The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for the 2018-2019 Vancouver Canucks to make the playoffs?

Yung1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

now that's a convincing grasp of 'reality'.

Lost two players - 37 yrs old - who would have doubled their production of last year in their prime.

2.3 and 2.4 on ice goals for per 60, 8th and 10th on the team

3.3 and 3.2 goals against = worst and 2nd worst on the team.

74% ozone starts.

Sorry, but they are HOFers based on their prime, not what the team is losing at this point.

And the team was a lottery pick team.  

But we'll be sure to heed your warnings about lowering our 'expectations' haha.

Don't expect you to attempt to grasp that, but your own spin is weaker than the 'reality'.   The Sedins were not what they used to be.  That they retired might serve as a hint.

Those stats don't tell the truth.   Hank and Danny faced top opposition and combined with crappy Canuck D  were in for a pretty tough year statistically... 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Our division is pretty bad.  Vegas and San Jose will make playoffs no matter what.  Anaheim, LA are bubble teams.  Calgary, Edmonton, and Arizona don't belong in the NHL, let alone the playoffs.

If our defense plays well and Clark's able to get our goalies to play decent, we could sneak in at #3 if both bubble teams falter.  We'd also need a Calder season from Pettersson, Virt to break out, and Boeser to get even more dangerous.

It won't happen, but we will be competitive most nights.

Yah right...  Calgary has a very strong team this year..  Don't kid yourself...

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah right...  Calgary has a very strong team this year..  Don't kid yourself...

Not a chance.  Terrible goaltending, lazy  floaters in Gaudreau and Monahan, a locker room cancer in Tkachuk, and the worst coach in the NHL besides Julien.  That team is absolute trash and will implode big-time, just like last season.

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Lost two  Hall of Fame players...   add 4th liners...

I don't see that as adding to our club... no matter how you people try to spin it.

I think Legalization of Weed may help some of you deal with the reality of this upcoming season though...

Except the Sedins weren't replaced by 4th liners... 

2 of:

Gaudette

Leipsic

Goldobin

Virtanen

Pettersson 

Will be their replacements, you know all those youth you've whined about not getting a shot...

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

2 of:

Gaudette

Leipsic

Goldobin

Virtanen

Pettersson 

Will be their replacements, you know all those youth you've whined about not getting a shot...

Bingo.  UFAs replaced Dowd, Chaput, and Dorsett.

I actually meant for this post to be a lot more elaborate, but i was doing it on my phone and accidentally published it before it was completed. Ive updated the OP with the content i intended to be there initially.

I'll copy and paste what i added below as well.

The following are what i believe to be optimistic, but realistic, goal totals for next season.

Horvat - 30

Petterson 30

Boeser 45

Baertschi 20

Goldobin 20

Virtanen 20

Line 3 - 45

Line 4 - 15

Juolevi - 5

Tanev - 3

Edler - 5

Stecher - 3

Gudbranson - 2

Del zotto - 5

Other - 5

This outcome has us at 253 goals. That would be more goals than 5 of last years playoff teams. It relies on horvat and boeser improving slightly over last season, pettersson coming in and doing what many believe he is capable of (including being a fantastic playmaker and increasing the goal totals of those around him), and having a deep top 9 (players like leipsic, granlund, erikson, and gaudette could all spend time on line 3 and have offensive potential).

Of course, defense is a huge part of the equation and somewhere where we faultered last year.

The following gives potential for improvement in GAA.

- juolevi slots in and proves to be a great improvement over last years version on hutton.

- stecher and gudbranson have yet to reach their prime and each had great reason to be motivated and put in a big summer. Both have potential to make big strides over last season.

- revamped bottom 6 gives us better "team defence" and improves our extremely inadequate pk. We could turn out to have a top pk this year.

I think that those 3 things could have us allowing 20-30 less goals next season. Theres even an outside chance demko emerges and gives us an improvement in net, though chances are our goaltending is similar to last season.

If we score 253 goals and let in 20-30 less, our differential could sit at +10 to +20 (264 GA last year). Last season there were 3 playoff teams with a differential below +10 and 6 with a differential of +20 and below (including the stanley cup winning caps at +20)

While it is still unlikely, i do believe we have a POTENTIAL playoff contender for the 2018/2019 season

*que dumb and dumber meme*

I'm saying theres a chance.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks players with last season's goals in (_), and what I think they could realistically get next year.

Virtanen (10) - 20

Leipsic (3) - 10

Boeser (29) - 40

Pettersson (n/a) - 25

Horvat (22) - 30

Baertschi (14) - 20

Sutter (11) - 15

Eriksson (10) - 15

Gagner (10) - 15

Granlund (8) - 15

+88 is a LOT.  Zero D on this list too, and they were by FAR the most impotent part of this team last year.

47 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Those stats don't tell the truth.   Hank and Danny faced top opposition and combined with crappy Canuck D  were in for a pretty tough year statistically... 

Haha.  

The team might not reach the heights they did last year!   Real harbinger material.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Lost two  Hall of Fame players...   add 4th liners...

I don't see that as adding to our club... no matter how you people try to spin it.

I think Legalization of Weed may help some of you deal with the reality of this upcoming season though...

I'm not sure which story I like more KOS.  That drama, or....this one where you appear to be slurring your words....

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

It was a mistake bringing in UFA 's to prop up a 30th place team so it could finish 25th.....

