

Yung1

It's certainly a possibility.

I'm not as optimistic as some years past... however, there's certainly plenty of reason to be optimistic.

We have a lot of young kids poised to break out. If some of them can step up and grab the reigns, this team could go on a Cinderella run this year.

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

It's certainly a possibility.

I'm not as optimistic as some years past... however, there's certainly plenty of reason to be optimistic.

We have a lot of young kids poised to break out. If some of them can step up and grab the reigns, this team could go on a Cinderella run this year.

This year will be fun.  The year after will be when we see what the team can really do.

The pressure will be on Benning this year coming up: if the loss of the Sedins is not more than compensated for by the gain of Pettersson and a couple more youth (Dahlen or Gaudette, maybe Lind, maybe Leipsic?) there will trouble.  If Juolevi doesn't make the team?  More trouble.  Not for the team/the players who will be better by 2019-2020, but for Benning.

Baertschi (50pts) - Horvat (70pts) - Boeser (80pts)

Petterssen (55pts) - Sutter (40pts) - Eriksson (40pts)

Goldobin/Leipsic (35pts) - Gaudette (35pts) - Virtanen (30pts)
Roussel (20pts) - Beagle (20pts) - Schaller (20pts)

Gagner (20pts)

Edler (40pts ) - Tanev (20pts)

Hutton (25pts) - Stecher (30pts)
Del Zotto (30pts) - Gudbranson (15pts)

Markstrom - 2.5 GAA .915 Sv%

Demko - 2.4 GAA .918 Sv%

Botchford and Willes etc. have been saying without the Sedins (and Vanek), the Canucks won't score enough goals. I beg to differ.

Last year:

Henrik - 3

Daniel - 23

Vanek - 17

That's 43 goals between 3 of them. Not a very elite year, if you ask me.

I think Boeser covers this himself, then they add Pettersson, an improved Virtanen and the new gritty veterans. If the goaltending doesn't perform well, then I think Demko gets a shot, and I think he'll do well. Hutton has a chance to re-start his career, so to speak. So, he may come back a better Dman. A full year of Gudbranson would be nice too.  

This team needs about 80 goals from thin air to make the playoffs.

Granlund needs to wake up from his slumber.

Eriksson needs to get back to being that 60 point guy.

EP needs to have a Calder winning season.

The goalies need to be much better.

The entire defense corps needs to SHOOT THE PUCK.

There is a lot that has to come together to make this team squeak in.

Many players had terrible seasons last year and have nowhere to go but up.

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Botchford and Willes etc. have been saying without the Sedins (and Vanek), the Canucks won't score enough goals. I beg to differ.

Last year:

Henrik - 3

Daniel - 23

Vanek - 17

I think Boeser covers this himself, then they add Pettersson, an improved Virtanen and the new gritty veterans. If the goaltending doesn't perform well, then I think Demko gets a shot, and I think he'll do well. Hutton has a chance to re-start his career, so to speak. So, he may come back a better Dman. A full year of Gudbranson would be nice too.  

And better defending... which means having the puck more, chasing less presumably.  Vegas defended with speed last year, hopefully we can do some of that this year.

Pettersson and either of Dahlen or Gaudette, = 30 goals, plus more opportunity for all the offensive players who stood in line behind the Sedins. 

Even if we score 15 goals less... we will give up 25 less.

Canucks players with last season's goals in (_), and what I think they could realistically get next year.

Virtanen (10) - 20

Leipsic (3) - 10

Boeser (29) - 40

Pettersson (n/a) - 25

Horvat (22) - 30

Baertschi (14) - 20

Sutter (11) - 15

Eriksson (10) - 15

Gagner (10) - 15

Granlund (8) - 15

51 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Last year:

Henrik - 3

Daniel - 23

Vanek - 17

It is not Hanks goals that will be missed. He was still close to 50 assists.  Who is our play making center?

Who is going to move the puck from the back end. Hughes could have been a game changer.

One more year of struggling.  This year will be a big adjustment for some of the kids. 

Could be a lot to be excited about but it might not translate to wins.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

It is not Hanks goals that will be missed. He was still close to 50 assists.  Who is our play making center?

Who is going to move the puck from the back end. Hughes could have been a game changer.

One more year of struggling.  This year will be a big adjustment for some of the kids. 

Your vision of the reality is not  what the summer canucks crowd wants to hear........

Like when you go to the Doctor and he tells you that you are 75 lbs .  overweight... / daily junk food diet you do is not smart.....high blood pressure and that you really need to quit smoking 2 packs per day.....

Sometimes the reality is painful........  

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Twins plus Vanek were around minus 60 together, and that was with super protected and cherry ice time.  I see us being a much better team without those three.  

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I noticed last year the Canucks had 11 OT losses and lost all 5 shootouts. Henrik Sedin scored a whopping 3 goals all last year.

I'm thinking, with Pettersson and a full year of Boeser, an improved Virtanen, the Canucks could really improve their OTs and shootouts. Those extra points add up.

How Virtanen didn't get three on three ice time after the All Star break was beyond belief.

This will have to change, Jake is a natural for OT!

1 minute ago, 6string said:

How Virtanen didn't get three on three ice time after the All Star break was beyond belief.

This will have to change, Jake is a natural for OT!

Green saw Jake easily out race McDavid in the three on three at the end of last year.  Jake will play in the three on three OT for sure.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just awoke to this..has anyone solved this mystery yet? Now houses of holy tracks & misspelled titles are clogging my morning thought. Need morning coffee...

makr th....get er done  break on thru to the other side .

52 minutes ago, gameburn said:

And better defending... which means having the puck more, chasing less presumably.  Vegas defended with speed last year, hopefully we can do some of that this year.

Pettersson and either of Dahlen or Gaudette, = 30 goals, plus more opportunity for all the offensive players who stood in line behind the Sedins. 

Even if we score 15 goals less... we will give up 25 less.

Vegas attacked with speed also thus gaining more power plays.

The gain in the power plays could help off set the loss of the twins goals. I dont see a big dropoff on the power play if Petterson can do his thing and they can get the puck to Boeser.

I agree the defensive game should be better.

I actually meant for this post to be a lot more elaborate, but i was doing it on my phone and accidentally published it before it was completed.

I was going to mock up reasonable but optimistic point/goal totals for an estimate of total goals for and compare them to last years playoff teams. I had completed a bit of it. It might not be as much a miracle as some of you think. 

Im just out right now. When i get home tonight ill complete and post what i had in mind.

Archived