The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for the 2018-2019 Vancouver Canucks to make the playoffs?

Yung1

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

The leaf made the playoff coz they have 10 players scoring over 40 points and plenty in the high 50/60 and a point a game guy in Ashton Matthew who missed like 1/4 of the season.. the Canucks last year have 5 players over 50 points.. 3 of them are gone.. that’s like expecting half the roster to have a huge career year. Ya that’s not happening 

14 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Didn't the Stanley Cup Champs only have 5 Players  over 40 points and 4 players over 50?::D

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure if u have high end elite talent to off set the lack of secondary scoring. if u spread the points from ovechkin backstrom and kuz then it's as if they have 10 40+ points guys. do we have multiple or even 1 player atm that's scoring 80+ points a year? right now no.. future possibly.. unless boeser horvat and petterson comes in and score 70+ points each. we won't have the secondary scoring to compete

So not sure what your argument is then. I thought you were arguing that in order to make the playoffs you needed 10 players scoring over 40 points such as your example of Toronto. So I showed you a team that has half that number who won the Cup. Now you are changing it to something else?

What matters is what your 23 man roster does as a unit and who cares about individual numbers. Does it matter how the goal goes in? As long as it counts is the only thing that concerns to me.

On 2018-08-13 at 1:51 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I noticed last year the Canucks had 11 OT losses and lost all 5 shootouts. Henrik Sedin scored a whopping 3 goals all last year.

I'm thinking, with Pettersson and a full year of Boeser, an improved Virtanen, the Canucks could really improve their OTs and shootouts. Those extra points add up.

I love the sedans but sometimes I just wished they started some others  during those shoot outs.. As for OT so many won in prime fashion by them... Hard to sit em. But sometimes they should have sat and let some young guns out with the gusto to go at speed needed for the 3 on 3. 

Also watching lackluster of emotion king Loui E jail fart the puck at the net... God looking forward to EP40! Jake and Boeser taking those first 3, and followed up with Bo for the win our new mister clutch? Super stoked for this year. Growing pains of course. More excitement hell yes.

55 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I love the sedans but sometimes I just wished they started some others  during those shoot outs.. As for OT so many won in prime fashion by them... Hard to sit em. But sometimes they should have sat and let some young guns out with the gusto to go at speed needed for the 3 on 3. 

Also watching lackluster of emotion king Loui E jail fart the puck at the net... God looking forward to EP40! Jake and Boeser taking those first 3, and followed up with Bo for the win our new mister clutch? Super stoked for this year. Growing pains of course. More excitement hell yes.

The 'sedans' were rarely ever put out for the shootout.

What would it take for the Canucks to make the playoffs.

Some things that would help:

- Obviously, a lot of young players taking a big step forward.  Especially in the goal scoring department.

- Winning a trade, and not a we got a decent guy like Baertschi.  Win a big trade where like Tampa with Sergachev.  

- No key injuries

- Improved coaching

- Improved goaltending

- Finally, there's a lot of potential for bad teams here

Capture.JPG.da1e963b438d5fc32db36f73a681202c.JPG

Vegas could fall off 

LA getting old

Anaheim also some of their key guys past their prime

Calgary is a wildcard, could stink

Edmonton same thing

Arizona can only get so much better since last season.

If our division stinks, it will mean extra points for us.  

However, it took 95 points to get into the playoffs in the West last year.  So Vancouver needs around a 22 point improvement.  Not going to happen, but if it does it should be a thrilling ride because it would mean some of our guys playing amazing.  

Man what happened to the Pacific.  The whole division stinks.  

Hard to argue that there should be three playoff teams coming from the Pacific.

I think we end up in the basement of the Pacific.  Hard to say for rest of league.

The NY teams, Ottawa, Montreal and maybe Carolina given how bad their goal tending is are our competition for league basement this year.

I am in agreement with most of the people in here that it will be a long shot for us to make the playoffs. Let alone win the Stanley Cup. If we did win the cup next year it would be a miracle and surely a movie would need to be made!!!

What actors should be cast for our team roster? Help me finish this off.....

Francesco Aquilini- 

Jim Benning -

Travis Green- Phil Michelson 

Bo Horvat- 

Brock Boeser- Chris Hemsworth 

Sven Baertchi - Robbert Pattinson 

Loui Eriksson - Christopher Walken

Elias Pettersson - Dj Qualls

Brandon Sutter - 

Nicholai Goldobin - Nicholai Goldobin

Jay Beagle - Chris Pratt

Jake Virtanen - Ryan Gosling 

Antoine Roussel- Chael Sonnen 

Tim Schaller- 

Brendan Leipsic - Nick Porazzo 

Markus Granlund-

Sam Gagner-

Alex Edler- 

Chris Tanev-

Erik Gudbranson- Christian Bale 

Troy Stetcher- Ruby Rose

Michael Del Zotto-

Derrik Pouliot-

Ben Hutton-

Olli Juolevi-

Jacob Markstrom-

Thatcher Demko- 

18 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Henrik you're correct, 0-5 but Daniel had his fair share 4 - 29. Ahead of only Taylor Pyatt in team history with his 13. Some %

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sedin-shootout-moves-canucks

Ps the Sedans misspelling was intentionally done. 

That article was written Dec 2017. You must have missed this part...

It’s been two seasons since Daniel has attempted a shot in the shootout, and three years since Henrik’s had a chance.

Since the shootout began (05/06) the Canucks have gone to a shootout 125 times. Henrik has 7 attempts and Daniel 31 (they got 2 more chance each after announcing their retirement). Over half of Daniels attempts came in the first 4 years of the shootout. Compare that Chicago who went went to the shootout 129 times. Toews 89 attempts, Kane 98, Sharp 62. San Jose has gone to the shootout 129 times. Pavelski has 100 attempts and defenseman Dan Boyle has 35. There's actually 5 defensemen in the league with more career attempts than Daniel. Mason Raymond has more attempts than Daniel and Naslund had more attemps in just four seasons before retiring.

I'll stand by my statement.

The only thing missing is the mentality of winner's...

Once these kids realize how good they are ...they sky is the limit.

We are building a team of leader's, winner's of everything there is to win outside of the NHL ...as soon as they get the confidence going this team will skyrocket.

This year we contend for a playoff spot unless we have massive injuries to top player's and we make the playoffs if our top 9 forwards and our top 5-6 D remain healthy...! 

Archived