A mistake - to 'replace the Sedins with a 4th line'?.....that was supposed to make them that much worse than they were with the Sedins.... If that adds up for you, maybe you've been hitting the bong a bit hard.

Apparently you're pretty hung up on short term results, one way and the other ;).   Good luck with whichever one you choose, or both - hey, that way you've covered both potential drama angles.

I don't think you're getting the basics here tbh - that the short term results matters that much.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Bingo.  UFAs replaced Dowd, Chaput, and Dorsett.

Dowd and Chaput were hardly used. The three ufa's from this year will get ice time. Lots of it. All they needed to do is replace Dorsett.  Now we have two highly payed vets that will eat up a lot of ice time. Both with four year deals. Add LE to that and 3 spots are full. Gagner needs to go.  I have a hard time thinking that owners will be happy with him playing in Utica at 3 mil.

Schaller will also make the team. 

Not much offense in that group.

That doesn't look like a highly skilled youth movement. 

So I guess it will all come down to Pettersson!  No pressure there!

His job will be to make up for the Sedins. 

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Dowd and Chaput were hardly used. The three ufa's from this year will get ice time. Lots of it. All they needed to do is replace Dorsett.  Now we have two highly payed vets that will eat up a lot of ice time. Both with four year deals. Add LE to that and 3 spots are full. Gagner needs to go.  I have a hard time thinking that owners will be happy with him playing in Utica at 3 mil.

Schaller will also make the team. 

Not much offense in that group.

That doesn't look like a highly skilled youth movement. 

So I guess it will all come down to Pettersson!  No pressure there!

His job will be to make up for the Sedins. 

We ran last year with a shambles of a 4th line.  Having a dependable 4th line who can be trusted in defensive situations allows the kids to play in more offensive situations and make the occasional youthful mistake.  Green will be able to set up our youth to succeed.  Fourth line and PK is hardly "eating up a lot of icetime".  Would you rather have Horvat kill penalties?  While I don't particularly want Gagner, it makes zero financial difference to ownership where he plays if the guy who's replacing him is on a one-way contract.  Worst case scenario, the difference is under a million.  Aquilini isn't known for being cheap; I highly doubt he'd care.

The rest of the kids will be call-ups when the inevitable injuries hit.  We'll finally have someone exciting coming in instead of Megna, Chaput, or Boucher.  And they'll be hungry to show they belong because they weren't gifted a roster spot.

I think that some people are going to under estimate what the sedins still meant to this team.  

A guy like EP while extremely talented just won't adjust that quickly.  He is going to need time to adjust to the travel, amount of games etc that this league has. 

13 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think that some people are going to under estimate what the sedins still meant to this team.  

A guy like EP while extremely talented just won't adjust that quickly.  He is going to need time to adjust to the travel, amount of games etc that this league has. 

A season similar to Hischier is reasonably realistic.  What is likely is a late-season slump.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

2 of:

Gaudette

Leipsic

Goldobin

Virtanen

Pettersson 

Thats embarrassing.  You are replace 2 hall of famers with.  Some of the posters on this forum really crack me up.

Where is Old news and his goals against per 60 stats when you need him........

Danny Sedin - 393 goals

Hank Sedin . - 240 goals

Replaced with....

Gaudette . - O goals in NHL 

Leipsic . -  6  goals in NHL 

Goldobin .  12 goals in NHL 

Virtanenm   - 17  goals in NHL 

Pettersson  - O goals in NHL 

Jim Benning's favourite song is....    -  Just trying to stay employed with next to no plan on replacing Hank and Danny.....

17 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Took Hank and Danny 3-4 years... expect the same for EP......

37 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We ran last year with a shambles of a 4th line.  Having a dependable 4th line who can be trusted in defensive situations allows the kids to play in more offensive situations and make the occasional youthful mistake.  Green will be able to set up our youth to succeed. 

Having a decent 4th line will not help you much when you don't have a decent first and second line.......

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats embarrassing.  You are replace 2 hall of famers with.  Some of the posters on this forum really crack me up.

Danny Sedin - 393 goals

Hank Sedin . - 240 goals

Replaced with....

You're making lots of pointless noise, but answer this;

What do you propose?

To bring back the Sedins for another year?  Do you think that would yield better results this year?

Or to have chased some expensive top 6 UFA forwards to get in the way of that list of young players you find "embarrassing"?

Seriously - do you have any point whatsover, let alone an alternative prescription?

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Danny Sedin - 393 goals

Hank Sedin . - 240 goals

Replaced with....

Jim Benning's favourite song is....    -  Just trying to stay employed with next to no plan on replacing Hank and Danny.....

:huh: moving the goal posts again I see... Whine all off season about the Youth not getting a shot because of veterans in the way now 2 vets have retired and you whine that the vets aren't here to score...

I also don't understand why you're comparing hall of fame career total goal stats to rookies just breaking in. 

Typical drama for the sake of drama from you and it's utterly ridiculous and really shows how truly clueless you are about the game. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Having a decent 4th line will not help you much when you don't have a decent first and second line.......

Yep, having someone reliable to take care of the defensive heavy lifting couldn't possibly allow Green to give more offensive starts to help develop our youth into good top 6 players.  Kesler didn't explode offensively until Malhotra signed here (who people also moaned was overpaid at the time).  Virtanen was playing in a grinding role last year because there was no one else to do it.  Now he can play with more skilled players and develop offensively.

Archived